Prev_page Previous 1
Nasa and the future 02/02/2003 07:53 PM CST
Heres an Idea..... take all that money people want to waste attacking a tiny desert country and put it into Nasa where it can build a future and expand science and knowledge.

100 years ago we rode horses up dirt roads to get to work, today we can go to the moon and send probes to all the planets and beyond. We have no Idea where we will be in 100 years. If you asked people in 1903 will we go into space they would thought you a fool. We have no idea how far we can go in another 100 years only if we stop do we know where will be in 2103.

Mike father of a 10 month old, who he hopes will be the first man to step on Mars.
Re: Nasa and the future 02/02/2003 08:02 PM CST
I wonder if the pilgrims way back when ever said "Okay. Some of us have died. Time to give up and go home"....

People go into space knowing they take risks...they consider it well worth it. So do I.

-Chris

The Beginning of the End or Something.
Re: Nasa and the future 02/02/2003 09:50 PM CST
Hoping we colonize the moon, mars and anything else...Heh. I sure as hell hope not, after how bad we cocked up our chance here. "Is there life on other planets?" "If there is, make it live on this little patch...We'll take the rest!"

It's also funny like someone else said...There was alread a plane crash this year with 21 deaths. 3 times the people that died on the shuttle.

NASA's a private company (though backed with a ton of Gov't funding)...Really, very few people died....And as the news has been saying...Hardly anyone even cares about space anymore, and few people nkow what shuttle's up at any given time. While it doesn't surprise me that it made news, I am surprised that people are making this big of a deal out of it. 7 people and a private companies space ship...How's that more important than 100 people and a private companies plane, which happens just about every year? Just kinda odd.

Don't mean any disrespect to the folks that were on the shuttle. My condolences to all their friends and family. Just surprised by the countries sudden interest.
Re: Nasa and the future 02/02/2003 09:58 PM CST
>NASA's a private company (though backed with a ton of Gov't funding)...

Umm...no. They're a division of the air force if I remember.

Steel.

A good friend is the one that bails you out of jail. A best friend is the one sitting next to you saying, "Damn that was cool, let's do that again!"
Re: Nasa and the future 02/02/2003 09:59 PM CST
Sorry about that last post, didn't mean to sound rude. I agree with your point, was just setting the record straight.

Steel.

A good friend is the one that bails you out of jail. A best friend is the one sitting next to you saying, "Damn that was cool, let's do that again!"
Re: Nasa and the future 02/02/2003 11:05 PM CST
>>Hoping we colonize the moon, mars and anything else...Heh. I sure as hell hope not, after how bad we cocked up our chance here. "Is there life on other planets?" "If there is, make it live on this little patch...We'll take the rest!"

Best part about colonizing the moon and mars...ect...is that there isn't much we could do to them...I mean, as far as we know, it's not like we're gonna upset the delicate balance of the ecosystem or anything.

We could nuke the moon for fun on weekends, and probably not have to worry about killing off some ultra rare spieces.

It sucks for the 7 astronauts. I hope they get tech right up there before I die so I can be a space explorer...or at least transfer my brain into a robot ninja body...cause I wanna go like them, like a shooting star.

Brandon
Re: Nasa and the future 02/03/2003 07:29 AM CST
<<Umm...no. They're a division of the air force if I remember.

It is an independant agency of the federal goverment. The same as FCC, FEMA, CIA, FDIC, EPA etc.

<<I mean, as far as we know, it's not like we're gonna upset the delicate balance of the ecosystem or anything.

Actually we plan to change the balance of the ecosystem by terraforming. That is why it is so important to find water on Mars.

<<I feel for the families and my heart reaches out to them in this trajedy. I also feel we have so much left to discover. I fear, the next major event for NASA will be putting a man on Mars in 2015 or so, and afterwards the space program will lay stagnant as it did after we landed on the Moon. We need to boost funding in space program ten fold in the coming years. To smile and give encouragement to our children when they gaze up at the stars and say 'I'm going to visit them someday'. We landed on the moon 33 years ago and yet we claim to have won the space race. I think we have a long way to run.

As nice as it is to be done with the Cold War, it did provide great incentive.

<<So why expand the Shuttle Program when NASA could take that funding and put it towards the next generation of space travel?

The next generation of space travel requires a lot of research. The major step in this research is the 'establishment of a Permanent Human Presence in Space' this is ISS and the shuttle is the means of transport for crew.

