Tragic 02/01/2003 08:02 AM CST
Not sure if this is the right folder, but for those not watching the news. It seems the space shuttle Columbia has broken up, just a horrible thing to be happening right now.
Re: Tragic 02/01/2003 08:40 AM CST
It is tragic, the lives lost.

It reminds me of when Challenger exploded. I was sitting at home watching the lift off on TV, that was pretty scary and I that was just on TV.

Genneron
Re: Tragic 02/01/2003 08:52 AM CST
>>It reminds me of when Challenger exploded.

Especially considering this week was the anniversary.
Re: Tragic 02/01/2003 08:57 AM CST
>>It reminds me of when Challenger exploded.

>>Especially considering this week was the anniversary.

May they all rest in peace.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Tragic 02/01/2003 11:14 AM CST
:( I hadn't had my TV on all day and popped on the boards to see if there had been any GM announcements. This wasn't the sort of announcement I was looking for, though. :(

a very sad Annee
Re: Tragic 02/01/2003 11:34 AM CST
=( Very hard to take in. My heart and prayers go out to the crew and their familys. Was hoping to never see anything like that of the Challenger again.

Elizabella =(
Re: Tragic 02/01/2003 11:37 AM CST
The news just played Husband's commemoration to the Apollo and the Challenger from earlier this week. Seems odd that it's now become his eulogy.

I can still remember where I was sitting in the classroom in highschool when it was announced that Challenger had blown up. At that time the Columbia was the newest of the space shuttle family. I'm still waiting for it to sink in....
Re: Tragic 02/01/2003 11:58 AM CST
Hey, I play a Moon Mage for a reason. Astronomy is kinda a hobby.

It's a tragedy, both for the loss of human life and the fact that NASA is going to be entering a dark hour. Already a few internet pundits are claiming we should scrap the agency. FOX News usually isn't far behind them.

One thing a singer learns during his training; if you screw up on stage, you keep going. You don't falter, you don't stop, and you don't back track. Hopefully the accountants learn something similiar in business school.

Larcus' Player
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 02:08 AM CST
>Already a few internet pundits are claiming we should scrap the agency.

And that would be a great insult to the memory of Columbia's crew, not to mention Challenger and Apollo 1.

Qreyq

Come to the Pack House!
http://www.rakashpack.8m.com

Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 02:15 AM CST
>Already a few internet pundits are claiming we should scrap the agency.

NASA and the Columbia have had countless successful missions before this. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the famous deaths are the ONLY deaths that have resulted from space flight. Between Challenger and Columbia, that's what...20 years at least? They've got quite a record.

I'm curious though, what exactly was their mission?

Steel.

A good friend is the one that bails you out of jail. A best friend is the one sitting next to you saying, "Damn that was cool, let's do that again!"
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 02:34 AM CST
It was a scientific mission. They were doing a variety of different experiments. Here is a link with more information:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/16jan_sts107.htm

One of the reasons the people on the ground were so excited to be welcoming the shuttle back was because of all the data they had gathered. This is a link to information on one of the experiments they were conducting:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/31jan_kelley.htm

~Nechtan's player, who thinks the whole ordeal is just awful.
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 08:31 AM CST
>NASA and the Columbia have had countless successful missions before this. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the famous deaths are the ONLY deaths that have resulted from space flight. Between Challenger and Columbia, that's what...20 years at least? They've got quite a record.

NASA has had 17 accidental deaths by my count in 42 years. Given that part of the job description includes being strapped to a rocket and flung into the vacuum of space, that's an amazing record.

Qreyq

Come to the Pack House!

Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 08:32 AM CST
You know, I was talking to my dad about this yesterday and he asked me what we get out of the space program that makes it worth the risk and the cost. It's a good question, isn't it? The thing is that for the man on the street, it's not immediatly obvious what the space program has done for us. We're still in the infancy of exploration now, and the really tangible results are only beginning to come. I think that NASA needs to spend a bit more time on PR to make sure people understand what comes out of the space program. This was a tragedy, but I think a lot of people would quiet down about shutting the program down if they understood a bit more about it.

