Debilitation training just got worse!? 04/04/2015 07:54 PM CDT

3) Thieves can now only teach & learn from other Thieves for the following skills: Inner Magic, Augmentation, Debilitation and Utility.

Ok so i dug through a ton of threads and i have seen many people complain about how ridiculously difficult it is to train in Debilitation. Especially at the lower circles 1 thru 40th. I mean am i the only circle 40under that gets excited when my debilitation hits Pursuing? Yes i know i have to hunt creatures of my skill level (not my deb level) this is what i am doing. That being said, my best option (and im sure others as well) was to find teaching classes from non guild members. But now we cannot do this anymore. Now we are stuck having to find a fellow thief to teach us debilitation? This is crazy, its not like i can ask people all over crossing "hey are you a thief? can you teach me debilitation if you are?" Not many thieves want to admit their class. And i am not going to sign language to every single person i come across until someone responds back. And then we actually have to hope the thief will actually not only say yes but then just sit there for us? Also if "assess teach" by NON guildees shows that person A is teaching debilitation and obviously there's a person or 2 listening. That non guildee wants debilitation and then realizes he/she cannot get past CLEAR. Doesn't that give away that we are basically non magic class (and a high probability of being a thieves) Not everyone wants to give away they are a thief. I enjoy using my Warrior Mage titles with my Warrior Mage gear. Its going to be obvious i am not a warrior mage if i am receiving or teaching a debilitation class in front of the Empath guild or other populated areas. Especially because Empaths and others love that class. Debilitation learning was horrid now its a nightmare... sigh
Re: Debilitation training just got worse!? 04/04/2015 07:59 PM CDT
If I'm reading that wall of text correctly...

We need to revisit Debilitation learning for low level thieves. That's entirely plausible. (I haven't been involved in Thief development directly to any significant degree so I can't really speak to it off the cuff).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Debilitation training just got worse!? 04/04/2015 08:07 PM CDT
A, line breaks
B, What?
C, use your ambushes whenever you're concentration is over 50% and debil flies on a small thief. Yes, I speak from experience, mine is a bit beyond the 1-40 range, with debil on level, without EVER sitting in any classes for anything.

Samsaren
Re: Debilitation training just got worse!? 04/04/2015 08:07 PM CDT

Sorry for the "wall of text" tough to ask questions and rant in 3 sentences.

How about the assess teaching issue? Is that going to allow others to realize we are either barbs or thieves if they cannot learn from our classes in public? (If we are lucky enough that a thief is actually sitting down willing to teach it?)
Re: Debilitation training just got worse!? 04/04/2015 08:11 PM CDT
IMO just close your class and make it invitation only if you're concerned about that.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Debilitation training just got worse!? 04/04/2015 08:12 PM CDT
>>Mikedarican: How about the assess teaching issue? Is that going to allow others to realize we are either barbs or thieves if they cannot learn from our classes in public? (If we are lucky enough that a thief is actually sitting down willing to teach it?)

If you don't want your guild to be known, don't teach guild-only skills in public.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Debilitation training just got worse!? 04/04/2015 08:13 PM CDT
See? This is what happens when you have a discussion in multiple place. The discussion gets fragmented. Please see the main thread found here:

Lore --> Teaching Skill.

In it you'll see we've reached a compromise that addressed your concern.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Debilitation training just got worse!? 04/04/2015 08:21 PM CDT

Sorry i thought this was the Responses to GM Official Announcements. Ok will go to Lore area now. Thanks for the fast responses. Yes Isharon i understand what you mean. First we have to find a thief that admits he/she is a thief. Then pray they are willing to sit and teach instead of doing their own thing. Then I have to ask the thief to possibly head to a unpopulated area. Then i have to hope they stay longer than 15minutes. Then when they walk away i have to do all of that again to find a class... wow sounds wonderful.
Re: Debilitation training just got worse!? 04/04/2015 10:23 PM CDT
>C, use your ambushes whenever you're concentration is over 50% and debil flies on a small thief. Yes, I speak from experience, mine is a bit beyond the 1-40 range, with debil on level, without EVER sitting in any classes for anything.

I've never been able to get choke to train anything, and have never heard anyone else report it's not an abysmal anal polyp of effort. 1 ambush per critter, 1 mindstate per 1-3 critters, 10+ seconds of pure per ambush. No refresh. Diminishing returns. Literally every single penalty they removed from debilitation trainers in the 3.1 conversion applies to choke.

It was bad enough that I flat out said I wouldn't bother training debilitation till I hit 25 or 40 and could get a not utterly worthless move.

That's not 'flying'. That's piss poor training. Especially compared to, say, a magic tert Paladin going 'prep stun foe, wait 1-5 seconds, cast' where 'wait' can be 'I smack him in the face with my sword!' or other actions.