Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 05:44 PM CST
At the very least, shouldn't observing a highly skilled teacher award a good amount of Teaching experience even if they're horribly underskilled in the subject of the lesson? It shouldn't matter if you already know everything about which they're teaching if you're just looking to pick up on their advanced teaching techniques anyway.

I'm seriously getting really sick of needing a specific, almost-impossible-to-stumble-across combination of student/teacher and subject to get past 1/34.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 05:45 PM CST
What mindstate is observing my class getting you to?

Rev. Reene

A servant stops you and says, "Necromancers are not allowed to go there."
Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 05:47 PM CST
1, sometimes 2.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 05:49 PM CST
This is highly distressing. I thought observing taught way better than that.

Also,

Scholarship: 617 65% learning (3/34)
Teaching: 613 14% interested (12/34)

That's after teaching for awhile. Maybe it's the racial thing.

Rev. Reene

Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 05:52 PM CST
Yeah, I was expecting to learn a great deal better than this. I've got 472 Scholarship and 429 Teaching, so even if I don't have enough Scholarship to get the most from your Teaching it should still be plenty to move my Teaching along just fine.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 05:56 PM CST
I should also mention that I was observing a Trader the other day teaching Perception...his skills are altogether unknown to me, but after about an hour to an hour and a half my Teaching was locked. This skill makes me want to rip hair out.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 06:00 PM CST
I started observing after reading this, since evasion was 34/34 anyway. It's only been a few minutes and I'm around 4/34. My skills are far lower, though.

Evasion: 151 44% mind lock (34/34)
Scholarship: 182 88% perusing (2/34)
Teaching: 136 47% thinking (5/34)

So, it looks like the gap has to be pretty ridiculous to gain much benefit from observing? Unscientifically, of course.

~Kattena
Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 06:05 PM CST
If I had to guess, I'd say that observing just takes the experience you would have gained from the class and swaps Teaching with the subject of the class. If the student is more highly skilled than the teacher, they wouldn't be gaining much experience in the subject of the class if they were just listening instead of observing. Consequently, this translates to pitiful Teaching experience for observing, which is obviously nonsensical in this particular case.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 06:11 PM CST
How do your stats compare?

I was thinking of proposing an experiment with Ryeka- But both of you are far more skilled in both scholarship and teaching than She is. Ryeka's stats are between 30 and 35 across the board.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 06:14 PM CST
>> If the student is more highly skilled than the teacher, they wouldn't be gaining much experience in the subject of the class if they were just listening instead of observing. Consequently, this translates to pitiful Teaching experience for observing, which is obviously nonsensical in this particular case.

There's a problem with your theory, though.

Given...not much time really, I can get someone with 900 more ranks in a skill (primary for them, secondary for me) than I have to high mindstates.

I have to wonder if it's a case of mismatched skillsets or something. Smegul and I have been doing some testing but we're not done yet.

Rev. Reene

Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 06:19 PM CST
<<Given...not much time really, I can get someone with 900 more ranks in a skill (primary for them, secondary for me) than I have to high mindstates.>>

Hm, so much for that, then. Maybe there's just a conspiracy to keep Teaching an incredibly unlearnable skill :P

(That was supposed to be a witty way of saying I have no clue why it would be this way, in case anyone was wondering.)

In other news, since I took over the teacher's role of the class in question I've gotten to 15/34 in about 20 minutes.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 06:20 PM CST
Learnable or not teaching still does nothing for the one doing the teaching.

I keep hoping this'll change. Maybe Dart'll untweak observe experience as well as experience in the skill being taught.

And fix TEACH OPEN to override demeanor.

Rev. Reene

Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 06:23 PM CST
>>And fix TEACH OPEN to override demeanor.

I'm pretty sure you know this already, but they set it to make demeanor override teach open on purpose... So if it changes, it wouldn't be 'fixing' it, just making it different.
Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 06:25 PM CST
<<And fix TEACH OPEN to override demeanor.

This please. I'm officially joining Reene's crusade to have this fixed. Its a royal pain. Seriously.

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 06:25 PM CST
>> I'm pretty sure you know this already, but they set it to make demeanor override teach open on purpose... So if it changes, it wouldn't be 'fixing' it, just making it different.

Changing a bad design decision counts as fixing in my book.

Rev. Reene

Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 06:27 PM CST
<<I'm pretty sure you know this already, but they set it to make demeanor override teach open on purpose... So if it changes, it wouldn't be 'fixing' it, just making it different.

/sigh

Yes, if you are reserved or cold your classes start out as closed. That is working as intended and not what needs changing.

