Another thing I don't get about teaching 01/04/2010 09:44 PM CST
So I have 530 teaching, and I decide to drop some knowledge on a novice for a while. I figure his head will explode within a few minutes and then I can lecture to him about how to get favors.

This is what I got after an hour or so.

First Aid: 15 73% mind lock (34/34) I RULE
Scholarship: 17 80% thinking (5/34) Feeling a little impotent
Teaching: 9 58% dabbling (1/34) I'm not even sure the novice is quite in awe of me as he should be.

Seems like at least scholarship should be locked in this situation and his teaching should be moving. The guy has like 10 in his mentals.

~ Purehand

After a long deliberation, the judge finally says, "Purehand, this court finds you innocent of the charges brought upon you."
Re: Another thing I don't get about teaching 01/05/2010 12:08 AM CST
After an hour? That seems kind of insane.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Another thing I don't get about teaching 01/05/2010 06:50 AM CST
After three hours too.

~ Purehand

After a long deliberation, the judge finally says, "Purehand, this court finds you innocent of the charges brought upon you."
Re: Another thing I don't get about teaching 01/05/2010 10:29 AM CST
I just browsed through some posts from Dart about teaching, and this concept probably explains what you're seeing there:

<<High teaching skill can make a fairly major difference in how fast the students learn, if they have the scholarship to keep up with such advanced teaching techniques.>>

Basically, it seems like their Scholarship is too low to take advantage of your high Teaching, so they're only going to learn so well whether you've got 200 Teaching or 2000. I always learn more Scholarship from teaching than I do from listening (which, incidentally, is still not very much), so the fact that their Scholarship was putzing along even though they were learning the subject well may just be because the Scholarship experience from listening is low across the board.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Another thing I don't get about teaching 01/05/2010 10:36 AM CST
I think you are right Karthor, but I think that this really cheapens the value of higher Teaching skills. Part of what is frustrating about Teaching is that you not only have to have other characters in order to learn it, you have to find other characters of appropriate skill levels. Without both of those things neither the Teacher or the Student get very good results.
Re: Another thing I don't get about teaching 01/05/2010 10:43 AM CST
Part of being a good teacher is being able to teach to the level of your student(s).

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"I've always held Elanthia's ultimate end will shortly follow after either an "Oops." or a "Hey, that's neat." from within a Moon Mage guild." ~Z
Re: Another thing I don't get about teaching 01/05/2010 10:47 AM CST
<<Part of what is frustrating about Teaching is that you not only have to have other characters in order to learn it, you have to find other characters of appropriate skill levels.>>

Oh I agree completely. In fact I've been making that very statement pretty often lately...it's really a huge problem with the the skill. Students aren't like the system-generated resources used to train other skills...you can't reasonably just "go find something in your skill range".

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Another thing I don't get about teaching 01/05/2010 01:10 PM CST
<<you can't reasonably just "go find something in your skill range".

Maybe we should have Classrooms with NPC students in them that we could come Guest Lecture in. Different classrooms for different skill ranges

~Tieriana~
Re: Another thing I don't get about teaching 01/05/2010 01:15 PM CST
Teaching around the same skill levels works out great by the way. Here is what my situation is

teacher with 200 teaching, 175 scholarship

student with 210 teaching, 220 scholarship, the student can't learn evasion on what we are hunting(with 4 mobs it gets to 1/34) and uses a stance of parry 1% and half the time is using weapons that can't parry anyway.

I rotate between teaching evasion and parry, and switch the observe option based off how teaching is doing, since teaching is the most important skill for me. All three will stay either locked or 20+. Sometimes I'll switch to short bow, which the teacher has 40 ranks and the student 110 and shortbow will lock up before evasion or parry dip too low.
Re: Another thing I don't get about teaching 01/05/2010 03:47 PM CST
Great exactly how?

The results I get with the teacher havin 280 Teaching and student has about 200 teaching and 175 scholarship, the student will learn at a decent clip, though it still takes quite sometime to lock(half an hour maybe?). But the teacher is learning teaching much slower, and neither party is learning much scholarship.

Best results I have had so far is teaching teaching, which really, really irritates me.
Re: Another thing I don't get about teaching 01/05/2010 05:06 PM CST
My teacher is a ranger and they lock teaching/scholarship no problem at all.
Re: Another thing I don't get about teaching 01/05/2010 08:44 PM CST
I've been trying to figure out the best way to teach a single student (elf, 285 scholarship, 184 teaching, unknown charisma) to lock my own teaching (human, 431 scholarship, 345 teaching, 50 charisma + maximum power Vigil), and so far the best I've been able to manage is 0-34 in 35 minutes teaching him scholarship, making it by far the slowest skill I have. Even climbing and swimming only take me 10-12 minutes each.