Prev_page Previous 1
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 08:33 AM CDT

>>2) Barbarians can now only teach & listen to other Barbarians for the following skills: Inner Fire, Augmentation, Debilitation and Warding.

I'm curious here. Why? I understand the abilities function differently for different guilds, but sometimes realism or reason is sacrificed in exchange for playability. This, in my opinion, is excessive and completely unnecessary.

And, to clarify, this is coming from someone that has maybe listened to a couple debilitation/warding classes in the last near 150 circles. It is not a method I utilize for learning, but forcibly taking this option away seems a bit much.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 11:36 AM CDT
Skinning is a pretty combat-related-thing. Could skinning maybe be allowed in combat?

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 11:48 AM CDT
Skinning was allowed in combat before yesterday--did this change?

Someone on the gweths was talking about how bards can no longer teach everything in combat. I don't have a bard to test with, but it might need to be looked into.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 12:21 PM CDT

Bards are indeed not able to teach every skill in combat anymore. Was this a bug that was corrected or introduced? Any chance we can get confirmation that this change was intended?

Thanks.

wave squi at solomon
That would be a bad idea!
Solomon grins at you.
You quietly say to Solomon, "I wanted to be famous..the one who dared to hit Solomon with his floppy squid.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 12:35 PM CDT
> Was this a bug that was corrected or introduced?

Neither. Just a chance in abilities.

> Any chance we can get confirmation that this change was intended?

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Bards/Bugs%20-%20Bards/view/1329
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 12:36 PM CDT
> Neither. Just a chance in abilities.

Change.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 12:51 PM CDT

> Skinning was allowed in combat before yesterday--did this change?

Can bards and other lore primes still teach anything in combat, or is it now restricted to the same skills as the rest?
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 01:06 PM CDT
>>1. Thieves (maybe through a confidence khri) should be able to listen to any class, but they just don't learn anything more than scholarship from the class. This helps protect identities.

Agree

>>2. Thieves of a pretend guild can (poorly) teach the skills associated with that pretend guild substituting a portion of their scholarship for the skill in question.

Disagree. Listening should be enough to protect your identities. From an RP perspective, playing the dumb student is easy, teaching people in the know is something else entirely.

>>2. Thieves should be able to safely teach thievery to other thieves if the teacher and student are in hiding.

Also agree on the basis of "why not that sound's cool". I'd like to see the classes get a perception check, and pointing mechanics incorporate justice so if you're caught teaching thievery you and your student get a charge.

- Not a thief.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 01:33 PM CDT

Also not a thief, but it looks like at least part of this was already accounted for.

> 1. Thieves (maybe through a confidence khri) should be able to listen to any class, but they just don't learn anything more than scholarship from the class. This helps protect identities.

Thieves can apparently "listen" to any class they can't "learn" from.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 02:05 PM CDT
>>2) Barbarians can now only teach & listen to other Barbarians for the following skills: Inner Fire, Augmentation, Debilitation and Warding.

>>3) Thieves can now only teach & learn from other Thieves for the following skills: Inner Magic, Augmentation, Debilitation and Utility.

>>4) Barbarians, Thieves and Commoners cannot teach or listen to magic skills they cannot utilize.

So, couple things. I feel like saying "Barbarians, Thieves and" wasn't necessary to say in point 4, because points 2 and 3 basically say that Barbs and Thieves can only listen to magic classes from other Barbs and Thieves, which thereby means that those classes would be in skills that Barbs and Thieves can utilize. I'm only pointing this out because the redundancy makes me wonder if one or more of the three points were worded improperly, and needs clarification.

Second though, and this has been said already, I really wonder at the reasoning behind this. I get that the way that a Thief uses Debilitation is different from the way a Bard uses Debilitation, but is it really so different that some of the lessons the Bard knows can't be used, at all, by the Thief? And, is the difference between Thief and Bard Debilitation definitely greater than the difference between Moon Mage Lunar Magic and Ranger Life Magic? Because, if a Lunar user can teach magic to a Life user, that means that the source of the power must not really matter, since the lessons cross over. It would follow then that the source of Debilitation shouldn't matter either.

