Mentor Applications 05/13/2004 10:59 AM CDT
Recently (as of a week or two), we've been experiencing some tech issues with our application page. We are diligently working on an alternate solution.

~Maece

[[Space for Rent]]
Re: Mentor Applications 05/13/2004 01:31 PM CDT
hmm yes, the application link does not work as you say.

If you could give us a nod when things are back to normal it would be greatly appreciated.

Zee
Re: Mentor Applications 05/18/2004 07:54 AM CDT
The application seems to be up and running again. GM Ceosanna and I are processing applications again. Keep on the lookout for either Ceosanna, myself, or Chief Aily's email.

~Maece

[[Space for Rent]]
Re: Mentor Applications 05/19/2004 02:09 PM CDT
Just a heads up that it seems like the application page goes through intermittent hiccups. Please be sure that when you apply, that you keep a copy of your information in case things go wonky.

A confirmation of the app going through will be a copy sent to your play.net address. Please be sure this is updated.

~Maece

[[Space for Rent]]
Re: Mentor Applications 07/09/2004 12:29 AM CDT
I'm also eagerly awaitng a positive response to my application. So far all I have is an autoreply.
You know I want me in, I know you want me in, let's make it happen!

Markhor
Re: Mentor Applications 07/09/2004 10:27 AM CDT
We've been getting a ton of apps lately, please know that we're getting to it as quick as we can,Markhor. Things should get better once DR2 settles in and all of the GMs can devote more time to things that uhm.. aren't DR2.

Drex
Mentor Chief of Council
Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 09/16/2004 03:26 PM CDT
Heylo there!

Do you have a desire to help out young adventurers with your strong IG knowledge?

Do you enjoy role playing and encouraging others by setting an example?

The Lorethew Mentor Society is currently accepting applications for all guilds. To apply, please visit the following web site:

http://www.dm.net/~aldamus/Mentors/default.htm

Then:

Click on "DragonRealms" at top right hand corner.

Click on "Applications" at the top left hand corner.

TIPS WHEN APPLYING:

*Please read the basic requirements located on the application page.

*Make sure your play.net is linked to a valid e-mail address that you use.

*List ALL your accounts, even if you no longer play them. Please provide any necessary explanation.

*The "About You" section is meant to be your time to shine. This section can sometimes make or break an application. This is the section where you tell us something about yourself, why you want to be a Mentor, and even do some bragging. This is most helpful when we're not overly familiar with your contributions in DragonRealms.

*You will receive a copy of your own application after you submit it. If you don't, it may not have gone through. Please try again at a later time to be sure.

TO PAST APPLICANTS:

If you have applied in the past and not received a response, it is possible there was a problem with the paperwork not going through or with the email you provided, and you should apply again. Also, if you applied a while ago and are still interested, please feel free to apply again. Having the most up to date information in your application is very helpful to us!

Thank you,

Tsarenzi
Chief of Events
Lorethew Mentor Society
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 09/17/2004 10:12 AM CDT
Heh... stinks to get an e-mail turning you down and telling you to re-apply later on one day and seeing this kind of post the next day ;)

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
~Herm Albright
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 09/17/2004 11:04 AM CDT
Patience grasshopper.

Yes, sometimes people will be turned down for a variety of reasons of which only you and the GMs are privy to. The fact that you were encouraged to reapply at a later time indicates that you would still be considered "mentor material" if the original reason for the rejection isn't repeated during that time.

I know it is frustrating to wish to help and be a mentor, to know that you have the skills and knowledge and then to be turned down. I also know that those that are patient and persistant enough to get past it and work to become mentors later are some of the best in the society.

I also know you have it within you to do that, Raydell. Hang in there.

Drexella
Chief of Council
Lorethew Mentor Society
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 09/17/2004 11:14 AM CDT
I don't remember reading a reason :( I deleted the e-mail, too. Hehe. Oh well, maybe I will try later. Thanks, Drex.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
~Herm Albright
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 09/17/2004 05:06 PM CDT
The reason why you aren't accepted is not usually included in the notification for various reasons. However, if you are interested in the reason, you can always write to Maece at dr-maece@play.net with a request for the response and she will find out for you. Remember, you need to ask this personally, as she can't tell anyone else.