Sylvado

"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths."
Re: Nasa and the future 02/03/2003 07:45 AM CST
>People go into space knowing they take risks...they consider it well worth it. So do I.

I asked my wife this type of question, I asked her if you could go into space for 16 days, but you know for a fact you will die on the 17th day, would you go?

If you didn't go you would live until you are 101 years old... what would you choose?

She made my heart proud when she said she would go into space, add that on top of she is afraid of flying and heights...

Qivalon~ Man was ment to explore, keeping people grouded makes us cattle.
Re: Nasa and the future 02/03/2003 07:57 AM CST
My sister is a Scientist in federal employ. She was kinda depressed about the shuttle situation. It was posed to her "So, if you knew in advance that the shuttle trip YOU were on was going to have a chance of disintegration during landing, would you still go?" ...think... "Yes, absolutely." ... "So did they."

Andy
Re: Nasa and the future 02/03/2003 04:52 PM CST
Well I do believe we need to invest in space exploration I just think that sending people into space at this point in time is just too costly. We need to wait for time when it is more cost effective to do so. As for now, I believe in just sending robotic probes. While I understand robotics isn't the best substitution for humans, it is cost effective and doesn't have a life to be destroyed or loved ones to be hurt by their destruction. Most effects of space on humans has already been conducted, and what NASA wants to do with humans in space just seems better served by robots at this point in time.
Re: Nasa and the future 02/03/2003 07:18 PM CST
>Well I do believe we need to invest in space exploration I just think that sending people into space at this point in time is just too costly. We need to wait for time when it is more cost effective to do so. As for now, I believe in just sending robotic probes. While I understand robotics isn't the best substitution for humans, it is cost effective and doesn't have a life to be destroyed or loved ones to be hurt by their destruction. Most effects of space on humans has already been conducted, and what NASA wants to do with humans in space just seems better served by robots at this point in time.

One slight problem, people are not motivated to by what machines can do. People are motivated by what other people can do.

For instance we send robots to moving comets to take samples, and test everything under the sun, but does anyone really care what a robot can do? However, you tell someone that I put a person on a big piece of rock with no atmosphere, no water, no trace of anything and I got this same person back home, that same feat becomes exciting.

People start asking questions like: How did they get there? How long did it take? How did you find your way? Why did you go? How can I help? Who helped you? Can I do that? What did you do so you could do that?

I could go on for hours, but I am sure you can make your own questions.

Motivation is the key to exploration, and no robot no matter how good, will replace you when you come home from the moon or the ISS, and say "I made it, and I think I will do it again!"

Qivalon~ Babbling again about space exploration
Re: Nasa and the future 02/03/2003 11:13 PM CST
>>Well I do believe we need to invest in space exploration I just think that sending people into space at this point in time is just too costly. We need to wait for time when it is more cost
effective to do so. As for now, I believe in just sending robotic probes. While I understand robotics isn't the best substitution for humans, it is cost effective and doesn't have a life to be destroyed or loved ones to be hurt by their destruction. Most effects of space on humans has already been conducted, and what NASA wants to do with humans in space just seems better served by robots at this point in time.

I disagree. Other than the possible Cost effectivness, I don't think it's better to send probes than humans. One is that it doesn't handle situations better than humans would do. There is not the perceptive human around to second guess something or notice something. I think in a new situation, it's best to send humans in first, then send probes for the finer details of things, then finally the mass 'migration' however you see it.

If I could, fly into space for 16 days to see, experiment, enjoy something that few can...it would be worth it to die for. It's not meaningless nor pointless. It's discovery, exploration...to me, it's the true meaning of life.

There was a sci-fi movie where people got radio trans. from space...made a huge machine that the signals told it to, then sent a person into it...There was alot like the religious zealot who blew up the first one...but there was a second one made...and this woman got to go on it...The experiences she had could not have truely been caputred by machine (As saw when her video fill didn't record or whatever)...

The loss of loved ones is hard, but you will all eventually lose nearly everyone you love...it's predetermined and no one has any say in it. Best to go brightly, like a shooting star than like a candle whos light flickers and dies slowly...

Brandon
Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 01:27 AM CST
>>Other than the possible Cost effectivness, I don't think it's better to send probes than humans. One is that it doesn't handle situations better than humans would do.<<

Eh, while I agree manned missions should continue (mainly for morale purposes), this isn't entirely accurate.

