"The Boy With His Eyes On The Stars" 8/12 and 8/19 08/12/2012 08:38 AM CDT
Tonight is the night.

The newly reformed Tavern Troupe will be holding their début performance at the Arthe Dale Yulugri Wala Theatre at 9:30pm EST. The play which we will be performing is a completely original work that we have created for Sortny and the Traders Consortium. The theme of this play is one of orphans and adoptions, in support of the "Adopt a Young One" movement. Running alongside the performance, is a contest amongst the audience members to guess the identity of our lead role. The first pair to guess correctly will win some of the props we used in the performance.

All are welcome, gifts and drinks will be provided by the Tavern Troupe. Again, this performance will be acted in two-parts so make sure to come back the following weekend to catch the end.

System Announcement: The Night Sun has been snuffed. It's dark again. Now the scary stuff comes out.
Performance Log: "The Boy With His Eyes On The Stars" Part 1 08/18/2012 10:44 AM CDT
We tried to make our performance pretty short and sweet. If you missed it, here it is. Please be sure to come see us in Arthe on Sunday the 19th for the conclusion. We did hit one snag which is reflected in the log, but otherwise it went off pretty well for our début performance.

Few more things... Huge "thank you" to Sortny for contracting the Troupe in the first place and doing me the favor of logging all this for me. Also, congrats to Resero who correctly guessed the stars identity and won our headmistress' broken broomstick cane. :)

>>"The Boy With His Eyes On The Stars" Part 1
>>Announcer - Kasto, Narrator - Arcticdark, Orphan Boy - Silverdrow, Headmistress - Eriniel, Farmer - Mino, Shopkeeper - Naute, Shopkeeper's Wife - Abylina, Ranger - Caraamon.

Wordsmith Kasto came through a curtain.

(Kasto steps forward to the front of the stage. )

Kasto clears his throat.

Kasto says, "Welcome to you all! The newly re-opened Tavern Troupe Performing Order, in association with the Traders Guild Consortium, proudly presents to you its debut production on this wonderful Adoption Day! We bring to you the first half of a two-part presentation from the Troupe's own book of stories and fables, "The Boy with His Eyes on the Stars."

Kasto says, "I'd like to thank you for joining us for this heartrending, heartstopping, and dramatic story about a young boy forced into an orphanage following the death of his parents during the plague. You may even recognize this incredibly talented and well-remembered figure from the annals of Elanthia's own rich history."

Kasto smiles.

Kasto exclaims, "And, I hope some of you will be inspired do some research to discover who this famous character is! We are offering a prize to the first person to guess correctly our young hero's identity, but PLEASE WHISPER those guesses to me when I am out there in the audience with you, while our actors weave the tale here on the stage. And, please remember, the winner cannot be announced until after the conclusion of Part 2. It's a secret!"

Kasto smiles and clears his throat once more.

Kasto says, "And now, as the saying goes..."

Kasto exclaims, "On with the show!"

Kasto applauds.

(Kasto steps back and exits the stage. )

You hear a voice recite from the shadows:

"All but the front corner of the stage brightens as the curtain opens on a scene in the orphanage courtyard. Broken toys and decrepit swings litter the small area. The headmistress of the orphanage is beating a small boy with a broken broomstick. The boy, bruised by the headmistress' blow, clutches his arm."

Silverdrow falls over.
Eriniel coldly exclaims, "Miserable scrawny Elfling!"

Silverdrow cowers in fear.

Eriniel grumbles.

Eriniel mutters something into the air about lazy good-for-nothing brat.

Eriniel glares at Silverdrow.

Silverdrow rubs his left arm.

Eriniel mockingly asks, "You think you're special because you can read? Because you know the name of a star?"

Eriniel rancidly exclaims to Silverdrow, "The plague should have taken you as well!"

Eriniel glowers darkly at Silverdrow.

Eriniel harshly says, "I'll be rid of you yet! Stay put! Don't move a muscle!
A farmer has come to 'inspect' you."

Eriniel sneers at Silverdrow.

Silverdrow looks at Eriniel and recoils.

Eriniel coldly says, "Maybe putting you to good honest work will put some muscles on your scrawny bones, since you aren't worth anything else anyway, A beast of burden might be a perfect fit."

Eriniel harshly exclaims to Silverdrow, "Sniveling runt!"

(Eriniel turns her back on Silverdrow and stomps off the stage. )

A tear runs down Silverdrow's face.

(Silverdrow looks up to the hidden stars behind the veil of daylight. )

(Silverdrow looks miserable. You can only imagine he is missing his parents terribly and the life he once had with them. )

(Eriniel reenters the stage with a haggard and dirty farmer in tow. )

Mino takes a red straw hat off his head.

Eriniel coldly says, "This is the boy. He can use numbers and he can read, I don't know if he can do much else."

Eriniel gestures at Silverdrow.

(Eriniel jabs at the boy with her broomstick. )

Silverdrow winces.

Eriniel harshly exclaims, "Stand up and at least look sharp, boy!"

(Eriniel points at Silverdrow as he slowly stands up. He is obviously in pain. )

Silverdrow stands up.

Eriniel gives Mino a slight nod.

(Mino walks around Silverdrow, carefully analyzing the whelp in front of him. )

Mino scowls at Silverdrow.

Mino mutters something into the air about not wanting scrawny little things.

(Mino shakes his head as he continues to walk around Silverdrow, twisting a battered straw hat in his hands. )

Mino looks over Silverdrow very closely.

Mino frowns at Eriniel.

Mino loudly asks, "I have work t' do, not have stories read t' me! What's all 'dem book smarts gonna do fer me in mah fields?"

Mino glowers darkly at Silverdrow.

Mino asks Eriniel, "How can somethin' so puny help on a farm?"

Mino sighs.

Mino says to Eriniel, "Ya' said ya' could help me. Dis ain't what I call help."

Eriniel gazes down at the floor.

Mino gives Silverdrow a little prod between the shoulder blades.

Silverdrow whimpers softly.

Mino frowns as he grabs one of Silverdrow's hands, holding it out palm up.

Mino says, "Bah! Not even fit t' pull weeds from my garden."

(Mino abruptly drops Silverdrow's hand, as if the mere sight of it offends him. )

Mino grumbles.

Mino shakes his head.

