Soliciting Donations 05/15/2008 10:35 AM CDT
Since there's been a lot of work done on Orders lately maybe this can be changed and a rule can be added or something.

I think using an Order or its website as a vehicle to solicit personal donations should be banned and Order speakers or council members that do this should be reprimanded somehow. That isn't what Orders are for.

Rev. Reene

Me: Are...are you listening to Britney Spears?
Idon: You have Evanescence on your playlist. You don't get to judge me.
Re: Soliciting Donations 05/15/2008 11:23 AM CDT
I checked out the Order of the Black Fox site and there is a spot for real money donations but nowhere did I see on it a reason for the donations, if for the order or not. I can't see why a game order needs real money

Am I missing something?

~Averalaan,
player of
Re: Soliciting Donations 05/15/2008 11:35 AM CDT
It is partly for website hosting (which I still haven't paid for. Sorry lady!), and partly if anyone feels like being nice and donating money to help me keep my DR, my comcast, etc etc. It's a bit tight around here lately, but it's getting better. We all hit ruts.

As of current I haven't gotten any donations. Do I expect them? No.

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
Badtooth slips an ice pick in his spidersilk garter, tightening the ribbons securely below his knee.
>gasp bad
You gasp at Badtooth!
>wave shade
You fan yourself.
Re: Soliciting Donations 05/15/2008 11:37 AM CDT
>> It is partly for website hosting (which I still haven't paid for. Sorry lady!)

Your website isn't being hosted for RL cash, it's being hosted for plats.

Unless you're using the cash to buy plats or something.

Rev. Reene

Me: Are...are you listening to Britney Spears?
Idon: You have Evanescence on your playlist. You don't get to judge me.
Re: Soliciting Donations 05/15/2008 11:40 AM CDT
if you're asking for donations for personal reasons for yourself, shouldn't you be stating that is the reason you've put that link there?

Some may be donating thinking it's for the order.

I think it's distasteful to ask for personal donations for your real life on an in game Order site. Perhaps that is just me but that seems incredibly wrong.
Re: Soliciting Donations 05/15/2008 06:51 PM CDT
>Your website isn't being hosted for RL cash, it's being hosted for plats.

It's either or.

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
Badtooth slips an ice pick in his spidersilk garter, tightening the ribbons securely below his knee.
>gasp bad
You gasp at Badtooth!
>wave shade
You fan yourself.
Re: Soliciting Donations 05/15/2008 07:21 PM CDT
Having a website for an order is a nice thing, but also an optional thing. Back a few years ago we used yahoo groups for ours until we could do a website like we have now. As speaker I take care of making sure the website stays hosted just as the one before me did but nobody is responsible for making sure I can stay ingame except myself.
Re: Soliciting Donations 05/15/2008 10:16 PM CDT
To me its very unfortunate that this took place and I find it distasteful in the extreme. I know boards are Out of Character and they are the domain of the creator or administrator to decide what content goes on them, however in this instance I do find it tacky.

___
~Ternith Sjomah

Yolesi snorts and says to you, "Looks like you've been on a samatak binge. That's illegal, even in these parts, and I don't want any part of that trouble."
Re: Soliciting Donations 05/15/2008 11:14 PM CDT
This type of solicitation is not something that Simutronics is involved in. An external web-site is just that, external to the game. I can only control what appears and happens within the game.

I will be monitoring this, and getting some advice on it.

Ariawen.
Re: Soliciting Donations 05/18/2008 10:24 PM CDT
Websites cost money, as anyone who's run one knows. I've ran a handful of fansites/guilds/whathaveyou and always have a paypal button for donations up. I've only a scant number of times gotten donations, but it was nice for a month or two to not have cost for a group effort coming out of my personal pocket when I already dedicated ten or fifteen hours of free time a week to upkeep, moderation etc.

Domain registration and hosting really can add up. I see nothing wrong with accepting donations from members to keep a community site up and running.

Personal donations are another matter. I don't know the exact situation but if the money is going anywhere other than the upkeep of a community site should be stated clearly as such. Nothing wrong with it either in my opinion, -if- done correctly. Having friends help you out if you're need is a personal thing, and not something to be tacked onto the front of a community site. I've helped online friends out with game fees or such if they were in tough times because I wanted them to stay around and been helped in return when tough times have hit my home. Gaming communities can be very tight knit and godsend in times of need. Just be clear about where the money is going, and don't turn your groups site into a moneygrab.