Tsarenzi
Events Chief
Lorethew Mentor Society
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 09/17/2004 06:39 PM CDT
>However, if you are interested in the reason, you can always write to Maece at dr-maece@play.net with a request for the response and she will find out for you. Remember, you need to ask this personally, as she can't tell anyone else.

Actually, if you can no longer respond to the original email, you should send one to Maece and myself.

Cheers!

Ceosanna
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/01/2004 03:33 PM CDT
Hmmm, wish I could do it. Ever think of having a mentor light? Someone who passes the knowledge tests but maybe doesn't have a perfect record, either in role playing or account status? (Or can't consistently make 10 hours per month.)

Basically a badge or something that has two functions. 1) let the poor novice know this is someone who has a general clue and 2) have it work like the albredine rings and lets the mentor light get ahold of a real mentor for the youngster. I and my husband have certainly spent our time helping out novices in our respective guilds, but there have been times I'd have loved to be able to summon a mentor for a youngster of one of the guilds we don't play.

Dio
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/01/2004 08:53 PM CDT
You can always just send them to Jadewater Mansion in Crossings or Aldamus Mansion in Riverhaven. To get directions, it's DIR Mentor.

~Fillia

"It's got that Catcher-in-the-Ryey- I-hate-the-world-and-the-world-hates-me-so-let's-commit-suicide ambience."
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/01/2004 09:16 PM CDT
I can see where you're going with this and it's a nice idea. We certainly talk with the GMs about it. However, I don't think it will be able to come to life quite as you're envisioning it. Because mentors are considered a form of staff that represents DragonRealms to new players, the clean policy is considered important, so that we show these novices a good face. Any form of mentors would need to be at least somewhat official, so I don't see this requirement going away entirely. Perhaps some sort of testing event to certify that you are well informed about Elanthia would be possible without any regards to background or other qualifications besides knowledge, but the attachment of this group of people to the Mentor Society as a sort of Mentor Light version would be much harder to achieve.

Also, in case you weren't aware, mentors do have possibilities in case they can't make their full time commitment for a while. However, it isn't designed for permanently lower hours, but more for certain months when the mentor has other things interfering. I know this isn't quite what you meant, but perhaps it serves well enough.

But as I said, we'll speak with the GMs and talk about it amongst ourselves, and we'll see.

Tsarenzi
Events Chief
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/04/2004 09:35 AM CDT
Hi all,

Having read an earlier post about someone being turned down and then soon afterwards seeing a call for more mentors, I can see his point entirely.

Now I am not saying he deserves to be a mentor as I have no idea whether he is suitable or not, but from my own experience in applying (first time nothing at all, second time a reply from Maece saying the application was received but then nothing) perhaps the system is just too cumbersome, full of red tape and takes just too long to process people.

Personally, I needed something else to whet my appetite, as playing for 5 years had just about taken its toll. So I applied and quick as a flash, nothing. As a result, I ceased playing and took a short break. Now if my application had been turned around quicker, (and obviously assuming I had been accepted) I would have stayed playing. Simu would have got their money, and the game would have got a dedicated and pretty good (in my opinion) mentor.

Mentors are very important, especially to keep players playing and arranging events that keeps everyones interest up. I understand the need to ensure the right calibre of character is chosen, so perhaps the whole list of pre-requisites need to be overhauled. Why say minimum of 10 hours when you could have twice the mentors giving 5 hours ? is that not better ? Why insist on attendance at monthly meetings when e-mails are easily good enough to spread the neccessary messages.

If you are short of mentors, it is for a very good reason. It is either too difficult to meet all your requirements or it is not attractive enough for people to concentrate their energy on. Either way, the game is suffering as a result.

I am not saying you should lower your standards, but look at the requirements. Perhaps then all will benefit from more mentors, (perhaps some of them being a little different or colourful than the usual mentor) but what the hell. Give em a chance, you can always sack em if they are no good !!

Zee
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/04/2004 01:16 PM CDT
Ten hours are seriously nothing. Between helping out at novice nights, attending meetings and spending time on the lawn, you can get more than that. And on that note, the meetings are helpful because they give people a chance to just spend some time together. I understand how easy it is to communicate through e-mail, and if you can't make the meetings it's not the end of the world, but it's just a very nice environment.