Mino says to Eriniel, "I hopes ya' got somethin' else ta' show me, or I fear you 'ave wasted mah time, woman."

Mino puts a red straw hat on his head.

(Eriniel glares at the boy as though he's the cause for all her problems. )

Mino sneers at Silverdrow.

(Eriniel shakes her broomstick at him, then the two adults return from the way they came. )

Silverdrow ducks his head.

(Silverdrow prays to the stars to please help him endure this. He knows things will get better--the stars showed him. )

Silverdrow sighs.

(Silverdrow gets a look of fierce determination on his face. )

Silverdrow takes a seat.

Silverdrow appears to be concentrating intently on something.

"What is the little fellow to do? How will he endure this torture? He's a bright boy. Surely someone will come forward to save him, or will he hatch out a plan to save himself?"

"The stage goes black. The front corner of the stage lights up showing a desk and the headmistress staring with disdain at Abylina. Abylina and Naute stand before the desk."

Naute stands near Abylina.

Abylina asks Eriniel, "We are interested in finding a child to adopt and take under our care. Maybe one that is bright? To learn my husband's business?"

Eriniel coldly says to Abylina, "All the children need homes. We are an orphanage, you must realize."

Eriniel fixes Abylina with a serene, lofty stare.

Eriniel asks Abylina, "What is this business you speak of?"

Eriniel gazes at Abylina.

Eriniel asks, "Will they be working the garden? Or, perhaps scraping the dirt from fresh skins?"

Eriniel sighs.

Eriniel asks, "Surely, you must know what you are looking for. Did you really come here without an idea of what your needs are?"

Eriniel smirks at Abylina.

Abylina raises an eyebrow in Eriniel's direction.

Abylina slowly says to Eriniel, "No ... none of that."

Abylina ponders.

Abylina says, "Mostly, they will be a member of our family, and perhaps help in our store."

Naute nods to Abylina.

Abylina fidgets nervously.

(Eriniel knits her eyebrows together. )

Eriniel frowns at Abylina as though she's looking at the champion of stupidity.

Eriniel sighs.

Eriniel asks Abylina, "So an educated child?"

Abylina says to Eriniel, "We would like the child to be educated, yes, but it's not necessary. We can teach him or her what is needed."

Naute smiles at Abylina.

(Abylina looks hopeful, suppressing the frown she wants to give this woman and the slap she wants to place across her face. This woman's attitude is wearing Abylina's patience thin. )

Eriniel ponders.

Eriniel scowls.

Eriniel hesitantly says to Abylina, "Two or three come to mind.... There is a young Elven boy..."

Eriniel scowls.

Eriniel says to Abylina, "Minds his manners.... He knows his numbers and reads.... You might have to teach him to write, though..."

Abylina hopefully asks Eriniel, "Can we meet him?"

(Eriniel scowls at Abylina as though her request is an inconvenience, rising from her seat behind the desk. )

(Naute frowns at Eriniel, obviously the shopkeeper does not think much of this dreadful crone.)

Eriniel says, "Very well...follow me."

"The front corner of the stage goes black once again. The whole stage is dark now."

"When the lights return, only the front corner of the stage is dark, and the rest lights up as if in daylight. The three adults are standing in a play yard. The headmistress leads the two amidst the playing children to a young elven boy sitting alone."

"The headmistress looks mildly angry but stays silent behind the couple, occasionally swatting with her broomstick cane at a running child, darting scowls at them and back at the boy."

(Abylina notices Eriniel gazing about the area with a menacing look in her eyes.)

Silverdrow frowns slightly as he stands to meet the couple, not wanting another swat from the headmistress' cane.

Silverdrow stands up.

(Abylina shoots a determined look at the headmistress and moves to stand near Silverdrow. )

Abylina leans forward.

Abylina asks Silverdrow, "Hello, child. The headmistress here tells us you are a very smart boy. You can read and write a little and work numbers?"

Abylina smiles at Silverdrow with admiration in her eyes.

Abylina says to Silverdrow, "Where did you learn to do these things? It must have been hard to learn them."

(Abylina waits for a reply, but does not get one. Silverdrow simply stares at her with unreadable eyes. )

Silverdrow stares meekly at the ground in a moment of embarrassment.

Silverdrow glances at Naute.

Silverdrow gazes at Abylina.

(Silverdrow fidgets, wishing he were somewhere else. He does not like being prodded, examined and criticized by these adults who talk over him as if he is invisible.)

Silverdrow smiles at the couple, something about Abylina seems different from the others.

Silverdrow observes Abylina with fascination.

Abylina glances at Naute.

(Abylina steps back to have a conversation with the headmistress, who contniues to scowl. )

(Naute stands in the background, watching the boy and glancing at the other children as they play. There is a hint of a smile on his weary face. )

Naute stands near Silverdrow.

Naute kneels down before Silverdrow.

Naute smiles and pulls a dragon toy out of his jacket, offering it to Silverdrow.

Naute offers Silverdrow a lavender felt dragon toy with midnight-blue gossamer wings.

Naute kindly says to Silverdrow, "I hope you like this. I brought it from my shop, just for you."

Silverdrow accepts Naute's dragon toy.

Silverdrow gives his toy a little prod with the tip of his finger.

Silverdrow observes Naute with fascination.

Naute says to Silverdrow, "It's for you."

Naute smiles warmly at Silverdrow.

Naute cheerfully says to Silverdrow, "For you to keep and play with whenever you like."

Naute winks at Silverdrow.

Naute says to Silverdrow, "My name is Naute. I own a store where I have lots of things like that."

(Naute pauses, not sure what to say next. )

(Naute notices the bruises on the boy's arms and the distrust in his eyes. )

Naute frowns sadly.

Naute asks Silverdrow, "Would you like to learn about business and running a shop?"

(Naute gazes at the boy thoughtfully.)

Naute stands up.

Naute says to Silverdrow, "I heard you already know how to do the things a shopkeeper does, like figuring with numbers and reading. I'd like to teach you some other things, if you will let me."

(Silverdrow stares at Naute, remaining silent. )

Abylina smiles at Silverdrow.

(Abylina touches Naute on the arm, getting his attention, and the three adults move off the stage in deep conversation. )

"Dere will be a brief intermission as we fix some technical issues."

