Order of the White Rose 01/08/2005 11:43 AM CST
I would like to propose a meeting of all members of our Order who can still be contacted or who still read this message board. We can not allow our order to die as it is one of the oldest and most prestigious in the realms. I would propose that this meeting be held within the week and in the crossing.

If you are a member of the Rose and are interested in keeping it alive please contact me as soon as possible.

Promithius Nido

AIM CRD HAZMAT
Re: Order of the White Rose 01/18/2005 10:30 PM CST
So how'd the meeting go?

-Curious long past member.
Matrina
Re: Order of the White Rose 01/21/2005 07:01 AM CST
Yes, how did the meeting go?

Jater Merkail - Also a long past member.
Order of the White Rose Rescue Mission 01/21/2005 08:30 AM CST
All current and past members of the White Rose! As I am sure you are aware the future of the Rose is at risk. Rescue plans are being formulated, however we need your help. If you are currently a member of the order, or are a past member and wish to help bring the Rose back to it's once past glory please contact myself or Speaker Brikarm.

You start to assist by also spreading the word through out the land to track down other past and current members and having them post to our board and contact Brikmar or myself.

Thank you for you assistance and Long Live the Rose!!!

Promithius Nido
AIM - CRD HAZMAT

Speaker Brikmar
BrikmarOWR
The "New" Order of the White Rose 03/29/2009 07:15 AM CDT
Yes, I know the new is in quotes, because it's not truly new, although much has changed during my term as Speaker. At first I tried to work within the system handed down to me by others from the past, aiming to modernize the phrasing of documents and get the Council system up and running, and getting the membership numbers up to sanctioning requirements. This involves a great deal of work by numerous good people, many of whom I thank profusely.

But after much experience "in the system," seeing what works and what largely doesn't work, talking to a great many members, recruits, and non-members alike, stumbling and bumbling my way through this past year or so, I've come to see that as an Order, the White Rose is operating under a fatal dichotomy. There is the Council system, with all it's all-encompassing power collected in the hands of a few, and then there is the belief system centered on the Charter, espousing equanimity and the equality of all. One or the other must change, as Abraham Lincoln once stated, "...a house divided against itself cannot stand."

This has troubled me a great deal, as I've always considered my Speakership to be responsible to the member-body, not just the Council, and regardless about what some claim, I have always called for that body to offer their opinions and suggestions about the Order in general. They can deny that claim, but the fact is in print on the Order's forum. The only thing I have ever asked is that some air of civility and logic is presented in their arguments, and that outright personal attacks are not allowed. So while this has been the standard operating procedure, this is not what is in print. And what is in print is largely what others will see and believe, more than spoken words. People read the Charter and/or hear about the Order, and say, "I could get behind this," then they read the Bylaws and sigh and say, "Well this is just more of the same.. Nevermind.."

This brings me to the point of this post.

After much input and work by various people, the Charter is basically done, barring editorial changes (read language and gramatical errors), the document is finish content-wise and is now turned over to the Order's editor-in-chief (read OCD person with a law degree, with lots of free time on her hands). It is a major change from the previous document.

The Bylaws are currently being worked on, with 50% of the content done and headed for the same editor. Again it will be a major change from the previous one. And will encode into itself the operating proceedings of the Order. Namely, that the method of changing official Order documents, and method of choosing the Council itself will change. We are preaching equality but are practicing elitism, with the Council set above the member-body, answering only to itself, being able to choose its own replacements, and by and large being insulated from the members themselves. While some Councilors are not like this, the system in place ensures that such can happen. We preach equality, we practice elitism, something must change, and I firmly believe in equality. Therefore the system and practice will be changed. Now for the meat and gristle.

