the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 05:08 AM CST
since the new experience system has been put in, the problem that i've found with it is that it basically negated the "fix" that originally had been put in to make teaching more palatable.

I've had no problem learning "teaching". However, the Teacher learns zero. zilch, nada of the subject being taught.
Even when being taught by someone of the same species <race>.

And that basically makes it back to the way the skill used to be - namely major suckage.

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 07:25 AM CST
>>However, the Teacher learns zero. zilch, nada of the subject being taught.

This isn't true but it is a pathetically small amount.
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 07:54 AM CST
<<This isn't true but it is a pathetically small amount.

That's depends on how you look at it too. It's still the same number of bits going in and out, the system is just pulsing larger into 3 times the pool size. People don't see themselves mind locking in the subject or scholarship because the inital pulse is enough to clear them to 0.

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.
-Armifer
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 08:15 AM CST
I actually find that I learn just fine when I'm teaching. No, the skill being taught doesn't lock, but it's continuously getting to 1 and pulsing. I taught a shield class a few days ago and although I never saw it go past 1/34, I gained over 30% of a rank from the class. I have no complaints about that.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 08:21 AM CST
>>I actually find that I learn just fine when I'm teaching. No, the skill being taught doesn't lock, but it's continuously getting to 1 and pulsing. I taught a shield class a few days ago and although I never saw it go past 1/34, I gained over 30% of a rank from the class. I have no complaints about that.

I do, getting to 1 isn't getting the same amount of experience as you used to when you could get to mind lock. If I was able to keep it around 3 constantly I wouldn't have any complaints.
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 08:46 AM CST
I guess I'm looking at it a little differently. When I'm teaching, my primary goal isn't to learn the subject that I'm teaching. If it was, then I'd have a problem with the results. As a 'side benefit', it seems fine to me. I understand the other side of it, it just isn't an issue for me I guess.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 10:28 AM CST
"my primary goal isn't to learn the subject that I'm teaching. If it was, then I'd have a problem with the results. As a 'side benefit', it seems fine to me."

I am curious what your primary goal is then? For me, yes I am pleased to be able to teach a skill when I happen to be around other characters, but since my character needs Teaching in order to circle, I need more Teaching than I learn incidentally.

So what does Flavius get from Teaching? He learns teaching of course- but that is rather a circular argument. Learning Teaching well so I can Teach so I can learn Teaching well is not very satisfactory to me.

Being able to learn some of the skill taught and some scholarship are what made this somewhat more palatable. I realize the point that we are still learning it at the highest rate, but absorbing experience faster. Last night teaching Arcana my overall pool went down from 12 to zero, and then blipped back on and off as the teaching cycled. So perhaps overall Flavius is learning Arcana just fine from teaching, but it feels like he is learning less than before. It doesn't feel like he is gaining much from Teaching.
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 10:44 AM CST
Appraisal is pretty much the only lore which I can lock and move on with my life without having to grind it continuously.

That's a major disadvantage, particularly in the new experience system, where I can go fill multiple large pools in combat in a matter of minutes and then not worry about them as they pulse down for the next half hour.

~ Purehand

After a long deliberation, the judge finally says, "Purehand, this court finds you innocent of the charges brought upon you."
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 10:57 AM CST
Combat has always had this advantage over lore. I was really hoping teaching would get updated to allow quicker locking. Especially since last year was the "year of lore". The thing is, no GM seems to have passion about lore skills. I think the assumption is, lore is easy to script so the exp rewards should be crappy.

Honestly, for me almost anything is easy to script. I avoid scripting lore because it takes forever and yields almost nothing.

But the problem of teaching exp gets worse and worse as your ranks get higher, because good luck finding a good student if you don't use a support account.
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 11:14 AM CST
<<But the problem of teaching exp gets worse and worse as your ranks get higher, because good luck finding a good student if you don't use a support account. >>

your telling me...

Teaching: 1313 31% engaged
Scholarship: 1251 53% dabbling

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 12:07 PM CST
Woah. That's Winterangel in prime?

~ Purehand

After a long deliberation, the judge finally says, "Purehand, this court finds you innocent of the charges brought upon you."
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 12:11 PM CST
>Woah. That's Winterangel in prime?

No, that's Sawbones in TF.
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 02:47 PM CST
1/34 is not a good enough benefit for the teacher.

Ignoring how hard it is to even learn teaching well in most circumstances, teaching a class currently does not do anything except train teaching.