The bug (yes there is a bug people!) is that using TEACH OPEN will not let you manually change your class to open. It messages to the teacher that the class is open, but to any potential students the class is still closed.

-Evran

Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 06:31 PM CST
>>Yes, if you are reserved or cold your classes start out as closed. That is working as intended and not what needs changing.

>>The bug (yes there is a bug people!) is that using TEACH OPEN will not let you manually change your class to open. It messages to the teacher that the class is open, but to any potential students the class is still closed.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=5&topic=18&message=433

Sigh all you want, but I'm inclined to disagree with you on that it is a bug.
Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 06:40 PM CST
<<Sigh all you want, but I'm inclined to disagree with you on that it is a bug.

The problem with that theory is that the messaging doesn't indicate that at all. The messaging should match the designed function, yes? Right now a class appears as OPEN, but messages as CLOSED when trying to join with zero indication why. In fact, when you use TEACH OPEN while in the reserved/cold state, it tells you your class is now open to everyone. Clearly it is not.

If its not the function thats buggy, then its the messaging. Either fix the messaging or the fuction, whichever the GMs decide to consider the worst offender. My vote is for the function. Right now its a mashed together piece of bugginess.

-Evran

Re: Learning By Observation 01/01/2010 07:01 PM CST
Based on learning teaching with my little cleric... It seems if I teach anything (Doesn't really matter what) I'll learn teaching about 50% faster then observing.

Not a careful test by any means, but like... observing a random TM class at the WM guild until the teacher leaves and taking over I definitely learn teaching faster even with one (presumably) low level student.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Learning By Observation 01/02/2010 01:30 AM CST
> >> I'm pretty sure you know this already, but they set it to make demeanor override teach open on purpose... So if it changes, it wouldn't be 'fixing' it, just making it different.

> Changing a bad design decision counts as fixing in my book.

See, here's the thing. The demeanor thing was put in by the request of multiple players. Now I have multiple players wanting it out. It boils down to a no-win scenario -- I leave it, some people will be upset. I remove it, some people will be upset, since it was requested by players in the first place.

At some point I'll see if I can get some backend stuff added by onsite that'll let me meet in the middle, but in the grand scheme of things there are far far bigger fish to be frying right now.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Learning By Observation 01/02/2010 06:40 AM CST
>>but in the grand scheme of things there are far far bigger fish to be frying right now.

Whoo!

Karthor, have you tried learning while a Bard is singing Faenella's Grace? It helps with learning a bit, if you want to find me in game I'll cap a Grace and you can observe one of my classes (approx 600 teachimg 650 scholar, 60 CHA) and see how that works for you.

- Terra
Re: Learning By Observation 01/02/2010 06:42 AM CST
> Now I have multiple players wanting it out. It boils down to a no-win scenario -- I leave it, some people will be upset. I remove it, some people will be upset, since it was requested by players in the first place.

How is defaulting to closed (for reserved/cold demeanor) but having the option to set it open not meeting in the middle? That's all we really want. The messaging tries to tell you that is what's happening, but that is not what actually occurs.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Learning By Observation 01/02/2010 06:51 AM CST
<<Karthor, have you tried learning while a Bard is singing Faenella's Grace? It helps with learning a bit, if you want to find me in game I'll cap a Grace and you can observe one of my classes (approx 600 teachimg 650 scholar, 60 CHA) and see how that works for you.>>

That Arcana class of yours that I was observing at the temple orb charging seemed to be working somewhat reasonably, but I think that was probably without Grace though, eh? I usually don't notice a difference with it going, but maybe I just have wretched luck and always encounter low-power ones.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Learning By Observation 01/02/2010 06:56 AM CST
Hmm, yeah I had Naga's Blessing going at the Temple Charging. Let's try it out IG, a lot of people don't play Grace at higher mana so you don't notice the difference much. But a capped grace actually decreases the pulse time, rherefore increasing learning.

- Terra
Re: Learning By Observation 01/02/2010 07:16 AM CST
Yeah, Terra seriously locks Alexii up frequently. In a very short amount of time. Only 250 in scholar/teaching, but never was much of a teacher/student.

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"
Re: Learning By Observation 01/02/2010 07:21 AM CST
Alexii isn't lore prime, though.

I can say quite honestly that locking as a lore secondary is beyond easy.

Rev. Reene

Re: Learning By Observation 01/02/2010 07:31 AM CST
True.

I should have been a little clearer, what I meant to say is that with FG up it takes the short amount of time. Minutes at best.

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"