Wordsmith Kasto came through a curtain.
Kasto says, "Sorry about that everyone."
Kasto says, "Anyways, should be good now."
Kasto says, "Thanks for your patience."
Kasto raises his hand in a quick salute.
Wordsmith Kasto went through a curtain.

"The boy watches as the three move off. He knows they won't want him--no one has. You can tell in his face that he is planning something as a look of determination fills his expression."

"Curtains close across the stage floor, swaying as they come to a stop. You hear something being dragged and a couple of grunts from behind the curtain."

"Soon it slowly opens again. Only one side of the stage is lit."

"The boy stands alone, looking up with amazment at the twinkling canopy of stars. In the distance, a Ranger creeps through the brush. Unseen by the boy, he carefully watches the curious child from his hiding spot."

(Caraamon walks towards Silverdrow, moving through the tall grasses in long strides. )

Caraamon loudly exclaims to Silverdrow, "Ya crazy or somethin'? Not too bright fer standin 'round starin at stars!"

(Caraamon looks at the boy, a glimmer of respect in his eyes. )

Caraamon loudly says to Silverdrow, "...but least yer no coward."

Caraamon mutters something into the air about stupid lil elves 'at aint got da sense.

Caraamon glances at Silverdrow.

(Caraamon notices the toy in Silverdrow's hand and growls. )

Caraamon darkly asks Silverdrow, "Hey, watcha got dere?"

Caraamon angrily asks Silverdrow, "Yu a tief, boy!?"

(Silverdrow is startled and tries to speak, but is cut short. )

Caraamon loudly exclaims to Silverdrow, "I knows where dat come from. An' ya gonna give it back! I dont abide tiefs!"

Caraamon angrily asks Silverdrow, "Didnt nobody tell ya dat's jus wrong!?"

Silverdrow glances at a lavender felt dragon toy with midnight-blue gossamer wings.

Silverdrow emphatically exclaims to Caraamon, "Someone gave me this toy!"

(Silverdrow vainly pushes caraamon, but the Ranger shrugs off the pathetic attempt. )

(Silverdrow takes a step to run away from the Ranger but gets grabbed by the collar. )

Caraamon matter-of-factly exclaims to Silverdrow, "Well, yer gonna give it back, whether ya likes it er not. C'mon!"

(Caraamon pushes Silverdrow, knocking him over. )

Silverdrow falls over.

(Caraamon grabs Silverdrow by his ankle. )

Silverdrow angrily exclaims, ""Hey, let me go! Let me go, you big burly back! I didn't steal it!!"

Silverdrow thrashes around on the ground.

(Silverdrow struggles to free himself from the ranger's painful grip. )

Caraamon just tried to yank Silverdrow towards him!

Caraamon loudly exclaims to Silverdrow, "Yeah, sure, no lil elflin' ever stole anythin'. Well I Say yer gonna give it back. Ya struggle, I smack ya!"

Caraamon frowns at Silverdrow.

Caraamon loudly exclaims, "Now, let's get movin!"

(Caraamon drags Silverdrow off the stage. )

"The one side of the stage dims to black while the other side brightens. You see Naute% sitting at a table working on his ledgers and Abylina% puttering around the hearth and cupbaords. The shop's front door slams open."

(Caraamon pushes Silverdrow into the center of the room.)

Silverdrow twitches slightly.

Silverdrow thrashes around on the ground.

Caraamon loudly exclaims, "Dis kid stole somethin o' yers. I brings him 'ere to set things right!"

Caraamon coldly says to Silverdrow, "Give it back er I'll thwap ya."

(Caraamon raises his hand as if to hit Silverdrow. )

Abylina firmly exclaims to Caraamon, "Stop that! Stop this nonsense at once!"

(Abylina rushes over to stand next to Silverdrow. )

Abylina glares at Caraamon.

Abylina sternly exclaims to Caraamon, "Now there no need to treat him that way!"

Abylina points at Caraamon.

Naute moves over to guard Silverdrow.

Abylina exclaims, "If you are speaking of the toy, we gave it to him! He did NOT steal it!"

Naute whispers something to Silverdrow.

Silverdrow rubs his right foot.

Silverdrow stands up.

Silverdrow nods at Abylina, obviously agreeing with her views.

Silverdrow glares at Caraamon.

Caraamon growls at Abylina.

Naute glances at Caraamon.

Naute whispers something to Silverdrow.

(Caraamon turns to face Silverdrow. )

Caraamon snarls at Silverdrow.

Silverdrow whispers something to Naute.

Caraamon points at Silverdrow.

Caraamon firmly exclaims, "Stay outta gobs, or ya'll end up dead. An I ain't gonna bury ya!"

Silverdrow nods to Naute.

(Caraamon turns back to Abylina. )

Caraamon loudly exclaims to Abylina, "Fine, keep 'em! 'E's not my problem then!"

(Caraamon stomps out the shop door, slamming it shut as he passes. )

Abylina rests her hand on Silverdrow's arm with a soft smile.

Abylina smiles gently at Silverdrow.

Abylina softly exclaims to Silverdrow, "Are you all right, child? What a beast!"

Abylina frowns at the door where Caraamon just exited.

Silverdrow says to Abylina, "Yes, ma'am."

Silverdrow gazes down at the floor.

Silverdrow weakly says, "He wouldn't listen to me. I am sorry that big toggler drug me here. I'll just leave."

Abylina tenderly asks Silverdrow, "Don't be silly, child. It is not your fault. Sit down. You need something to eat, don't you?"

Abylina smiles reassuringly at Silverdrow, then hurries over to the cabinets to make something for him to eat.

Silverdrow frowns as he faces Naute, looking at him with pleading eyes.

Silverdrow helplessly exclaims to Naute, "I can't go back to the orphanage, sir!"

(Silverdrow looks pleadingly at Naute. )

Silverdrow sadly says to Naute, "The headmistress will find me if I stay here."

Silverdrow quietly says, "I just can't go back there."

Naute smiles at Silverdrow.

Naute says to Silverdrow, "I think you should stay with us. We certainly have lots of room for someone your size, and we even have a second story room you can have all to yourself...with a big window."

Silverdrow nervously asks Naute, "Won't they put you in jail or something?"

Silverdrow says, "That lady is real mean."

Naute says to Silverdrow, "Let them come and try to take you."