Space isn't like Star Trek. As my Astronomy 101 instructor said way back when, "Astronomy deals with figures that you are not able to comprehend. When you finish this course, you will still be unable to."

Even ignoring the fact that this is playing out on nearly unimaginable scales, space is the ultimate hostile environment. Extremes of temperate, radiation, and gravity unlike anything on Earth, combinde the utterly foreign (and, over the long term, debilitating) condition of microgravity. You don't just park your space shuttle, get out and kick the tires.

To put this in focus: As the NASA spokesmen keep saying, even if the Columbia's crew knew of damage to the tiles, they did not have the capability to fix them during the mission.

Human ingenuity is a remarkable thing, but you're dealing with a situation where error margins can be thin enough to slice tomaetos with. Automated and teleoperated missions have an enormous place in our expansion into space. I believe Humanity's place in space is to expand into near infinite room to grow and consume near infinite resources. A large portions of taming that wild frontier, however, does not require direct human involvement.

Larcus' Player
Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 07:38 AM CST
<<There was a sci-fi movie where people got radio trans. from space...made a huge machine that the signals told it to, then sent a person into it...There was alot like the religious zealot who blew up the first one...but there was a second one made...and this woman got to go on it...The experiences she had could not have truely been caputred by machine (As saw when her video fill didn't record or whatever)...

The movie was "Contact" the basis for it was SETI. The book was written by Carl Sagan and if you want some real science from him get the book "Cosmos".

Sylvado

Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 07:42 AM CST
<<Human ingenuity is a remarkable thing, but you're dealing with a situation where error margins can be thin enough to slice tomaetos with. Automated and teleoperated missions have an enormous place in our expansion into space. I believe Humanity's place in space is to expand into near infinite room to grow and consume near infinite resources. A large portions of taming that wild frontier, however, does not require direct human involvement.

One of the most important aspects of science is observation. We can make machines to conduct experiments in space, take measurements and send back the data but they do not have the reasoning abilities of a human to observe unexpected events and make adjustments. This is why it is the best of the best that get selected to go into space.

Sylvado

Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 08:05 AM CST
>>Well I do believe we need to invest in space exploration I just think that sending people into space at this point in time is just too costly. We need to wait for time when it is more cost effective to do so. As for now, I believe in just sending robotic probes.

God bless the media.

One-way overflight of Mars.. where do I sign up and do I get to be the pilot?

I'd call myself Major Tom, but it would probably piss off the robotic probes.

Seriously... when do I get to go?

~Kyrrian
Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 08:42 AM CST
<<I believe in just sending robotic probes.

Recent experience with robotic probes to Mars has resulted in a very poor ROI.

Sylvado

Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 10:14 AM CST
> Recent experience with robotic probes to Mars has resulted in a very poor ROI.

But has proven the worth of the Martian's SDI project. :)

-Andy
Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 10:44 AM CST
<<> Recent experience with robotic probes to Mars has resulted in a very poor ROI.

<<But has proven the worth of the Martian's SDI project. :)>>

And how important proper notation is on equations to differentiate between Metric and English calculations.

Personally I am saddened by the loss of the astronauts, I believe the achievments that NASA made in space exploration is phenomenal, and it really gives America something to be proud of. However, I disdain bambozling answers, and I have noticed two other posts regarding the Nasa statement about how even if they were aware of the damage to the heat tiles they couldn't have fixed it. While I have no doubt that they would not have been able to do anything about the tiles right then and there, they did not have to risk a re-entry. They could have stayed at the space station and been resupplied by the Russian launch that just happened, until we could schedule a rescue mission to get them back. To issue that statement and just dismiss their lives with an "well we couldn't have fixed it anyway" is a disgrace. I am glad they didn't have that attitude during the Apollo 13 mishap.

Motley
Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 11:19 AM CST
<<They could have stayed at the space station and been resupplied by the Russian launch that just happened, until we could schedule a rescue mission to get them back

No, the space station was not in their orbital path and they did not have the fuel to make the drastic change that would have been necessary. Bottom line, they reveiwed the film and determined that it was not a problem. It was not a unique event. Maybe they were wrong but that does not make them accountable for the failure, they have redundant systems to allow for failures but certain phases do not allow for options.