At the very least, I think that Barbs and Thieves should be able to teach each other Inner Fire/Magic, Augmentation, and Debilitation, since the sources of their powers must certainly be as closely (if not more so) related as Lunar Magic is to Life Magic.

I
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 02:14 PM CDT
>>but is it really so different that some of the lessons the Bard knows can't be used

Reading over what I wrote gave me an idea that might be a workable compromise between the GMs who want this and the players who don't...

How's about you open listening back up (excepting of course skills that the class can't use) but people learn at a decreased rate?

Ex;
> Thiefypants listens to Magicdude teach "Holy Magic."
> Thiefypants only ends up getting about 0.5 times the normal experience from listening to this class.
> Thiefypants instead listens to Muscles McGee teach "Inner Fire."
> Thiefypants instead gets 0.75 times the normal experience.
> Thiefypants finally finds Sneakerdoodle, who is teaching "Inner Magic."
> Thiefypants gets full experience from this class, because it's totally compatable.

This idea could further be applied, if desired, to teaching the various Magic skills. Cleric listening to Lunar gets 0.5, but gets 0.75 from Life (or whatever; I'm not up to date on mana spectrum theory). The closer the "source" of the teacher's skill is to yours, the more experience you get from the class.

I
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 02:24 PM CDT
>> I'm only pointing this out because the redundancy makes me wonder if one or more of the three points were worded improperly, and needs clarification.

Everything is worded correctly for how the system works.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:10 PM CDT
Alright let's start at the top.

>>Right and I came back to DR after over a decade. Not sure what that ship has sailed is supposed to mean.

What I mean is that the discussion about if thieves will be able to use runestones moving forward was a debate that was held over a decade ago, and in that time the horse has been beaten so many times the equine cemetery has stopped allowing visitors.

>>Skinning is a pretty combat-related-thing. Could skinning maybe be allowed in combat?

Skinning was actually one of the top examples of a skill that makes no sense to be teachable in combat. Just think about it a moment.

>>Someone on the gweths was talking about how bards can no longer teach everything in combat.

This is not a bug and it was covered in my initial post. Bards are a subset of everyone. I was asked to even out the teaching perk to all lore primaries instead of benefiting just Bards.

>>I was pretty upset with the 3.0 changes with Magic for Thieves. The changes made it impossible to learn TM, MD, and Sorcery, which limits the number of skills to learn and generate TDPs for these non-magic using guilds.

This were never an effective source of TDPs. Even if you manged to grind out 100 ranks in TM, ranks that did nothing for you and were certainly not learned in an efficient way, that;s all of 25 TDPs. That same time invested in almost any other skill that you have a at a reasonable rank is going to return far more TDPs.

>>Thieves (maybe through a confidence khri) should be able to listen to any class, but they just don't learn anything more than scholarship from the class. This helps protect identities.

/sigh. You try not to give away all the secrets to the masses...

>>Thieves of a pretend guild can (poorly) teach the skills associated with that pretend guild substituting a portion of their scholarship for the skill in question.

There is zero chance of this happening. You cannot create knowledge from nothing.

>>Thieves should be able to safely teach thievery to other thieves if the teacher and student are in hiding.

Hmm. Yeah, I can see that.

---

So. Why did these changes happen? (And yes, we had very much the same debate going on in this thread internally).

Teaching in combat - I touched on this in another thread, but combat remains by far the most efficient way to learn many skills at once. Learning even more skills while in combat is the reverse of what we want to be encouraging. As for the specific skills, that was just a lore consistency thing. How well can you really teach someone about advanced mathematics while fighting for your life?

Thieves/Barbarians - Learning the skills they aren't suppose to learn was a bug. It should have been blocked from day one, and it wasn't. So why isolate them to learning from their own guilds? Because of lore consistency. Do I wish we had a better balance of non-magic user guilds and magic user guilds so it didn't feel like we were isolating these two so much? Yeah. I do.