Silverdrow softly says, "She likes to hurt people."

Naute grins at Silverdrow.

Naute gets a bastard sword from inside his leather backpack.

(Silverdrow looks worried. )

Naute strikes a heroic pose.

(Silverdrow giggles at Naute and looks relieved. )

Naute confidently exclaims to Silverdrow, "I will protect you, lad!"

Abylina frowns as she pauses in her cooking to add to the conversation.

Naute smiles at Silverdrow.

Abylina says, "I'm going to take care of that wicked lady once and for all, bet on that."

Naute puts his sword in his leather backpack.

Naute grins at Abylina.

Naute winks at Silverdrow.

Naute cheerfully exclaims to Silverdrow, "Well, there you go then! She will certainly be more afraid of my wife than she ever would be of me! Just you wait and see!"

Naute chuckles.

Silverdrow grins at Naute.

Silverdrow sighs.

Silverdrow says, "I don't want to bother anyone."

Naute rests his hand on Silverdrow's arm with a soft smile.

Naute stops guarding Silverdrow.

Naute says to Silverdrow, "Lad, we will take you in. And I will teach you something about business, just like I said before."

Abylina smiles softly at Silverdrow as she places a full plate of food in front of him.

Abylina happily says to Silverdrow, "You are not a bother to us."

Silverdrow asks, "All I ever want to do is watch the stars. My Da and I used to watch them every night. Do you know the stars?"

(Silverdrow gazes hopefully at Naute. )

Naute ponders.

Naute says to Silverdrow, "No, but will you teach me? I have just the thing."

(Naute rummages around on some shelves and pulls out some rolled up starcharts. )

Naute taps a simple vellum starchart with utilitarian diagrams that he is holding.

Naute says to Silverdrow, "I'd like to learn. We can stargaze together."

Naute says to Silverdrow, "There is a wonderful spot out on the roof."

Naute smiles encouragingly at Silverdrow.

Silverdrow fidgets nervously.

(Silverdrow looks like he wants to say something, but is unsure. )

Silverdrow glances at Naute.

Silverdrow hesitantly says to Naute, "You know, I had a dream once, but I think I was awake...."

Silverdrow acts puzzled.

Silverdrow slowly says, "... I saw the sickness coming. People were getting sick. That's how my Mum and Da died. They got real sick."

(Silverdrow looks up at Naute, still nervous. )

(Silverdrow glances at Naute and then at Abylina unsure what their reaction will be. Usually, adults just told him that was just stupid or he had a good imagination. )

Naute looks thoughtfully at Silverdrow.

Naute says to Silverdrow, "Well, that settles it then. I'll teach you about business, and you teach me about these talking stars."

Naute smiles as he pats Silverdrow on the back.

Abylina glances at Naute.

Abylina sternly says to Naute, "However..."

(Abylina turns to face Silverdrow. )

Abylina painfully says to Silverdrow, "...We are going to have to take you back to the orphanage."

Silverdrow frowns.

Abylina rests her hand on Silverdrow's arm with a soft smile.

Abylina says to Silverdrow, "We have to do this the right way. Please understand."

Abylina smiles softly at Silverdrow.

Abylina tenderly says to Silverdrow, "When we met you, we told the headmistress we wanted to adopt you. And, I give you my promise I will take care of the headmistress. You will never have to worry about her again."

Silverdrow shudders.

Silverdrow meekly asks, "Do I really have to go back?"

(Silverdrow clutches his left arm in reflex. )

Silverdrow hopelessly says, "She'll lock me up again."

Silverdrow quietly says, "She hits us."

Silverdrow shivers.

Silverdrow tiredly says, "And screams at us to hurry, and to be quiet."

Abylina gasps!

Abylina frowns.

Abylina angrily exclaims to Naute, "I told you she was no good!"

Naute nods to Abylina.

(Abylina looks sadly at Silverdrow )

Abylina kneels down.

Abylina says, "I promise you, you will not be there for long at all. We will come and get you and take you away from that place."

Abylina emphatically exclaims to Silverdrow, "I promise you! Cross my heart!"

Abylina uses her index finger to trace an X across her chest.

Abylina hugs Silverdrow, who wraps his arms around Abylina with a warm smile.

(Abylina stares frankly at Naute. )

Naute nods at Abylina, obviously agreeing with her views.

Silverdrow sniffles.

(Silverdrow looks worried. )

(Silverdrow glances at Naute who shrugs minutely and nods sadly. )

Silverdrow sadly says to Abylina, "Okay."

(Silverdrow reluctantly nods at Abylina )

Abylina stands up.

"The shopkeeper and his wife take the boy through the house, showing him all the things there and then upstairs to the loft where the boy will stay. Opening the window there, the shopkeeper steps out onto the roof and turns to help the boy come through the window. The shopkeeper's wife stands at the window, smiling, watching the boy becoming more and more relaxed and her husband looking happier than he has been in a very long time. She nods to herself, knowingly."

"The curtain closes silently on the scene."

"When the curtains re-open, Naute%, Abylina% and Silverdrow% are standing in the play yard. The headmistress' voice drones in the background."

Eriniel yells, "Hey! Stop that!"

Eriniel yells, "You there, wait until I get my hands on you!"

Eriniel shakes her gnarled cane!

Silverdrow shudders.

Abylina glances at Eriniel.

Abylina smiles reassuringly at Silverdrow.

Abylina sadly says to Silverdrow, "I am so sorry we have to bring you back to this place."

Kasto exclaims, "And there we have it folks!"

Kasto exclaims, "What a cliffhanger!"

Kasto smiles at the audience as he steps forward to the front of the stage.

Kasto loudly exclaims, "And so ends our first episode of 'The Boy with His Eyes on the Stars.' I hope you found it as captivating as I did!"

Kasto exclaims, "Please join us next week--same time, same place-- for the exciting conclusion to this tale!"

(Kasto looks at the audience hopefully. )

The Shard Sentinel nods to Alexii and says, "Yes, you may pass."
Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Performance Log: "The Boy With His Eyes On The Stars" Part 2 08/26/2012 08:20 AM CDT
So here is the conclusion to our play. We had some of our actors drop out so there was a shuffle in roles. Kasto had to replace Naute as the Shopkeeper, and Allye came to play with us and replace Eriniel as the Headmistress. Another huge thanks to Sortny for logging all of this for us again. And our warmest thank-you to Allye for being a Troupe-er for a night. :)

>>"The Boy With His Eyes On The Stars" Part 2
>>Announcer / Narrator - Arcticdark, Orphan Boy - Silverdrow, Headmistress - Allye, Judge - Mino, Shopkeeper - Kasto, Shopkeeper's Wife - Abylina.