Sylvado

Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 11:38 AM CST
>>Space isn't like Star Trek. As my Astronomy 101 instructor said way back when, "Astronomy deals with figures that you are not able to comprehend. When you finish this course, you will still be unable to."

I do not think of space like star trek, star wars, starbucks...

My astronomy prof. said basically the same thing, but later in the year that no robot could handle all the situations that would, could arise since, robots lack one very important part of exploration...imagination.

Humans have yet to make a machine that can perform as well as another human...From most of the science shows I watch...we arn't even close.

Space exploration will be humans with a bunch of probes out there for quick reponce times...not something like 16 hours or something.

Brandon
Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 03:17 PM CST
>>My astronomy prof. said basically the same thing, but later in the year that no robot could handle all the situations that would, could arise since, robots lack one very important part of exploration...imagination.<<

Mine didn't, though he did start talking about the difference between 'big, strong' male stars and 'petite, thin, slow burning' female stars. Now that I think about it, he was a heck of a lot like my grand father.

I conceed the point about humans versus automated probes. While I still think automated missions should continue to lead the ragged edge of our exploration, I admit humans can bring something valuable to the table.

>>To issue that statement and just dismiss their lives with an "well we couldn't have fixed it anyway" is a disgrace. I am glad they didn't have that attitude during the Apollo 13 mishap.<<

See Sylvando's Player's responce. As I wrote, you don't just park your space shuttle in orbit and kick the tires.

If we had realized something was particularly odd about the launch -- remembering that foam hitting the shuttle wasn't a unique event, and that analyists determined it was safe -- I assume we would have tried a tricky reentry anyways. While it's been awhile since I read up on Apollo 13, so feel free to point out my error here, IIRC that situation is "They're going to come down anyways, so we might as well give them half a chance." They rolled the dice in somewhat the same way that Columbia's crew did.

Yous rolls yous dice yous takes yous chances.

This isn't to belittle the Columbia's crew or the deaths at all, rather I see it as an affirmation of their purpose. To die because there is no other way is perferable to dying because of an error on their part. I'm not a fan of most forms of martyrdom. In my mind, the only purposeful death that is worth the cost is one where the death is unavoidable, and the people involved spend their last moments doing one last push for what they believe in. I can think of nothing more honorable then the pragmatic martyr.

Larcus' Player
Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 03:58 PM CST
In some, the aspiration to explore and adventure will always outweight the potential risk.

In some, fear will always overrule the ecstacy of potentially touching another world.

How many of you remember the first step Neil Armstrong took? Not just in a film in school, but watched as his foot touched the lunar dust -- and held your breath wondering how deep it would sink -- and trembled as you exhaled with relief? Do you recall the awe of looking to the moon, knowing a tiny speck was walking around somewhere up there and wondering when you might trace his footsteps?

Do you ever feel cheated of the potential thrown away? Why didn't we continue our outward journey? Where might we be now if we'd continued with the same energy as we used to get there? Of the various paths I've regreted our nation has taken, the retreat from space is the one I regret with the most bitterness. Most younger people I've spoken with about it don't see it that way, or understand it in the same way I do -- but then, they weren't there. And their fantasies of space remain just fantasies fed by Hollywood instead of realities fueled by real rockets.
Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 07:08 PM CST
>How many of you remember the first step Neil Armstrong took? Not just in a film in school, but watched as his foot touched the lunar dust -- and held your breath wondering how deep it would sink -- and trembled as you exhaled with relief?

Yep. & watched it on a Black & White TV too. My dad propped me in front of the television for every Apollo mission & told me to watch it, since I was watching something very important.

>Do you ever feel cheated of the potential thrown away? Why didn't we continue our outward journey?

As a Navy pilot, yeah, me & my friends all wish our space program was a Space Program. That being said, we'd all give our eye teeth to jump on the next shuttle mission.

>And their fantasies of space remain just fantasies fed by Hollywood instead of realities fueled by real rockets.

Hollywood can't get any flying movies right. Especially if it's military or involves a helicopter. So how can you expect them to get outer space right?

Paerr
Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 07:21 PM CST
<<Hollywood can't get any flying movies right. Especially if it's military or involves a helicopter. So how can you expect them to get outer space right?

I guess you are going to try and tell me that Jan Michael Vincent couldn't hover at 50,000 feet.

Sylvado

Re: Nasa and the future 02/04/2003 08:26 PM CST
>I guess you are going to try and tell me that Jan Michael Vincent couldn't hover at 50,000 feet.