Please please give us enough experience to at least hover at like 4/34 for as long as we teach. That would make it more worth it for me.

Rev. Reene

(Ventuul demonstrates a sneak attack to the face.)
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 03:25 PM CST
If either I had the tools to determine if teaching a student/observing a class was worth my time or that simply wasn't necessary, I wouldn't mind the piddly subject learning.

But absolutely everything is awful right now.

And I hate it when people ask me for scholarship classes. Why is that even an option?

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 04:14 PM CST
<<And I hate it when people ask me for scholarship classes. Why is that even an option?

Maybe because learning scholarship while listening to a class is pathetic, 1/34 is all I seem to get. It didn't used to be that way if I remember correctly. Wouldn't bother me so much if we got 4/34. (Not one that asks for scholarship classes btw).

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 04:29 PM CST
<<Maybe because learning scholarship while listening to a class is pathetic
Even when you are LISTEN OBSERVE?
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 04:33 PM CST
>>Even when you are LISTEN OBSERVE?

You don't seem to know how listen works:

Listen to X -> Most bits go X, then Scholarship, then Teaching.

Listen to X Obs -> Swap Teaching and X above. No change in Scholarship.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 04:37 PM CST
>>You don't seem to know how listen works:
Gotcha.
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 07:11 PM CST
Not quite sure why you're all asking for it to hover at like "4/34". The new exp system is simple... either it pulses clear every time (and thus hovers at 1 or maybe 2) or it will slowly build it's way to 34/34 (given enough time). There is no other point it can stabilize at.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 07:13 PM CST
I'm asking for it to give enough experience that we can get a full sized pulse.

Rev. Reene

Re: the problem with teaching 01/25/2010 09:47 PM CST
> I'm asking for it to give enough experience that we can get a full sized pulse.

I'll be looking at teaching experience again when I have time, but to be honest, I'd rather work on the "Part II" I promised when I released Teaching 2.0, since that will address a lot of the problems folks are having learning teaching in the first place.

As far as Scholarship goes, I need to run a couple of things past Solomon and Zeyurn first before tinkering too much with the experience there. As to experience in the subject being taught for the teacher, I may bump it up a little eventually, but frankly, that's something I added in the first place just as a minor perk for the teacher. I'm not sure I want to tinker with it more until the rest of Teaching is out. I am aiming long-term at a situation where being a good teacher will be enough of a benefit in and of itself.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: the problem with teaching 01/26/2010 06:06 AM CST
<<I am aiming long-term at a situation where being a good teacher will be enough of a benefit in and of itself.>>

My WM isn't particularly interested in being a "good teacher" for the sake of being a "good teacher". My WM teaches TM in combat because WMs are the only ones besides bards who Can teach it in combat. My WM is interested in being good at TM. :-) That and finding a blackfire scroll. ::cough::... don't tell the guards.

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
Re: the problem with teaching 01/26/2010 08:49 AM CST
>My WM teaches TM in combat because WMs are the only ones besides bards who Can teach it in combat.

WTB skill based perks.
Re: the problem with teaching 01/26/2010 09:50 AM CST
Why don't the only guilds with teaching perks have a teaching requirement?

Rev. Reene

Re: the problem with teaching 01/26/2010 03:58 PM CST
Maybe I've just been fortunate enough to keep finding the "sweet spot" student or what have you, but I often times lock teaching with 1 or 2 students and depending on the subject, keep it hovering at a decent rate as well (considering that it's just an added perk). Maybe I just lucked out and my friends happen to be the perfect students for me. But that would seem odd given the pretty extreme differences between them re: skills/stats/race/guild. This is with near 600 in teaching.

Now moving 640 ranks of scholarship is a whole other story. THAT is a pain.

- Terra
Re: the problem with teaching 01/26/2010 04:41 PM CST
I sat around teaching Asperity and a newb Moon Mage TM the other night for about an hour and never moved past 7/34.

You'd think Asperity would move me better than that, but nope.

Rev. Reene

Re: the problem with teaching 01/26/2010 04:53 PM CST
Thats weird because I can teach Malzard TM for that amount of time and not only have teaching mindlocked, but have TM moving at a nice pace as well.

Obviously there are other factors at play.

- Terra
Re: the problem with teaching 01/27/2010 05:30 AM CST
i was teaching TM with the WM and the wm never got tm above 1/34. the other character is not a WM, but is the same race as the WM. The other character also has TM about 15-20 ranks higher than the WM, and is magic secondary. they were locked just fine. the WM would like to learn better though.