Arcticdark clears his throat.

Arcticdark says, "Welcome to you all! The newly re-opened Tavern Troupe Performing Order is presenting the second half of its debut production to you, which began during last week's Adoption Day event! Tonight, we are bringing to you Part 2 of a presentation from the Troupe's own book of stories and fables, "The Boy with His Eyes on the Stars."

Arcticdark says, "Thank you for joining us for this heartrending, heartstopping, and dramatic story about a young boy forced into an orphanage following the death of his parents during the plague. You may already have guessed who this incredibly talented and well-remembered figure is from our own rich history, but his name WILL be revealed at the conclusion of our exciting tale."

Arcticdark smiles.

Arcticdark says, "And, I hope you've done your research to discover our young hero's identity! We are offering a prize to the first person to guess correctly who he is, but PLEASE WHISPER those guesses to __ when they are out there with you, while our actors perform. The winner will be announced shortly after the curtain closes so make sure to stick around."

"Someone has already won the prize. Sorry folks!"

Arcticdark grins.

Arcticdark says, "When we left our tale, the evil headmistress had just noticed our runaway orphan being brought back by the noble shopkeeper and his wife. As you may remember, our headmistress is a shrewd woman who finds joy in tormenting the children under her "care." Our young boy, having had a wild ride since escaping (being drug around by a Ranger and thrown into a shop in the middle of the night is pretty wild to me!) is understandably reluctant to return to this dreadful place."

Arcticdark exclaims, "How will this end? Will our hero be beaten severly by the wretched woman? Lets find out!"

Arcticdark exclaims, "And now... to the conclusion of our story!"

Arcticdark applauds.

(Arcticdark takes a step back and turns towards the curtain.)

"The scene opens in the orphanage courtyard. Broken toys and decrepit swings litter the small area. The shopkeeper and his wife have returned the runaway hero of this tale to the orphanage and are facing an extremely irrate headmistress, who clearly does not like children and this young boy in particular."

Abylina stands near Allye.

Abylina points at Allye.

Abylina angrily exclaims, "You should be ashamed of yourself, treating children this way!. They're just children!"

Abylina flails her arms about.

Abylina loudly asks, "How can they defend themselves from the likes of you!?"

Abylina snorts at Allye.

Abylina emphatically exclaims, "Maybe... the Zoluren Council will hear of this, and then we'll see how long you're mistress here!"

Allye glares at Silverdrow.

Allye taps her foot impatiently.

Allye darkly asks, "You know that boy's a fugitive, don't you?"

(Kasto stands straighter, emphasizing his height and looking down at the angry headmistress.)

Allye glances at Kasto.

Allye glares at Abylina.

Kasto says to Allye, "Yes, we know he's a runaway. Yes, we know he's a fugitive. And, we've brought him back."

Kasto frowns at Allye.

Kasto says, "But we are still going to adopt him, and we will be back with all the appropriate paperwork to do so."

Allye glowers darkly at Silverdrow.

Allye points at Silverdrow.

Allye rancidly exclaims, "You will answer for this headache you've caused, boy!"

Kasto glances at Abylina.

Kasto frowns at Allye.

Kasto moves over to guard Silverdrow.

Silverdrow shivers.

Kasto pats Silverdrow on the back.

Kasto glances at Abylina, nervously sizing her up.

(Silverdrow buries his face into the back of Kasto's leg, shivering in fear at these warring women.)

(Allye splutters, completely taken aback by this small woman's onslaught.)
Allye glares at Abylina.

Allye exclaims, "What business is it of yours? You don't have the responsibility of taking care of these brats!"

Allye scoffs at Abylina.

Allye asks, "And besides, I was appointed to this post! Who do you think you are to do anything about it!?"

Abylina glowers darkly at Allye.

Allye sneers at Abylina.

(Abylina folds her arms across her chest.)

Abylina points at Allye.

Abylina confidently exclaims, "You! Your day is coming, you misbegotten spawn of a ogre! If one hair on this boy's head has been touched by you while we are gone, you will regret ever having met me!"

Abylina glares at Allye.

Abylina looks over Allye very closely.

(Abylina turns to Silverdrow)

Abylina slowly empties her lungs.

Abylina kneels down.

Abylina tenderly says to Silverdrow, "You, child, will be in our home before the sun sinks tomorrow. Hang onto that because it is the most sincere promise I have ever made."

(Abylina looks deeply into his eyes.)

Abylina calmly asks, "Do you understand me?"

(Silverdrow looks worried.)

Silverdrow nods to Abylina.

Abylina looks over Silverdrow very closely.

Abylina emphatically exclaims, "She will not ever hurt you again. Ever! Or she will be sorry!"

Abylina glares at Allye.

Abylina hugs Silverdrow, who wraps his arms around Abylina with a warm smile.

Abylina stands up.

Abylina mutters something into the air about trolls running amuck in human form.

(Abylina stomps away angrily, dragging her husband with her.)

Allye glowers darkly at Silverdrow.

Allye darkly exclaims, "You are nothing but trouble, boy!"

Silverdrow winces.

Silverdrow stares meekly at the ground in a moment of embarrassment.

Silverdrow meekly says, "Yes, ma'am."

Silverdrow twitches.

Allye smugly exclaims, "You're going to the Quiet Room until I decide what I'm going to do with you!"

Allye smiles grimly as she drags Silverdrow off by the ear.

Silverdrow flinches.

Silverdrow helplessly exclaims, "Don't hurt me!"

(Silverdrow nearly trips over his own feet as he tries to scamper away.)

"The curtain closes on an empty stage. Mutters and thumps are heard coming from behind it."

"When it reopens again, you see the shop interior brightly lit with lamps and candles. It is evening. The shopkeeper and his wife are looking over some legal documents laying on the table."

Kasto stops guarding.

Kasto says, "This looks more difficult than I first thought, Abylina."

Kasto frets.

Kasto sighs.

