Event Happenings 01/13/2003 08:54 AM CST
Dear Fellow Orders and GM's,

I am displeased to announce that the Theren Guard's hosting of the Cane Spar Competition is not going to be held due to lack of GM support or response.

Three different scrolls were sent to the order GM's asking for guidance and assistance with the event and none were ever answered. We gave long notice, approximately 6 weeks, and asked if we needed to ask for help in a different way. Also sent was the "Events Request Form" in the format required.

It thoroughly upsets me that the Orders are required to maintain such high standards and are monitored very closely for any mistakes that may be had, however the Orders are very little of the benefits we are told should be available to us.

Right now there are no Order only shops that I am aware of, along with no Order houses or even Recruiting Offices. I understand that setting those things up takes time and manpower, and are in the process of being worked on. However with the event assistance also promised, there is no action either. The only other item that is a benefit to being an Official Order is the badges, which I must admit, seem to be working just fine for us.

Are any other orders having similar troubles and failing to see the worthwhile benefits of being an Official Order? I would appreciate discussion on this and am curious to know if anyone has found a way to make the system work.

Sincerely,
Sonjha Newcomb
Events Coordinator
Theren Guard
Re: Event Happenings 01/13/2003 10:47 AM CST
I must comment on this personally, Event assistance was never promised, just told it would likely be easy for them to assist, The Apostles for one, have ALWAYS planned events (with the exception of one which was for all Orders when Lanahle was Orders GM) to work without any GM help, just always had the GM help stuff in mind, and allowed it to work that way.

As far as your cane competion, I do not see how you cant do it without GM help, only thing they would add is an EVENTS listing on the calendar and on the IG News, you could even post under Official Order Events (Events board) asking for them to do it, the Events team has the 'ok' to send news Items and Event Board listings if I am correct.

Thanks for listening,
~Callek

"A leaf is a leaf, a mug a mug, but if you drink from a leaf you might eat a bug."~My Brother Thonge's Quote of the week.
Re: Event Happenings 01/13/2003 12:40 PM CST
Thank you for your response.

On the DR Orders site, where the benifits are listed, we are told that we will get events assistance.

Specifically, we wanted GM assistance with announcing the event, creating an unlimited supply of equally sized and weighted branches for carving of the canes, and having new prizes created for the event along with food and drink.

If we know ahead of time, it could be worked around, but with no answer at all, I must confess my dissapointment.

Sonjha Newcomb
Re: Event Happenings 01/13/2003 01:08 PM CST
<<Specifically, we wanted GM assistance with announcing the event, creating an unlimited supply of equally sized and weighted branches for carving of the canes, and having new prizes created for the event along with food and drink.

If we know ahead of time, it could be worked around, but with no answer at all, I must confess my dissapointment.

Sonjha Newcomb >>

Ok first off i am not a big guard fan However i was lookin forward to this. I Don't think GM assistance is needed really. The random factor for foragin the branches is what made it interesting for me. The different weights kind of made the thing less stat and skill based and more of a random factor. As far as the food and drink go I will chip in a few coins if ye like and we can hit one of the taverns with a chest or box and load it up with booze and maybe grab another one for food. To offset the cost if ye like charge a small entry free into the compition. Say a gold or so. For bards maybe a plat since we all seen them drink...
Prizes are not that big an issue if ye want something really nice have one of the ten folks offer a pounded out gaultet or something maybe throw in a hunk of a rare metal in the guatlet then ye got a REAL PRIZE worth keeping. the other prizes just throw something togeather. GM support can be a good thing but i don't think it is needed really.

Cadderrly
Re: Event Happenings 01/13/2003 01:24 PM CST
Sonjha,
I understand exactly what you're saying, and was very disappointed when the GM notified us awhile back that they would not help with every event an Official Order was running. I believe a notice was sent out to all the Orders as well as announced on the boards.
Tirna Ballintra~
Re: Event Happenings 01/13/2003 04:13 PM CST
Naiph and Lanahle Have done alot for orders over the past few years. I have been Speaker of Li Tumbra Mir since 2/26/01. I have seen alot change in things while I have been here. There is alot of proof of things getting better and advancing. I have often times gotten alot of things done for my events, planned and requested and seen things I really truely didn't think would happen be accomplished. I've seen things from fireworks, to a Mole-Smashing Game, to wonderful Catering.
Naiph and Lanahle are both wonderful people and great at what they do. They have truely done a wonderful job with things, and I would never wish to have anyone else in charge of this, because these two have proven beyond any doubt in my mind that when they have the time, and are allowed to work they can accomplish wonderful things. Granted there have been periods that we got left without warning, but sometimes that's the way life dictates things have to be. It happens to everyone at some point and I don't believe anyone has the right to hold having a real life with real issues against either of them. I would never have continued on as a member of an Official Order if I did not have faith in both of them. And I'm sure there are at least several others who feel the same way.
Jarle Shannarrah
Speaker of Li Tumbra Mir
Re: Event Happenings 01/13/2003 04:26 PM CST
I know I been gone awhile, but I'd have to agree with Jarle for most of that. Naiph's always been great, even when she's been swamped with things to do in RL and in game.
Sometimes stuff happens and you can't always accomplish everything you'd hope for, but ya do the best you can. Being disappointed is understandable, but it's also possible to keep things going without GM assistance.
The Apostles always had great help and support with our events with or without always asking for it sometimes! <hugs Naiph> Glad to hear you are back Naiph!