Mentors need to be cream of the crop, because these are the people that brand new people to the game are going to see. That is why the requirements sometimes seem so strict. I would rather have a couple very dedicated people on my team then a full team with people who can only put in five hours a month.

~Fillia

"It's got that Catcher-in-the-Ryey- I-hate-the-world-and-the-world-hates-me-so-let's-commit-suicide ambience."
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/04/2004 01:25 PM CDT
>>>Mentors need to be cream of the crop

LOL Guess I'd better never apply then.

~Dulcinia

You look at a baby wolf and sigh.
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/04/2004 02:26 PM CDT
<<I would rather have a couple very dedicated people on my team then a full team with people who can only put in five hours a month>>

That is my point. It is the people still in the mentoring system who stick to the 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it' The fact that it might suit you, is not the point is it? Surely 50 good mentors giving great advice to newbies 24/7 but only managing 5 hours each, is better than 5 dedicated hard working stalwarts put in 20 hours each. As long as advice is good, and that they conduct themselves well, who cares if they are not the 'cream of the crop'.

The game is short of mentors. It needs fixing for the good of the game. Be radical !!
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/04/2004 03:47 PM CDT
I have decided not to worry about applying again. Figuring how the only two warnings I had were on the same day, two seperate accounts (for AFK scripting on my two accounts) and over two years ago, then I guess they are a bit more strict than I feel they should be.

I agree that you may have to be lenient when it comes to mentors. Some of the best people who have mentored me would not have a prairie dog's chance under a steamroller in making your program. Perhaps you should consider other things, although, I do not know what the overall requirements are. Still sucks, but I guess no big loss to anyone.

~Herm Albright
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/04/2004 08:35 PM CDT
What some of you may not know (though some probably do) is that there is more than one layer of approvals that applications have to go through. Yes, the chiefs and guild representatives have a say in if you're accepted or not, but only after you've gotten through the initial GM panel approval. There are some applications we never see, because they didn't pass GM panel approval. This is where the warnings come into play. Chances are if you are turned down because of a warning on your account, it was because the GM panel thought it was a problem. We mentors don't have much of any say until you actually get an interview and we get to talk with you. We never see the warnings and can't decide what is too bad and what is not really a problem.

As for the amount of time required, 10 hours really is minimal, and there's a lot of choices to fulfill it at all times of the day and night. We understand that there are times people can't manage this, but for those people that can never handle 10 hours a month, that's really getting to be rather sparse. Even just finding matching times to get their training requirements done would be very hard. And meetings!

On the topic of not requiring meetings, I suppose we could, but that makes the meetings next to useless. They are a good time to discuss possibilities, explain things and get immeadiate feedback if something isn't clear, and to touch base with people about what they're working on besides the things that are already official, and thus the chiefs know about. The less people show up to meetings, the less effective each of these things become. We do understand if you have a good reason to miss the meetings, but if you just wanted to stay and chat with your friends or go hunting, that isn't showing us any dedication and is just weakening the society.

If you have any concerns about the application process or problems therewith, feel free to contact me, or Drexella who is our Council Chief, or write to GMs Maece or Ceosanna at their play.net addresses. There is always room for mistakes, an application going lost for example, or your email being wrong and so we can't contact you.

We really do have the best intentions for the Realms and the Society at heart, though I can understand why some of you look at it as just a resistance to change. We do have reasoning behind all of the requirements. They aren't just there for no reason at all, and we feel that they are important. If you feel that something does need changed, you're welcome to tell us that, and we will consider it, but there will need to be a better reason just than people don't really like it.

Tsarenzi
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/04/2004 09:01 PM CDT
I still don't like cliques.

~Bre

Jealousy, that dragon which slays love under the pretence of keeping it alive
--Havelock Ellis
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/04/2004 09:21 PM CDT
That was funny, Bre. Gave me a good chuckle.

~Fillia

Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/05/2004 12:07 AM CDT
aww hell, you know I really like you guys. I liked you enough that I was a mentor for a brief time, but mentoring and being on sea duty was a bad mix.