Kasto says, "We'll need to find a more experienced Trader than I am to get us through all this paperwork. And, it says here the boy has to be present as well for the final adoption. That's not likely after you spoke to the headmistress the way you did."

Abylina flails her arms about.

Abylina frowns.

Kasto gazes at Abylina.

Abylina angrily says, "I know, I know. Blast my mouth! She made me mad, and I couldn't help it."

Abylina blames herself for all her problems.

Kasto sighs.

Abylina sternly asks, "What an awful creature she is! How did she ever get appointed as the head of that place?"

Abylina stares blankly into the distance.

(Abylina frowns deeply at the whole situation.)

Abylina exclaims, "Those poor children!"

Kasto nods.

Abylina emphatically asks, "Kasto, we have to do something! Could we go before the magistrate and explain things?"

(Abylina looks hopefully at Kasto.)

Abylina hopefully exclaims, "Maybe he would give us temporary custody until the adoption is final? The boy has to come out of there as soon as possible!"

Kasto ponders.

(Abylina pleads to Kasto with her tear-filled eyes.)

Abylina painfully exclaims, "I promised him!"

Kasto hugs Abylina, who wraps her arms around Kasto with a warm smile.

Kasto tiredly says, "We'll go to the magistrate in the morning, wife. We'll get the answers we need, but we both need sleep now."

(Kasto looks worried, rubbing his forehead, and walks wearily into the back of the shop towards the bedroom area and wearily crawls into bed.)

(Abylina, very slowly and mechanically and obviously deep in thought, snuffs all but one of the candles and lamps, carrying the last with her to the bedroom to join her husband.)

Kasto lies down.

Abylina lies down.

"The stage darkens to black. When a wall sconce comes to life on one side of the stage, it illuminates a simple bed with the sleeping forms of Kasto and Abylina."

Kasto comes out of hiding.

Kasto snores.

Abylina comes out of hiding.

Abylina sits up.

Abylina gasps!

Abylina excitedly exclaims, "That's it!"

Abylina beams!

Abylina exclaims, "Kasto, wake up!"

Abylina grabs Kasto by the shoulders and shakes him!

Kasto grumbles.

Abylina happily exclaims, "I know what we can do!"

Kasto sits up.

Abylina is hugging herself.

Kasto rubs his right eye.

Abylina beams!

Kasto grumpily asks, "Huh? What? What're you yelling about, woman!?"

Kasto mutters something into the air about waking a man when he's sound asleep.

Abylina excitedly exclaims, "The boy! I know how we can get the boy! And the rest of the children too!"

Abylina beams at Kasto!

Abylina emphatically exclaims, "If we can't get just the boy out of that horrid place, then we'll take them all!"

(Kasto stares dazedly at Abylina.)

Kasto cautiously asks, "We don't have room for ALL those children! What has gotten into you?"

Kasto groans.

(Abylina bounces happily on the bed.)

(Kasto looks puzzled.)

Abylina happily exclaims, "No, no! Not here! We can get the whole orphanage full of children and take care of them all!"

Abylina beams at Kasto!

Abylina emphatically exclaims, "There! At the orphanage!"

(Kasto listens carefuly in his groggy state as the wife describes to him her brilliant idea, her arms and hands gesticulating in her excitement, the plan coalesces into a possible dream-come-true for the both of them.)

"The single burning sconce slowly dims and goes out, and the curtain slides to a swaying close."

"The curtain reopens on a courtroom setting. Present are the shopkeeper and his wife at one table and a frowning headmistress at another. Standing, they are waiting for the judge to enter. At the back of the courtroom, three children, the boy amongst them, and a nervous young woman, presumably in care of the children, stands with a court clerk. The clerk leans over to whisper something humourous to the children, and the boy visibly relaxes with a nod and a half-smile. The judge enters and sits on his bench."

"You hear a voice from the shadows. An unnoticed clerk must be nearby:"

"Presiding is Judge Mino, House Sorvendig, of the Zoluren Province. Please take your seats."

"All but Abylina, Kasto, and Allyesit down."

Mino comes out of hiding.

Mino takes a seat.

(Mino hammers the table with a silver gavel.)

Mino says, "This court will come to order."

Mino taps a silver gavel that he is holding.

(Mino glances Abylina as he sifts through some documents he has brought with him.)

Kasto dusts himself off.

Mino says, "In response to the petition to have the headmistress of Zoluren Orphanage removed from her post, I will hear the petitioner speak first followed by the defendant. You may begin, madam."

Abylina nods to Mino.

Abylina clears her throat.

Mino nods to Abylina.

Abylina says, "My husband and I first came to the orphanage, Your Honor, to adopt a child. We have no children, no child to leave our family legacy, a small store and trading station on the west side of town."

Abylina fixes Mino with a frank, even stare.

Abylina says, "What we saw at the orphanage was appalling. The conditions those poor children live under are abysmal."

Abylina nods to Mino.

Abylina says, "The floors were covered with dirt. They looked like they had never been clean, and the children... the poor children."

Kasto frowns.

(Abylina glances at Kasto, who nods to her reassuringly.)

Abylina coldly exclaims, "All the children had marks on them -- bruises, Your Honor! We couldn't touch them without seeing them flinch. That 'cane', that broken broomstick, she carries is a tool for torture!"

Abylina frowns at Allye.

Abylina says, "My husband and I want very much to adopt this wonderful boy, Your Honor, and he has told us about the abuse he and the other children endure, and the proof is evident."

Abylina exclaims, "The children were horribly dirty. Some looked like they hadn't had a bath in weeks, scratching their heads as if they had lice!"
Kasto nods in agreement.

Abylina glances at Mino.

Abylina asks, "Their clothing, Your Honor, was torn, worn, ill-fitting the bodies wearing them, and dirty! Are there no caretakers, a laundress or seamtress in that place to take care of these basic needs?"

Abylina glares.

Abylina emphatically exclaims, "And, you will see how thin they are, Your Honor. When was the last decent meal they had for their poor stomachs? These poor children!"

(Abylina frowns in exasperation.)

Abylina confidently exclaims, "I do not feel that this headmistress is fit to run an orphanage or to care for any child!"

Allye splutters.

Abylina glares at Allye.

Allye exclaims, "Your Honor, really!"

Mino exclaims, "Headmistress, you will wait your turn to respond!"