<salute>

Allurana, ex-Apostles Speaker, and still supporter.
Re: Event Happenings 01/13/2003 05:06 PM CST
I had hoped to see the results of the cane competition too. Certainly a lot of people trained hard with just that in mind.

Ryeka

P.S.: Allurana you silly elf! Get in touch with your cousin before I nag about it!
Re: Event Happenings 01/13/2003 06:18 PM CST
What to say that sounds... objective. I think there are some persons' that could do the same, even if there is an extreme amount of disappointment in a given situation.

I can empathize with the situation and the feelings regarding it. I can apologize for your perceived outlook on the situation. And I will do so.

But there are many things that go on behind the scenes that we can't elaborate on. If there is a reason, sometimes we can explain and elaborate, sometimes we can't say a word.

Instead of offering words that might soothe and win-over, I'm going to try the blunt approach first... perhaps that will be more helpful.

Consider this, please.

There are three orders at minimum that cannot function because of changes in their Officers and there is a glitch we are working on to fix that. TG you are one of them.

There is a promise made a year ago to have recruiting offices live, that we are struggling very hard to get accomplished.

There have been countless emails about the flaws in the documentation and that not everything is written clearly on the guidelines.

Our NEWS section went defunct until... about 5 minutes ago... and putting anything in there wasn't -possible-.

There are two GM planned events that have been under planning and designing.

There are two charters that have been read and re-read and need to be finalized.

There is only so much time in one day, and email usually falls last on the list of things to cover. To be completely honest with you all, while I want you to promote yourselves and be active and I want to support your endeavors... Right now there are certain things that I am sure mean more to you that we accomplish first.

If this event is something you absolutely positively cannot do without GM assistance then it should probably be reworked until the GM assistance is a "bonus" not a "Detriment". That has been the standard from the beginning.. .the assistance is a perk to the event, not the key to making the event work.

If it is something that you can do without the assitance, then let us regroup and focus on that aspect, and plan a way that, given the above-mentioned priorities, facilitating your event does not demand hours that just aren't available.

Naiph
Re: Event Happenings 01/13/2003 06:31 PM CST
Heya Naiph, If there's anything at all I can do to help out or make things easier for you, Just lemme know.
Jarle
Re: Event Happenings 01/14/2003 03:12 PM CST
The trend that I've seen and I think the source of the most hard feelings is the silence. Questions are asked, and there are no answers. Emails are sent and there are no answers.

In this case, the Theren Guard submited a request for event assistance 6 weeks before the event. I simply can't believe that in 6 weeks one of the "team" of orders GM's couldn't find the time to reply and say I'm sorry we can't help with this. It seems a simple courtesy so that other arrangements can be made.

Is a response really so much to ask?

The mind behind...
Vivviane.
RE: Event Happenings 01/14/2003 07:05 PM CST
While I understand this frustration the fact remains things need to be approved, built, QC'd, etc. This can take a long time to accomplish. As an ALAE member, we can all state and agree the QC process alone takes a long time.

ALAE alone goes through at least 3 QC's. 2 of them by fellow ALAE members and 1 by the GM's. Now, if the same is true for GM's (several QC's to make sure bugs are worked out) that means it will take -longer- then what it takes us as normal players doing it in ALAE because they have their own developments to do on top of QC.

So if the TG put in a request for prizes, yes - 6 weeks is not enough. I'm no GM, but relatively speaking I would give them a 90 day notice of what exactly is requested at the least.

As for the no responses, I can't really say. Our order really hasn't had problems with getting a response to my knowledge.

Gwen/Flura
RE: Event Happenings 01/15/2003 12:16 AM CST
I can rework the rules, etc.., to deal with the misshap of no GM involvement. I do still think the Cane Spar will be an awesome and fun event for everyone to participate in. I just despise last minute fixing for everything, especially after waiting so long for even a yes or no from above.