I'd think about trying again next year when I come back home to settle down for 3 years of cushy shore duty, but I think you, Fillia, know why that would be a bad idea.

~Bre

--Havelock Ellis
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/05/2004 07:30 PM CDT
Hi folks!

This was a very good topic to talk about. And Tsarenzi hit all the key points on the nose. The bottom line is that the Mentor Society is the official mentoring program; therefore, we are representatives of Simutronics. Mentors have always been held to a higher standard before and after hiring. This will never change. To back up what Tsarenzi stated, first level screening is your account history... all of your accounts.

If a candidate has a potty mouth, why would we want to risk hiring someone that might say something offensive or vulgar to a brand new person - even on accident?

If the candidate has a several scripting warnings, why wouldn't we assume that the candidate condones afk scripting?

But please remember, we look at your entire history but of course, moreso recently. And when I say recently, I don't mean the last 6 months, but rather the last year or two. We believe in second chances and we know that most of us have made mistakes during their time in DR. And if you've really got the heart and desire to be a mentor, be sure to tell us all about it in your application.

I hope this helps provide the perspective of the Mentor GMs. Ceosanna and I are responsible for the Mentor Society and all the people in it. When we hire, we look at the whole society now and for the future.

On a lighter note, we will also have spots to fill in the Mentor Society, this hasn't been different for many years. We typically have more spots open in certain guilds than in others.

And 10 hours isn't that much unless you flat out don't play that much in a month.

Sorry to be so long winded about this. We're not trying to be mean when we reject a candidate. If you aren't sure why you were rejected, please do write back and ask why. Also, please give us at least a month to process an application and make SURE your play.net is updated. I can't express that enough.

~Maece
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/05/2004 09:06 PM CDT
I've got to wonder though, if some concessions shouldn't be made in certain cases. Everything is by the book, black in white, it seems, in your hiring process, but there are reasons and stories behind the marks on someones record.

I've been around this game for over 5 years, the vast majority of it as a thief, but I've dabbled in other guilds. I know more about this game than alot of current and past mentors, and more than a few GMs. I'm a good player, I like to roleplay, and on top of all that, I'm a good, and nice person.

Because of one mark on my record, where I was in a room with someone that was being a colossal snert, was running his mouth, insulting anyone within earshot, abusing mechanics to kill another players character and I decided to put a stop to his antics. I was a little heavy handed in doling out his lesson, but it was effective, none the less.

He went from roleplaying a loudmouth boor, to being a whining reporter, and called a GM on me. I chose not to beg and plead with the GM, admitting that I should have asked the guys permission before I killed him, and though she understood the situation, policy dictated that I at least be issued a caution. A caution.

Because of this, I was not good enough to be a mentor. 5+ years of good, and that caution marks me as a villian, not good enough to aid in the mentoring of new gameplayers. This isn't right. It can't be.

~Bre

--Havelock Ellis
Re: Mentor Applications - We need more mentors! 10/06/2004 03:23 PM CDT
It's just a matter of time and what's occurred from the warning or caution until the next application. Please contact me personally via email (DR-Maece@play.net) so that we may discuss your situation further.

~Maece

"Say something crazy! Like you're wearing women's underwear or something!"
Mentor Applications - Please read if you applied recently 12/13/2004 07:01 AM CST
It has recently come to my attention that the Mentor Applications have not been processing correctly on the web site. Furthermore, it appears that this has been going on for about a month. If you have submitted an application since 11/14, we didn't receive it.

We appreciate your patience while we work towards rectifying this situation. In the meantime, you may either choose to wait till the form is fixed (I'll post once it is), or you may use the form as a template and email it to the following addresses:

DR-Maece@play.net
DR-Ceosanna@play.net

Please send it to both, not one or the other. Thank you!

~Maece

"I have an idea. We draw straws and the loser runs across the lot with a ham sandwich." ~Dawn of the Dead~
Re: Mentor Applications - Please read if you applied recently 01/18/2005 06:44 PM CST
Thanks for your patience everyone. The Mentor Application page is up and running again.

~Maece

"I have an idea. We draw straws and the loser runs across the lot with a ham sandwich." ~Dawn of the Dead~