______No matter what it is, there is nothing that cannot be done. If one manifests the determination, he can move heaven and earth as he pleases. Moving heaven and earth without putting forth effort is merely a matter of concentration.
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 08:36 AM CST
>You know, I was talking to my dad about this yesterday and he asked me what we get out of the space program that makes it worth the risk and the cost.

Pacemakers and plastic, both developed from discoveries into ways to travel into space. That's just two off the top of my head (remembered from some old NASA commercial with Willie Nelson, of all people).

Qreyq

Come to the Pack House!

Qreyq

Come to the Pack House!

Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 08:56 AM CST
There are HUGE scientific discoveries that have come from the space program. Termpur-pedic matresses and pillows come to mind, but that's only because I really want one!

Espritia
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 09:27 AM CST
<<You know, I was talking to my dad about this yesterday and he asked me what we get out of the space program that makes it worth the risk and the cost. It's a good question, isn't it? The thing is that for the man on the street, it's not immediatly obvious what the space program has done for us. We're still in the infancy of exploration now, and the really tangible results are only beginning to come. I think that NASA needs to spend a bit more time on PR to make sure people understand what comes out of the space program. This was a tragedy, but I think a lot of people would quiet down about shutting the program down if they understood a bit more about it.

The short term gains have already been pointed out. What we have to remember is that this planet has a finite life and we will have to relocate the entire human race eventually. This is millions of years away but star travel is still beyond our understanding let alone our engineering.

Sylvado

"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths."
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 09:49 AM CST
The planet's life span isn't really in question....it will likely continue to exist for another couple billion years before it becomes a completely lifeless ball of rock. Humanity's life span, however, is, in my opinion, drastically shorter, and growing even more so by the day. Most things evolve to suit their environment. Humans evolve their environment foricbly to suit them. With the rate of humanity's expansion, overpopulation is going to be a major problem, if it isn't already (is it? I dunno). The space program is the best way to possibly halt something like the complete erradication of life on earth several billion years before it's time. The people that brave the very high likelyhood of death in order to explore that vast open space of almost nothing, so that we can understand it better and perhaps learn more about how we can not make ourselves go extinct are among the greatest of heroes. Most of the time nowadays you barely even hear about them. "Oh boy, another space ship came back. Yay." Like someone said, most people don't believe they see the immediate results of space exploration. Then again, most people have trouble thinking in the long (long long long long) term. Sure, people will survive for the next decade....how bout century? Millenia? Will humanity be alive in a million years? 10 million? Most species don't last all too long. Will humanity only exist for a mere 20,000 years? Hopefully not. Hopefully, those brave men and women of NASA will find some way that humanity can spread out, extend our reach beyond the moon, out into the stars. Hopefully by that point we will have figured out that until then we all have to be stuck on this rock of a planet together, and not have blown each other to bits by then....I truly envy those people who get to go into space. They have truly gone where no man has gone before. There isn't too much left on earth that is 'undiscovered'. Beyond the atmosphere is one of the biggest adventures yet to be experienced. And those very few individuals have gone there. They really are quite lucky. May they rest in honor, and in peace.

Drakkenn Rarenth, Toggish Minister
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 10:10 AM CST
>>Qreyq>>NASA has had 17 accidental deaths by my count in 42 years. Given that part of the job description includes being strapped to a rocket and flung into the vacuum of space, that's an amazing record.

Compare that to the number of deaths in January 2003 alone for either planes or cars. I seem to recall that there was one plane crash in the news already this year that had 21 deaths on it.

I saw a claim that there is an average of 50,000 fatalities in car acidents in the US each year.

So, 17 deaths in over 40 years (and 3 of them died in a fire, not during an actual launch, IIRC) compared to planes, cars or guns, all of which usually have higher numbers in a single month...