Allye glowers darkly at Abylina.

Mino glares at Allye.

Mino coldly asks, "You will hold your tongue or find yourself thrown out of this court. Do I make myself clear?"

Allye glowers.

Mino frowns at Allye.

(Allye nods angrily at Mino.)

Abylina painfully asks, "I can't stand to think of those children in those conditions, Your Honor. Is there nothing that can be done to help them?"

Allye snorts at Abylina.

Allye frowns at Abylina.

Allye mutters something into the air about believing sniveling troublesome Elflings.

Mino frowns at Allye.

Mino coldly says to Allye, "Madam, this is your second warning."

(Mino frowns again before catching the clerk's attention at the back of the courtroom.)

Mino loudly says, "Send the children here so I may speak with them."

Silverdrow comes out of hiding.

(Silverdrow grasps the hands of the two other children and leads them up to the judge's bench.)

(Silverdrow looks nervous.)

Mino smiles at Silverdrow reassuringly.

Mino asks, "Hello there, boy. Are you scared?"

Kasto smiles at Silverdrow.

(Silverdrow stares with frightened eyes at Mino.)

Mino kindly asks, "Do not worry about me, I'm just a big stuffy man in a wig. Can I ask you some questions?"

Silverdrow nods to Mino.

Silverdrow fidgets nervously.

Silverdrow nibbles his lip thoughtfully.

Mino peers quizzically at Silverdrow.

(Mino has a quiet, but lengthy conversation with each of the children in turn, asking questions, examining their arms and bodies, and smiling to reassure them.)

(Mino nods at their inquiries and smiles, putting them all at ease. When he is finished, they are all smiling and race back up the aisle to the young woman in the back.)

Mino clears his throat.

Allye glances at Mino.

Mino glares at Allye.

(Allye stands a bit straighter.)

Allye glares at Abylina.

Mino says to Allye, "Having seen the evidence, I will allow you, madam, to attempt some sort of explanation for this."

Allye snorts at Abylina.

Mino glowers darkly at Allye.

Allye confidently asks, "Does this woman think running an orphanage is easy, Your Honor?"

Kasto chortles softly at some secret joke.

Allye glances at Abylina.

Allye says, "She has no idea the endless work, the struggle, the costs for their care."

Allye nods.

Allye curtly says, "She came to me, first of all, to adopt a child and had no idea what or who she was looking for."

Allye smirks at Abylina.

Allye mockingly asks, "That is not well thought out, and she thinks she can run an orphanage!?"

Allye asks, "Then, when the boy runs away... where does he go??"

Allye glares at Abylina.

Allye loudly says, "Ask this woman, Your Honor. She and her husband hide him..."

Allye scoffs at Abylina.

Allye firmly exclaims, "...before common sense finally tells them he belongs with me!"

Abylina confidently says, "Yes, he did wind up at our home, ..."

Abylina calmly says to Mino, "...but we explained to him that if we were to adopt him the right way, we had to bring him back. He was so scared by HER abuse,..."

Allye snorts at Abylina.

Kasto nods at Abylina, obviously agreeing with her views.

Abylina points at Allye.

Abylina emphatically exclaims, "...he almost ran again, but my husband and I STOPPED HIM!"

Abylina frowns at Allye.

Abylina matter-of-factly says, "We brought him back to the orphanage, so we could take care of this here, in court, Your Honor,..."

Abylina confidently exclaims, "...and yes, I believe I CAN do a better job than HER!"

Allye splutters.

Abylina sneers at Allye.

Allye angrily exclaims, "Stopped him? Stopped him?? You encouraged him!"

Allye glares at Abylina.

(Allye turns to face the judge.)

Allye confidently asks, "I was appointed by the Judicial Council, Your Honor. I, and only I, have the legal rights to that boy! Who is SHE to try to change that!?"

Abylina exclaims to Mino, "I would make sure there were no marks on those children, Your Honor, that they were treated decently. They do not need to be beaten into submission! And, they and the place would be clean, spotless!"
Allye snorts, loudly.

Kasto frowns at Allye.

Abylina glowers darkly at Allye.

Abylina exclaims, "He was terrified, Your Honor, shaking and crying. And, you saw the fear in his eyes not a moment before, I dare say. No child should be put through that!"

Abylina points at Allye.

Kasto nods.

Abylina angrily exclaims, "You are a mean and horrible woman!"

Abylina glares at Allye.

Abylina coldly exclaims, "This woman should never be around children again!"

Allye scoffs at Abylina.

Kasto says, "Ever."

Allye smugly exclaims, "I have more than one child to care for. You think I should care for one more than another? Ha!"

Mino says to Abylina, "That may be true, my dear, but your opinions of this woman hold no bearing in this court."

Allye exclaims to Abylina, "It is a hard, dirty and thankless job, good woman!"

Mino nods to Abylina.

Mino frowns at Allye.

Abylina pointedly ignores Allye.

Allye glares at Abylina.

Abylina confidently exclaims to Mino, "I could take over the orphanage and do a much better than this woman, Your Honor, and I want to help those children, not hurt them!"

Allye smugly says to Abylina, "Well, I hope you have the money! If the orphanage had more money, the conditions would be much better."

Allye glowers darkly at Abylina.

Abylina matter-of-factly exclaims, "The conditions and the abuse are the facts, and that should be enough for something to be done for these children, Your Honor!"

Allye rolls her eyes.

Abylina glares at Allye.

Allye smirks at Abylina.

Allye exclaims to Mino, "She has no idea, Your Honor! No idea at all!"

Allye says to Abylina, "Do I carry a stick? Yes! To keep them all in line."

Allye frowns.

Allye emphatically exclaims, "Do I use the stick? Only in extreme circumstances!

Mino frowns at Allye.

Allye glares at Abylina.

Mino dryly says, "Well, perhaps I have an solution to this whole ordeal..."

Allye slowly empties her lungs.

Mino taps a silver gavel that he is holding.

Allye nods to Mino.

Mino loudly says to Allye, "It is the ruling of this court that you are in fact guilty of child abuse and negligence."

Allye blinks at Mino.

Allye slowly says, "But..."

Allye emphatically exclaims to Mino, "Your Honor!"

Kasto grins.

Allye acts puzzled.

Abylina grins.

Abylina lets out a deep sigh of contentment.

