Whats a Hero 03/15/2003 04:30 AM CST
The problem is a lack of understanding. What?s a Hero? It?s simple really but can only be explained by clearing up what is not a hero first.

1.A hero is not someone who survives... surviving is not heroic its surviving (most survivers are given hero status because of this misconception) Example: he spent 5 years in a prison camp and lived ...how heroic. No he survived; no act of heroics was done. However you don?t have to die to be a hero).

2.A hero is not someone who does something for self-promotion or in order to become a hero. Example climbing Mount Everest after the first guy did it is not heroic.

3. A hero isn't a person who does a job that helps people and doesn't risk himself.

4. Sports figures of any kind, a job or act that puts an individual or other people in danger, for the entertainment of the individual or others is never a hero.

So what is a Hero ...as I said its simple any person known or unknown (most heroes are unknown) who risks himself (death or permanent damage) for the benefit of another individual or people as a whole.

So where the Astronauts of the Columbia heroes... ofcourse they risked themselves trying to benefit of others... wiether or not the whole space program fails to do anything to help mankind is not important. What important is that they risked their lives in the attempt to benefit others. Just like the fireman who runs in to the empty building to help people who may or may not be there and dies trying.

PS. to say someone doing his or her job can't be a hero is just bull. Some might argue that accepting a job that may kill you, but could help others, in and of itself is heroic.
Re: Whats a Hero 03/15/2003 01:48 PM CST
Dustin Hoffman and Geena Davis where in a movie that I think was called "Hero". This movie ponders the question, 'What is a hero?' In it, Hoffman's character is a kind of guy ya love to hate who becomes a hero when he rescues the lives of some plane crash victims, and the Genna Davis character is a reporter who puts the media spin on the "hero." The movie didn't do well at the box office or with most of the critics, but I really liked it and have not seen or even heard of the movie since it's initial release in the theaters.

"It's a dog-eat-dog world, and unfortunately the dogs are winning."
- M.D.A. (aka Fishking - player of Salbir)