Of course, those space-related fatalities are from the US program only, but are still amazingly low. I just hope that the Columbia incident does not deactivate the space program for an extended duration like the Challenger incident did.

~Kyn
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 11:15 AM CST
>>The planet's life span isn't really in question....it will likely continue to exist for another couple billion years before it becomes a completely lifeless ball of rock.<<

Correct. But for those keeping track at home, let's better define the doomsday scenario.

We are not really worried about Earth being destroyed. Earth as the planet probably is going no where untill the Sun helium flashes, enlarges, and consumes it.

There is serious question as to how long, at our current rate, Earth will remain habitable and useful for Human existance. Sustainability is the clarion call of more rational environmentalists, and we're quite a ways from achieveing it. Both due to resource consumption (which becomes way to convolted and riddled with social-economic issues for my liking), and population growth (third world nations giving us a nice little J curve that is undoubtly going to cause dieback sooner or later).

>>With the rate of humanity's expansion, overpopulation is going to be a major problem, if it isn't already (is it? I dunno).<<

An isolated problem, at the moment, but one that will continue to grow. Generally, we can expect humanity to act like every other animal in the face of the population shooting over the carrying capacity of their habitat: Dieback proportionate to how far above the capacity they rose.

The solar system is there for us to take. It is room to expand and it is resources to consume. It is a long step; not one that can be taken by a sole explorer trying to find the back door to India, or a merchant with a panache for silk. But it is a step that, once taken, will benefit us immesurably.

>>I just hope that the Columbia incident does not deactivate the space program for an extended duration like the Challenger incident did.<<

This is something of a problem.

The US was running itself a bit ragged keeping up various commitments up there (ISS, the telescope fleet, etc) with only four shuttles. Now we're looking at not only trying to cram that work load into a three shuttle rotation, but we also have the prerequisite grounding until everyone works out what happened and how to fix it.

Something is probably going to have to give. My bet is on the ISS.

Larcus' Player
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 11:28 AM CST
>The US was running itself a bit ragged keeping up various commitments up there (ISS, the telescope fleet, etc) with only four shuttles. Now we're looking at not only trying to cram that work load into a three shuttle rotation, but we also have the prerequisite grounding until everyone works out what happened and how to fix it.

>Something is probably going to have to give. My bet is on the ISS.

Better yet, let's build 5 more shuttles, triple the number of astronauts & take our space program seriously. & start commercializing it, to help the private sector start paying for it.

Paerr
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 11:34 AM CST
>>Better yet, let's build 5 more shuttles, triple the number of astronauts & take our space program seriously. & start commercializing it, to help the private sector start paying for it.<<

Not quite that simple. The figures I've heard (note, this is 'off the street' as it were, and unoffical) is nine months to get a shuttle out of mothballs, two years to have the shuttle fleet expanded.

This is, of course, in addition to the time it'll take NASA to decide if they want to keep with the shuttles or invest in the next-generation vehicle.

Larcus' Player
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 02:07 PM CST

Reply Delete

I have two laminated posters on my living room walls, The Earth from space by day and by night. My first thought when I saw them was that there were no borders. All world maps that I have every seen have borders. Of course I always known that borders are not physical properties of the Earth and that they change, but somehow seeing the photographs brought home the notion that we are as one, the human race, regardless of religion, race, or sex. Ultimately we share the same destiny. It is the world that has lost these seven exceptional souls and so mourns the loss alongside Americans.

To halt space exploration based on this tragedy would only compound it. To continue is the only true means of honoring these people. Throughout history there have always been rare people driven to explore the boundries of our world. It was every bit as frightening and dangerous to sail the oceans when the world was thought to be flat. Although the fear that one might sail off the edge was false, the risk of death was certainly present.

The means of honoring the courageous people willing to take the risks inherent in this type of exploration is to support their endevours to our fullest capacity.