Removing unused ranks - Again, this was a bug fix. And it's not just cosmetic - systems are being written with certain assumptions in mind and the concern here is those ranks do not match those assumptions. Were they breaking any systems? I don't know.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:19 PM CDT
>Skinning was actually one of the top examples of a skill that makes no sense to be teachable in combat. Just think about it a moment.

If we're going down that route, skinning in DR needs to take 80s of RT to simulate the process, require specific skinning knives, multiple kneeling steps or a hanging setup (additional RT), and not be combat possible.

The point is, DR is already using 'magic' unreasonable skinning. So saying 'it doesn't make sense to teach in combat' doesn't work by the games internal logic.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:26 PM CDT
>>Learning even more skills while in combat is the reverse of what we want to be encouraging.

I disagree. Combat has the inherent risk of death. Plus the added chaos of 2 hunters in a room. Personally, the only time I ever die is when I've got someone distracting me/adding to the scroll.

Removing a benefit for multiple hunters to go out on a trip together for the sake of removing the ability to learn an extra 2 skills does not seem worth the necessity or removal under your argument(debate argument, not drama argument).

Which is more important, waving a hand for the benefit of people working together or encouraging the gain of fewer skills at one time?

If we're going with the realism debate about teaching in combat, remove the ability to learn or teach while doing anything else that gains experience actively, and boost the amount learned per teaching pulse by a very significant amount to compensate. Like 5 mind states per pulse.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:26 PM CDT
>>skinning in DR needs to take 80s of RT to simulate the process, require specific skinning knives, multiple kneeling steps or a hanging setup (additional RT), and not be combat possible.

Playability vs realism. Hyperbole's fun, but thats just being silly.

Samsaren
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:29 PM CDT

More like 10 seconds. Elanthia time is 4x perfect skinning skill means you're going to be quick, so skin a goblin in half a minute sounds about right.

Oh, but don't forget to add time based on size and/or hide toughness.

/lol

RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 03:32 PM CDT
>Playability vs realism. Hyperbole's fun, but thats just being silly.

That was rather the point. It's a bad comparison to say 'it doesn't make sense to teach in combat' because the actual process is complex and requires a lot of stuff you couldn't possibly do in combat, but turn around and say 'but ya, we'll let you simulate that with a 1 second RT and a belt knife'.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:01 PM CDT

>>Right and I came back to DR after over a decade. Not sure what that ship has sailed is supposed to mean.

What I mean is that the discussion about if thieves will be able to use runestones moving forward was a debate that was held over a decade ago, and in that time the horse has been beaten so many times the equine cemetery has stopped allowing visitors.

I'm not asking to be able to use runes, I am stating that ranks I have were from actual use not some bug.

>>Skinning was actually one of the top examples of a skill that makes no sense to be teachable in combat. Just think about it a moment.

I have thought about this and wouldn't the perfect time to teach skinning be actually to show someone how to skin something you just killed? Practice and instruction at the time of actually doing it instead of some abstract lesson some time in the future makes more sense to me.

>>This were never an effective source of TDPs. Even if you manged to grind out 100 ranks in TM, ranks that did nothing for you and were certainly not learned in an efficient way, that;s all of 25 TDPs. That same time invested in almost any other skill that you have a at a reasonable rank is going to return far more TDPs.

It's not all about effective ways to gain TDPs. This is, at least I thought, a roleplaying game. Titles are tied to ranks. There are guild specific titles and general titles where you need ranks in magic skills to get the titles. Quite a few thieves chose to spend time to gain these titles for rp reasons and now poof they are gone. Besides the point of efficiency people DID spend time to learn a skill and even if it is "only" 25 TDPs it was time already spent not gaining those TDPs another way and you're just wiping them away. That's not really fair at all.