Not even if he was in an H-53. Don't forget "whisper mode" & "afterburners" for helicopters. Now Hollywood did get one movie right. Terminator, T-2. The scene where the T-2 is flying the helo after the police truck, you see him shooting a gun with his left hand. If you look carefully, the T-2 grew a second left hand for the collective, so he could still fly it. Other than that, Hollywood can't get anything right.

On a serious note, hopefully NASA will get funding to develop & build some better designed ships, which can replace the shuttle within the decade. The shuttle is great, but it's still '70's technology.

& we can use the money from all the oil we're going to get in the next few months to pay for it. (that should put those conspiracy freaks in an uproar)

Paerr
Re: Nasa and the future 02/05/2003 09:54 PM CST
>>Space isn't like Star Trek.<<

No it isn't. Now. When it does happen, its likely to be very different. That doesn't make it scientifically wrong, however.

Where's the line between science fiction and science fact? Leonardo Da Vinci's flying machine? Jules Verne's submarines? Minute to minute communication across the entire planet? A man on the moon?

I wish more people would dream of the future as science fiction writers do. Maybe then we'd actually get to "the future" before we manage to kill ourselves.

Tam
Re: Nasa and the future 02/05/2003 10:50 PM CST
>>Space isn't like Star Trek.<<

Space is big. ::nods sagely::

Steel.

Re: Nasa and the future 02/06/2003 01:29 AM CST
>>I wish more people would dream of the future as science fiction writers do. Maybe then we'd actually get to "the future" before we manage to kill ourselves.<<

Since my responce is going to be completely off topic for this folder, I'm going to save the board monitors the trouble and move it myself to Social Side, Claims to the Highest Circle.

Larcus' Player
Re: Nasa and the future 02/12/2003 08:50 PM CST
>>Space isn't like Star Trek

It's more like it than you think. My physics teacher in high school liked to talk about how some of the concepts in the shows/movies are based on real-life theories, the writers just take them to a presumed conclusion.

For instance ... waves can be particles and particles can be waves. In theory, your body has a frequency and if a proper carrier wave were found, you could be picked up and carried along. Sounds like a transporter to me. Problem is, making sure all the molecules end up in the right place ... and that's after you find a way to disrupt the carrier wave at the proper spot and do so without any loss of the signal content.

Another example is the principle of warp drive. All based on tachyions, an actual scientific theory. We just have a hard time proving it because the whole concept is that a tachyion only exists at speeds greater than light. Since we only know how to measure things using light-speed instrumentation (electrical), we just can't prove/disprove it yet. But certain evidence supports it, thus the theory was born.

People once said the speed of sound couldnt be broken. I am sure the pilots of the Concorde, amongst many others, would beg to differ. My only regret is I will likely not live long enough to see where the wonders of scientific advancement will take us.

~~~Krin
Re: Nasa and the future 02/13/2003 04:21 PM CST
<<My only regret is I will likely not live long enough to see where the wonders of scientific advancement will take us.>>

And that is something that we all pray for......

Arctuniol <hums, whistles, slinks away>

"In an open world, Who needs windows or gates?"
Re: Nasa and the future 02/16/2003 05:46 PM CST
Krin, your right about that too.

Another example is "Ion Drive". In a star trek episode, they met a group of aliens that used an ion drive. Not too long ago, we sent a satalite out that uses an Ion Drive. Not as "advanced" as they though in star trek, but still, we did use it.

Was on "the science Channel" a few weeks ago.

Dark Angel Crusinix

"Lonely are the wise, Alone are the Brave, Quiet are the Strong, Disconnected are the philisophical and cold are the logical"
Re: Nasa and the future 02/16/2003 08:46 PM CST
Ayep, and their "impulse engines" ... does anyone realize what they are, really? Fusion reactors. Just exhaust the superheated helium that results from the fusion out through nozzles and voila ... jet action. (most people hear "impulse engine" and get some sort of twisted design of a combustion engine in their head ... internal combustion is NOT the only form of engine ;-))

Now put an extremely high-temp high-pressure version of a steam turbine in those exhaust vents ... there's your "impulse power system" or, as they called it, "auxiliary power".

And they use the same hydrogen (actually, deuterium, aka the hydrogen found in "heavy water" ... hydrogen molecules with neutrons they don't normally have) they use as their "matter" for the matter-antimatter reaction in the warp core.

Anti-matter exists, it has been proven in a particle accelerator. It just doesn't exist long enough for any of it to accumulate in such a mass as to be observed under normal conditions ... collision with a single particle of matter and POOF its gone. And since those particle accelerator incidents usually result in a particle each of matter (proton) and antimatter (anti-proton) being formed at the same time at close proximity, they almost instantly collide and annihilate each other.

There's only one thing that makes me wonder if we'll reach those new heights: whether the human race can pull themselves together long enough to GET there. Wars, PC fanatics more worried about trivial things than big concepts, greed ...

But as long as we have hope, desire and a dream, that's a start, right?

Those pilots had it. Let's not let their loss take it from us. It was a tragedy. But to back off and not continue the charge would mean they died for NOTHING.

Get that next shuttle on the pad, check it to make sure its as safe as it can be ... then let's get back in the saddle.