Dellica

Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 04:26 PM CST
the all mighty invention of velcrow (sp?) came about from the nasa program. Also better designs for submarines and underwater travel including scuba gear.

Nasa has been the beinging a a number of inventions of everyday life. It is also the reason we have such a better understanding of the earth, seasons, weather, and many sciences (such as gravity and the atomic theory). Scraping the Nasa program would be the most ignorant thing we as a race could do.

The people that feel this way are extremely ignorant and have no grasp on what it means to be human. Its our nature to try and better our selves and evolve into a higher race. Space travel is the next big step for the human race.

I am going to school to become a pilot. One Day I hope to maybe work for Nasa and would be willing to risk myself for the greater good. As an indivudual what could be better then doing something for your entire race? No one lives forever. (although I plan to) We should try to do the most in the little time we have.

Falk
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 05:00 PM CST
If you visit Kennedy Space Center, they have an exhibit of commercial products that have resulted from the space program. The range is utterly amazing... from textiles to plastics to medical equipment to pharmaceuticals to food processing to to communications to environmental systems... not just the number of inventions is stunning but the breadth of fields affected by the space program is staggering. As far as the cost... I believe the exhibit said there is a $7 ($8?) return on investment for every $1 the government spends on NASA's budget.

Now, mind you, NASA doesn't see that money... business does. So the faster we join business with the space industry and let NASA start to become self-supporting, the better. They'd certainly have better funding from private industry than they'll ever get out of the federal budget.
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 05:24 PM CST
I went to space camp once, got to do most of their training routines. I lasted longer than anyone else on that spinning thing with the three rings(I alwasy forget what they're called). They took me off because I was holding up the schedule. I'm rather proud of that.

Steel.

A good friend is the one that bails you out of jail. A best friend is the one sitting next to you saying, "Damn that was cool, let's do that again!"
Re: Tragic 02/02/2003 07:44 PM CST
I really hope that they do not scrap the space program, and that that talk is just people running their mouths for the sake of running their mouths. They do a lot of research on the space flight, plus I just believe there is too much a sense of wonderment and awe with space travel to just say, "Ok, it's done now". I'd like to see in my lifetime the first colonies on the moon, or the first travelers to Mars. I'm still pretty young, so there's gotta be a chance.

>You know, I was talking to my dad about this yesterday and he asked me what we get out of the space program that makes it worth the risk and the cost.

Tang.

~Katrenos
Re: Tragic 02/03/2003 12:23 AM CST
>> How's that more important than 100 people and a private companies plane, which happens just about every year? Just kinda odd.

Not odd at all. There is a huge difference. Every death is important, but not every death is a direct result of serving one's country or humankind. The greater the risk, the greater the honor paid to those who have died. Space exploration carries with it extreme risk. If every time you flew you had a one in a hundred chance of dying would you still fly? How many people have gone into space, and how many have returned alive?

Extreme skiing and snowboarding is also very dangerous. When I hear of fatalities I feel sorry for the families left behind but I also think it is a crazy thing to do, to risk one's life for thrills. When I hear of a plane crash I mourn the loss of life, but these people were not deliberately taking a major risk and they are not doing humankind a service.

Astronauts deserve to be honored in life and certainly in death.

Dellica
Re: Tragic 02/03/2003 03:44 AM CST
<<Better yet, let's build 5 more shuttles, triple the number of astronauts & take our space program seriously. & start commercializing it, to help the private sector start paying for it.>>

The shuttle program is amazingly expensive, each launch costing a small fortune. The expense of the shuttle program and NASA's budget have prevented NASA from expanding their other programs. We have essentially 'lost' the technology for a moon shot (in that it would be almost impossible to do in under 7-10 years) and due to the cost of the shuttle program and cut-backs NASA had to pull funding from programs like Sub-Orbital Flight (commercial companies are still working on this I think.) So why expand the Shuttle Program when NASA could take that funding and put it towards the next generation of space travel?