>Thieves/Barbarians - Learning the skills they aren't suppose to learn was a bug. It should have been blocked from day one, and it wasn't. So why isolate them to learning from their own guilds? Because of lore consistency. Do I wish we had a better balance of non-magic user guilds and magic user guilds so it didn't feel like we were isolating these two so much? Yeah. I do.

Can you explain the lore consistency? Trying to use different magic/mana other than your own can blow your hands off but it's logical that thwey can cross teach the separate skills to each other but Barbs and Thieves can't even teach each other when both can learn Debilitation through intimidation which seems inherently more similar than cross mana theories. Secondly, with the lore changes Barbs won't even teach each other that well since they are lore tertiary. And as long as you wish it could be different that you are isolating two guilds it's okay you don't have to worry about that pesky balance. Nice.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:16 PM CDT
>>Ashbomb: Which is more important, waving a hand for the benefit of people working together or encouraging the gain of fewer skills at one time?

I think that would be better addressed by developing better group hunting mechanics rather than allowing people to learn non-combat skills during combat.

>>Geelenj: Secondly, with the lore changes Barbs won't even teach each other that well since they are lore tertiary.

Only while teaching during combat.

>>1) Teaching in Combat has been overhauled. Anyone can now teach the following skills in combat: All weapon skills, all armor skills, targetted magic, debilitation, warding, evasion, and tactics. In addition Barbarians, Paladins and Thieves can teach their respective guild skills in combat. The rate of learning will depend on the lore skill set placement of the teacher (ie: Empaths/Traders/Bards can teach in combat far better than Barbarians and Rangers).

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:23 PM CDT
>>The rate of learning will depend on the lore skill set placement of the teacher (ie: Empaths/Traders/Bards can teach in combat far better than Barbarians and Rangers).

What happened to the "a rank is a rank is a rank" dogma?
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:30 PM CDT
This is in combat only.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:30 PM CDT

With the change to allow thievery to be taught/listened from hiding, mean that being pointed out of hiding and pulsing brings criminal charges? Hehehehehe.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:33 PM CDT
>>With the change to allow thievery to be taught/listened from hiding, mean that being pointed out of hiding and pulsing brings criminal charges? Hehehehehe.

That's not a Hehehehehe that's a Muwahahahahaha.

-Raesh

RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:38 PM CDT
>>Muleherd: What happened to the "a rank is a rank is a rank" dogma?

"This is not unique. Magic primes recover mana faster than magic terts. Armor primes can arm-wear larger shields than armor terts. Lore primes can pick up more careers/hobbies than lore terts." --GM Raesh (04/04/2015)

"A Paladin/Ranger/(Trader)'s Attunement is worth less than a Cleric/Moon Mage/Warrior Mage's Attunement. It literally does less per point based on skillset, and it has for a long time." --GM Armifer (04/04/2015)

Other examples of skillset-based perks: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Skillsets#Skillset%20Placement%20Perks

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:39 PM CDT
>>This is in combat only.<<

So is, "...a rank is a rank is a rank, except when in combat, and then a rank is a rank, or less than a rank, circumstances depending" the new dogma?

That could be interesting, if consistently applied.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:44 PM CDT
>>"This is not unique. Magic primes recover mana faster than magic terts. Armor primes can arm-wear larger shields than armor terts. Lore primes can pick up more careers/hobbies than lore terts." --GM Raesh (04/04/2015)

"A Paladin/Ranger/(Trader)'s Attunement is worth less than a Cleric/Moon Mage/Warrior Mage's Attunement. It literally does less per point based on skillset, and it has for a long time." --GM Armifer (04/04/2015)<<

You understand how that's only further illustrative of the problem, yes?

Some changes are rationalized as because dem rules say, "A rank is a rank! So we just made this consistent with the rules..."

Other changes use the handwavy rationale of, "Well.. there are other exceptions to the rule..."

There's no overarching design methodology being consistently adhered to. Arbitrary changes are explained away with whichever arbitrary excuse du jour is needed.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 04:52 PM CDT
>>Muleherd: You understand how that's only further illustrative of the problem, yes?