Vivviane hit the nail on the head with the silience answer. I totally understand Naiph and the group being so busy, those other reworks take a whole lot of time and energy. I would just have preferred a note in reply stating "Sorry, we don't have time. Your gonna have to pull it off yourself." Especially considering how much they have been around TG lately. ::grins::

It sounds like we may still have a fun time with the event, however it will be much lower scale than I was anticipating initially. I am going to think it over a little while, and try to get more of a concensous as I certainly can't do it all myself...... however you guys almost have me convinced to run around like a chicken with my head cut off and do it anyway this Saturday.

Please respond on what you think, and let me know if you will spread word to your relative groups. The more people, the better.

Sincerely,
Sonjha Newcomb
Theren Guard Events Coordinator

P.S. You guys are the best!!
RE: Event Happenings 01/15/2003 08:03 AM CST
<<So if the TG put in a request for prizes, yes - 6 weeks is not enough. I'm no GM, but relatively speaking I would give them a 90 day notice of what exactly is requested at the least.>>

We've had at least one event request out there for 6 months or more (May, I believe). I don't know if we ever got a response regarding our email, but we were told during the conference in August, when we asked, and they told us they would not be doing anything until after recruitment day. We've recently reissued it (I think it was November), but still have gotten no response.

Xanzie
RE: Event Happenings 01/15/2003 10:53 AM CST
Recruitment day, (still) hasnt gone on, it was an Idea passed around for a while back, we had planned on a date, but I assume RL issues got in Lanahle's way from getting back to us after she picked a day. Hmm... I gues recruitment day cant happen until the Orders have their respective people in the right places.

And would also be a HUGE help if we had Order Offices. Give the GM's some time, Naiph hardly even checks e-mail from what I hear from all her work trying to get everything set and okayed.

As a general rule, just for those interested (The Apostles follow it, and I Suggest everyone does, regarding events) Plan your events around the fact that 'this would be good...can my Order do it alone, (yes)...would it be better with GM help, (yes)...what would I want for GM help, (...)... and What will I do without it.

Those few simple questions to ask yourself about events is a good one, if you cant get the last question done, IMHO there should not be an event planned, as anything can come up GM side to cancel their involvement. Sure if they planned on it, they will try to make it (Especially if it involves or involved coding time by them) but always plan for the worst (while most event wont be 'the worst' even if not run by a GM)

I leave you all with a trailing quote, and a disclaimer. ;0)

"We are A Player Run Organization, not a GM Run, Player Organized, Group. Now go tell everyone who is waiting for the powers of GMship without the wait to buzz off"~My ranting voice...

Disclaimer: These views are mine (the players) alone, and do not reflect nor hope to reflect the views of the Order of the Apostles as a whole, and should not hamper any relations my Order has heretoforth made with any and all groups.

~Justin/Callek
"A leaf is a leaf, a mug a mug, but if you drink from a leaf you might eat a bug."~My Brother Thonge's Quote of the week.
RE: Event Happenings 01/17/2003 09:11 AM CST
Just a suggestion for the order wanting to hold that event...I don't know if you've thought about it, but you can cater your own event by having a few picnic baskets shipped in from the islands. That would give you a nice variety of food for folks to help themselves too. Besides, what says picnic more than folks hitting each other with branches? hehe

Also, if you need prizes, why not have each entrant donate one item as an entry fee. Nearly everyone has some doodads stuffed in their vault they haven't used in forever, which someone else could find to be a great prize. :-)

~Cetacea
RE: Event Happenings 01/19/2003 05:35 PM CST
You guys are the best, and I must thank all of you for your imputs and support on this. The Theren Guard Council has voted to hold the Cane Spar Event on the 1st of February, by the old calander, at 4:00 Elothian Standard Time. The even will be held from the Theren Gate, "go trail". This room is city neutral so all rangers and thieves will have equal standing!

I had not thought of having the event cattered from the islands, and that sounds a lot better than running around gathering up foodstuffs myself.

We do have some fun things planned to make you crack a few smiles. Once again, I really must thank all of you for your wonderful support. Please make mention of this upcomming event to your group members. We should have a ball!

Sincerely,
Sonjha Newcomb
Events Coordinator
Theren Guard
RE: Event Happenings 01/20/2003 10:59 AM CST
as far as announcing to the Apostles Members, if you have a membership to the YahooGroup 'drapostle' you can feel free to post it yourself (free joining on that list) otherwise you can feel free to send me (at my play.net addie) the exact announcement you would like me to post, and I will do that for you.
~Callek, Treasurer of the Order of the Apostles