Proposed Bylaws:
~Include the Codes of Conduct as the definitive set of member rules.
~Remove the ability of the Council to vote in Officers and self-appoint replacements for vacated seats, whether they were vacated by promotion, resignation, or removal.
~Remove the ability of the Council to amend the Charter or Bylaws without substantial approval by the members of the Order.
~Require that all Council seats be elected by the members of the Order, and will be restricted to a set limit of term unless removed beforehand by a vote of no-confidence (6 months, 1 year, whatever is determined best). Elections will be on a rotating basis so that all seats will not be filled with fresh faces every term, but will have Councilors with previous experience. Councilors will be able to serve as many terms as they are voted in for. (So if you guys elect them every term for the next 20 years, they can sit on the Council for that long if they wish, this is to ensure that good, effective Councilors are not artificially limited to only being able to serve X number of terms).
~Require that all Officer positions be elected by the members of the Order, and will serve a life-term unless removed by a vote of no-confidence. (This is to ensure stability in the external functions of the Order, and that we don't drive the GMs nuts with changing officers every X months.. I already drive Ariawen nuts as it is, no need to add further frustration to her with having to make Officer roses every so often.. FYI: the Speaker, Vice Speaker and Treasurer roses are made by the GM, not by my scepter. so any changes here would require the Order to arrange with the Orders GM for both removal of the old rose and issuance of a new one.. Let's try to stay on their good sides by not changing them too often, unless it's needed... heh).
~Require that all no-confidence motions be made by any member, regardless of position, and be seconded by 'X' number of members before coming to vote, also no confidence votes be cast by the members of the Order subject to a quorum of 'Y' number of members with a percentage of 'Z' votes for to pass (You fill in the X,Y, Z variables, these are definately up for debate, and determining which are the best numbers for proper working of the system).
~Require that all amendments to the Bylaws and Charter, and all major legislative initiatives be motioned by any member, and be seconded by 'A' number of members before coming to vote. Votes will be cast by the members of the Order subject to a quorum of 'B' number of members with a percentage of 'C' votes to pass (See above for the variables).
~Require that all elections be run for one month's time, subject to a quorum of 'N' members with a simple majority to win the election (See above for the variable).
~All voting is by secret ballot. The Order forum easily supports this until such a time that a system is in place in game. There is a great deal flexibility in the forum polls. For those familiar with SMF, that is the forum we run, heavily modified for our needs.

There you have the outline of the changes as they deviate from the current Bylaws. Now we practice what we preach, all people are equal, with an equal voice. The Council system must remain in place due to sanctioning requirements, but now the members will choose who will lead them.

The Charter can be read at our home at http://www.whiteroseorder.org It is under the Order's full achievement of arms, scroll down and you'll see the section of official Order documents, just click on the link, I won't post it here for the sake of brevity ("Brevity!," I hear you gasp.. heheh, yes I can be wordy at times but this is needed). The Bylaws will be posted there as well when they are finished, for now there is a place holder. Please excuse the visual appearances, as I'm still coding the visual options. The content coding is basically done except a couple of mods that will take a great deal of my time to implement and therefore is being put off until last. If you feel you can be a respectful, productive member of such an organization, please register with the forums first, then fill out an application form, the link is a big "Apply" button, located directly under the Order's full achievement of arms. We have a place for everyone, be they fighters, teachers, or pacificists.
The "New" Order of the White Rose Recruitment 03/29/2009 04:05 PM CDT
On a side note.. Two points have been brought to my attention..

First, yes the White Rose is openly recruiting members again, and those who wish to join are welcome to apply at http://www.whiteroseorder.org. Please register with the forums first, then fill out an application form, the link is a big "Apply" button, located directly under the Order's full achievement of arms. We have a place for everyone, be they fighters, teachers, or pacificists.If you have any questions, you can email me, or contact me in the game, I'm not terribly hard to find. If I'm not around, Somniumvisum or Isharon can help answer any questions you have.

And two, I forgot to sign the previous post.. doh!! (Thanks for the heads up Arhia!!) What I get for writing before I get a full coffee in me these days. How do you know you are getting older, when you actually need a full half pot of coffee to even start functioning properly. So this is who is writing the previous post as well.

Yours truly,
Emerald Knight Manze Losterik, Speaker of the Order of the White Rose