~~~Krin
Re: Nasa and the future 02/17/2003 03:39 PM CST
Actually, I believe they've said quite a bit of the universe is antimatter.

As far as shutting down NASA,they got some guys up in a space station that are gonna run out of water in June, so I'm pretty sure we're gonna get started up again soon.

Steel.

A good friend is one who bails you out of jail. A best friend is the one sitting next to you saying "Damn that was cool! Let's do that again!"
Re: Nasa and the future 02/17/2003 08:12 PM CST
>>Actually, I believe they've said quite a bit of the universe is antimatter.<<

In theory, at least the recent ones I've read, half of it is.

Tam
-There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Re: Nasa and the future 02/18/2003 01:45 PM CST
Nasa is not shutting down, Russia is taking over the launches of the manned shuttles, while nasa comes up with new space shuttles. That is what the report is out of Ames, in the stupid paper.

Personally, until we get the world problems finished space travel isn't too viable in my oppinion.

Arctuniol

"In an open world, Who needs windows or gates?"
Re: Nasa and the future 02/21/2003 04:32 PM CST
Calvin once said something tot he effect of "we should probably fix our onw planet before screwing up anyone else's."

I'm too lazy to pour through 10 calvin and hobbes books to find the real quote.

Steel.

A good friend is one who bails you out of jail. A best friend is the one sitting next to you saying "Damn that was cool! Let's do that again!"
Re: Nasa and the future 02/22/2003 02:00 AM CST
The main problem with 'fix Earth first' concepts is that, well, screwing it up is what we do. Humans, by existing, pollute and consume resources. When you add the general chaos Humanity creates for itself as a matter of course, the problem becomes worse.

I heard 'Economics' defined earlier last week as "Managing infinite need with finite resources." That's an excellent way to look at Earth and its problems. Earth is a finite resource, while Humanity has the capacity to be infinite (and, over the past three hundred years on a J-curve, we're sure as Hell pressing the point to its limit).

The final move out into space will eventually lead back to that point: Additional room to expand, additional resources to consume. The most profitable (that is to say, the quickest, and that involves the least chance of dieback for Humanity) way is to begin this expansion well before the Earth's resources are consumed. Trying to wait out human nature for a Trek-like utopia to develop will almost assuredly put our descendents in a terrible position a few centuries down the road.

Larcus' Player
Re: Nasa and the future 02/22/2003 04:59 PM CST
<< Personally, until we get the world problems finished space travel isn't too viable in my oppinion.

Jerry Pournelle had a book out in the sometime in the early '80s that talked a lot about this. I personally still agree with his conclusions... get out in space sooner (now); establish a presence and get regular transits going now. If we wait for this mythical time when 'world problems' are fixed it'll likely be too late, or just no longer feasible to ever try.

Glenlivet
Re: Nasa and the future 02/22/2003 06:56 PM CST
What is interesting about letting things lie and trying to "clean up our act" is that unless the entire world starts doing so now in a united front, the world's natural resources are going to be depleted within the next 100 years or so. (according to the last scientific journal I read on that junk. Amazing what you can find in doctor's offices.)

To me, that says get our butts into space and looking for new resources while at the same time we are trying to clean up how we do things down here.

But, if we had to choose one, and I was making the choice, I would choose space exploration over trying to clean this place up, because getting the world to cooperate is a huge joke in and of itself.

Shawn the guy once known as Saliar
Prev_page Previous 1