Mino says to Allye, "It is this court's opinion that you are everything this good woman has said about you."

Mino frowns at Allye.

Mino exclaims, "You have repeatedly interrupted her, sneered at her, and acted imperially towards her and towards this court!"

Mino emphatically exclaims to Allye, "And, you seem to be unwilling to acknowledge the damage, both mentally and physically, that you are causing these children!"

Kasto nods in agreement.

Mino coldly says to Allye, "Your buisness, granted to you by this province, will be stripped from your management."

Allye screams!

Allye glares at Abylina.

Mino glares at Allye.

Allye flails her arms about.

Allye glares at Mino.

Mino yells, "That's it!"

Mino leaps to his feet!

Mino exclaims to Allye, "I've had enough out of you!"

Kasto gasps!

Mino yells, "Officers, remove this woman from my court!"

(Allye screeches as two court officers approach Allye and each take her by an arm to drag her towards the courtroom doors.)

Allye angrily exclaims to Mino, "You can't do this!!"

Allye yells, "I WILL CONVENE THE COUNCIL!!"

Mino exclaims to Allye, "Feel free!"

Allye glares at Mino.

Mino angrily exclaims to Allye, "My words carry much weight in this province. You will find that road a hard one!"

(Allye struggles as the officers drag her out the doors.)

Mino slowly empties his lungs.

Mino shakes his head.

Mino glances at Abylina.

Mino asks Abylina, "Now, my dear. What is it you were hoping to accomplish here today?"

Mino says, "If it is this child you were seeking, you have it. Although, now you have left all the others in a precarious position."

Abylina nods to Mino.

Mino observes Abylina with fascination.

Abylina says to Mino, "I was hoping, Your Honor, to be given permission to start running the orphanage -- both ny husband and me -- and take over its management."

Abylina smiles at Kasto.

Abylina says to Mino, "And, I'm willing to forego the adoption of the boy, so i can care for all of the children."

Kasto smiles lovingly at Abylina.

Mino says, "You understand there are some documents that must be submitted before you could be 'appointed' control over such an operation."

Mino smiles.

Abylina smiles at Mino.

Abylina confidently says to Mino, "Yes, Your Honor, I do understand that, and, yes, I know I can run the orphanage in the right way."

Mino says to Abylina, "As I said before, my words carry much weight in this province. You could very well find yourself with a chance for what you request."

Mino ponders.

Mino asks, "What are your qualifications, my dear?"

Abylina says to Mino, "First and foremost, Your Honor, I love children. I would have dozens if I could."

Kasto chuckles.

Abylina says, "Also, I have helped my husband with finances and the running of our trade shop."

Kasto nods.

Abylina confidently says, "And, before marrying, I was a teacher in our village."

Mino nods to Abylina.

Mino nods to Kasto.

Mino looks thoughtfully at Abylina.

Mino says, "Then I shall award you nothing for this case, pending your submission of the needed documents."

Mino says, "And, in the interim, the children will be placed into your care until either you gain approval by the Council or another has been appointed."
Mino smiles at Abylina.

Mino loudly exclaims, "That is the ruling of this court!"

(Mino bangs his gavel loudly on the table.)

Kasto beams!

Mino kindly says, "And, thank you, me dear, for bringing this grave situation to our attention."

Mino loudly says, "Court is hereby adjourned."

(Silverdrow runs up to Kasto, smiling brightly.)

Silverdrow excitedly asks, "We did it?? Are you going to take care of us now?"

(Silverdrow gazes hopefully at Kasto.)

Kasto grins at Silverdrow.

Kasto happily exclaims to Silverdrow, "We did it! I told you nothing would stop her!"

Kasto points at Abylina.

Kasto chuckles at Silverdrow.

Abylina beams at Kasto!

Abylina just hugged Kasto.

Silverdrow beams at Abylina!

Abylina smiles at Silverdrow happily.

Kasto kneels before Silverdrow.

Abylina blushes a bright red color.

Kasto smiles at Silverdrow.

Kasto cheerfully exclaims to Silverdrow, "You know, you never told me your name. I can't call you Boy!"

Silverdrow squirms.

Silverdrow giggles.

Silverdrow happily exclaims, "It's Jares, sir. Jares Braun!"

Kasto just tickled Silverdrow, making him laugh.

Silverdrow beams at Kasto!

Kasto laughingly exclaims, "Well, hey Jares... no Sir from you, sir!"

Kasto pokes Silverdrow in the ribs.

Kasto grins at Silverdrow.

Kasto asks Silverdrow, "My name is Kasto, remember?"

"The curtains close slowly. Soft voices are heard coming from behind them as well as the sound of something being dragged."

"When silence prevails, the curtains open again onto the orphanage play yard. There are no broken toys laying about and the swings seem to be in pristine condition. Children are playing and running around the play yard, laughing happily."

"Kasto is off to one side with Jares looking at starcharts and occasionally pointing up to the sun filled sky. A small group of children, sit around Abylina in a circle as she reads them a story."

Abylina recites:

"...And with the wicked witch gone from the land, the people lived happily ever after. The End."

(Abylina closes her book.)

(Abylina giggles as the children all leap to their feet, rushing to fall into her arms to be hugged warmly by her.)

Abylina smiles lovingly at all the children.

(Abylina cries softly in pure joy.)

"The curtain closes for the final time on a happy scene with happy children, running and playing and smiling brightly."

Arcticdark beams!

Arcticdark exclaims, "Wow!"

Arcticdark slowly empties his lungs.

Arcticdark smiles at the audience as he steps forward to the front of the stage.

Arcticdark loudly exclaims, "I hope you are as thrilled as I am at how our wonderful tale turned out!"

Arcticdark grins.

Arcticdark exclaims, "Oh, and for those of you who submitted a guess to the boy's identity, stick around after these next introductions. The award winner will be named!"

"Once again Sorry the name was guesed."

Arcticdark exclaims, "Be well and safe, friends, and thank you very much for joining us for our debut performances!"

Arcticdark exclaims, "The Tavern Troupe Performing Order has returned to entertain you once again! Watch for our announcements coming your way in the very near future!"

Arcticdark exclaims, "Good Night!!"

The Shard Sentinel nods to Alexii and says, "Yes, you may pass."
Alexii says, "Sucker!"