Toy Show Event 12/26/15 12/27/2015 03:43 PM CST
First, I want to start by saying thanks for everyone's hard work organizing events. I really do appreciate everyone's efforts and time invested!! :)

What I wanted to address was a concern that I had regarding the Acting part of the Toy Show Event. Let me preface that I wasn't planning to participate in that part and didn't have anything officially prepared, but I just wanted to have some fun so I decided to have Fizzbitty join up as a contestant. I didn't care about winning, just wanted to have some good times with some other people in the realms. I was called on first to perform and was cut off after two lines of acting, even though I wasn't finished with my performance. I thought maybe that was the precedent being set for the event so I just rolled with it, but others were allowed to finish their longer performances. I OOC whispered a Mentor and asked about the rules again, they confirmed that it was supposed to be "about two lines". I then whispered them again, saying that I wasn't allowed to finish and they just nodded. No apology or explanation as to why I was cut off when no one else was.

I am not really one to complain about things, I'm pretty easy going and RP a character that gets picked on in game for the way she talks sometimes so I'm used to handling negativity about my RP. The short of it, I usually let things roll off my back but because this was Mentors I just wanted to say something about it. Mentors are there to help players and I felt from these actions that I was being rushed "off-stage" by the person that was supposed to be the most fair in the competition. By them not responding to my whisper I got the impression that I wasn't really wanted at the event. My understanding is that Mentors are the "face" of the realms and the way they handled it was disrespectful. Sorry if this seems petty, but I just don't want to see this happen to someone else, especially a newbie.

I went to have fun and experienced something that was the opposite for me. I felt singled-out by being the only one cut-off and am now debating my participation in future events (at least for a bit) that are not run by people that I know. I have never seen the person that I'm talking about before, so I'm not sure why they singled me out but I felt that it was a bit unprofessional.

Thank you so much for listening to my rant!

P.S. If this belongs in another folder/thread/wherever lol please feel free to move it.
Thanks again!
Re: Toy Show Event 12/26/15 12/27/2015 06:59 PM CST
Hey there Fizzy, thanks for sharing your concern. Events can be difficult things. They can look like they are running super smooth and not reflect the background work going on. In my opinion most "oops-es" that happen during events can be chalked up to the confusion that occurs naturally as opposed to anyone's overarching plot regarding specific players.

In this specific instance I believe I was thrown off by the pace of the act. Pacing tends to be a perception thing. When you are the person trying to type fast it seems like time is flying, when you are the person watching the person coming up with something it feels like it is dragging. Since you were winging it, the performance was going slow and that made it hard to know when you were finished ( Long pauses feel like finishes) I believe I saw you bow and started clapping, assuming it was over. In retrospect I think you may have been bowing to the guildldeader as part of your act? Since everyone else clapped with me never gave it another thought.

We didn't hear about your not finishing your act until two more acts had already completed. My guess is that Morlen might have missed your first whisper? Remember things are busier in our background than it looks for the players. I have oodles of events experience and I miss stuff all the time. By the time it was relayed to us it didn't feel fair to give a redo. On the fly it felt like a bad idea to give anyone a redo after other folks had completed their scenes. It can be super tough to tell the difference between honest mistake and someone just having bad feelings about their performance. So it fell into what I would call the greater good category again with the caveat that quick decision making during an event is hard.

I'm sorry things didn't go as you had hoped. I do however want it to be clear that you were not singled out due to anything personal in nature. The decision made regarding this instance would have applied to anyone in the same exact situation. Personally speaking I'm big on accepting peoples individual play style and have no issue with a fast talking Gnome. In fact I toss it in my different, thereby interesting, pile. You specifically sound like the type person I want to show up at our playful style events and would encourage you to reconsider your feelings.

Thanks,
Leucius,
Mentor Society Chief

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Toy Show Event 12/26/15 12/27/2015 10:21 PM CST
Hey there Leucius! Thanks for responding so quick. I agree pacing is a perception thing. I don't think I was going slower than some others performing, but again perception. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but my issue wasn't with your comments at all, it was more that Morlen said "good show" in the middle of my act even before I bowed suggesting that my time was over. I was confused and started to clap and participate further with the others because they called them so quick and I didn't want to be rude to the other contestants. I did bow as part of my act so I can see how that can be misconstrued but Morlen had already made their comments so I then began to whisper them.

It wasn't about a redo or winning as I said before, I just felt very rushed and it seemed like I was the only one that was in the middle of an act and told "good show" signaling for me to end and have someone else be called even though others had longer and slower paced acts. Maybe in the future for these types of events you should have the person signal they are done to avoid any other miscommunications and hurt feelings.

As far as the whispers go, by the time I had typed out my first whisper to Morlen, it was already one act later because it was going by so fast. Perhaps they could have said something back in an apology or stating it was a miscommunication rather than just saying nothing. I know its tough to catch whispers and it is busy behind the scenes but that confirmed more the feelings of me not being wanted there. I know there where a lot of people present and it's not just about me, you guys have an event to run but it would have been nice to just get an answer back in return, that's just common courtesy.

I've had events with you before Leucius and it was great and fun. I didn't hope to get anything out of this besides fun. I'd like to come to other things because I play this game to RP and interact with others, but maybe you guys can take this as a learning experience from the player not event runner perspective. I'll take it as a learning experience too.

Thanks! :)
Fizzy :D
Re: Toy Show Event 12/26/15 12/28/2015 12:15 AM CST
Can't edit and didn't want to delete lol.

Just wanted to add to make sure it was understood that any delay in me OOCing Morlen after the first whisper was because I was waiting for confirmation of the rules since that is why I thought I was rushed off with the "good show" comment. I did hear back from them a bit later saying it was "about two lines". I then OOC'd them about not being able to finish and didn't get a response. Again I get it, they were running an event so they are busy. I've been involved as an event runner in other games so I completely understand. :)

Bottom line, it wasn't about my performance or getting a redo or winning (I knew I wouldn't win since others had prepared lol), it was more about the treatment I received from a Mentor. If they would have responded something like "oops sorry, thought you were done" then I would have been ok. Or even "talk after the event" if they were too busy.

Sorry for the extra post! On my phone so its tough to post LOL. Just wanted to make myself clear :)