I do not see it as a problem. I know I'm in the minority, but I like systems that discriminate based on skillset placement. It contributes to guild identity.

RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 05:24 PM CDT
>>Some changes are rationalized as because dem rules say, "A rank is a rank! So we just made this consistent with the rules..."

When was the last time we gave that as an explanation?

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 05:30 PM CDT
Actually, its a 'Unnhhhhhggghhh' from the GMs when people start killing others for it and add to the report que so i guess, sure..'muahahahaha!'

Might wanna update pvp stance to set people to open for pointing thievery classes out ;P

Seriously tho- thanks for adding in the ability to actually teach it in combat/or hiding
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 05:39 PM CDT

Only while teaching during combat.

>>1) Teaching in Combat has been overhauled. Anyone can now teach the following skills in combat: All weapon skills, all armor skills, targetted magic, debilitation, warding, evasion, and tactics. In addition Barbarians, Paladins and Thieves can teach their respective guild skills in combat. The rate of learning will depend on the lore skill set placement of the teacher (ie: Empaths/Traders/Bards can teach in combat far better than Barbarians and Rangers).

Still doesn't make much sense that an Empath, who is armor and weapons tert can teach armor and weapons IN COMBAT better than a Barb/Pali could who are experts at weapons/armor and their uses. This whole "bug fix" was poorly planned and ill thought out.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 05:45 PM CDT
>>Still doesn't make much sense that an Empath, who is armor and weapons tert can teach armor and weapons IN COMBAT better than a Barb/Pali could who are experts at weapons/armor and their uses.

Why?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 05:56 PM CDT
>Still doesn't make much sense that an Empath, who is armor and weapons tert can teach armor and weapons IN COMBAT better than a Barb/Pali could who are experts at weapons/armor and their uses. This whole "bug fix" was poorly planned and ill thought out.

Sure it makes total sense. Forget about the subject being taught and think instead about the teacher who is doing the instructing. Lore primaries should be better at this because Lore is "thier thing"

Who would you rather learn welding from, a welder who teaches or a teacher who welds?

Your time for being forced PvP OPEN has ended. You have been set back to DON'T MUCK WITH ME UNLESS YOU TELL ME FIRST! and will not be able to change it for 24 hours.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 05:57 PM CDT

The barb pally, while being vastly superior using those weapons and armor, may not have the natural aptitude to teach others. You never had a class with a professor that was a genius in his field but was god awful at explaining it at a 100 level?
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 05:59 PM CDT
>>Still doesn't make much sense that an Empath, who is armor and weapons tert can teach armor and weapons IN COMBAT better than a Barb/Pali could who are experts at weapons/armor and their uses.

Teaching, like Crafting, is not about how well you can swing the sword, but how well you can show someone else how to swing that sword the same you you do. There are plenty of experts in fields that couldn't teach the basics to someone without a good grasp of what they are doing to begin with, and there are other people who are not so good in a field, but can teach talented people to be better than them in that same field.

In short, teaching someone to kill/defend is not the same as killing/defending for yourself.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 06:04 PM CDT

>>Skinning was actually one of the top examples of a skill that makes no sense to be teachable in combat. Just think about it a moment.

I have thought about this and wouldn't the perfect time to teach skinning be actually to show someone how to skin something you just killed? Practice and instruction at the time of actually doing it instead of some abstract lesson some time in the future makes more sense to me.

^^^^
I agree, I feel like combat is exactly where you would teach someone how to skin something. We don't haul off the carcass and skin it while out of combat, we do it while we are in combat.
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 06:07 PM CDT
<<I have thought about this and wouldn't the perfect time to teach skinning be actually to show someone how to skin something you just killed? Practice and instruction at the time of actually doing it instead of some abstract lesson some time in the future makes more sense to me.

Except that the next eight fire-breathing dragons aren't patiently waiting on the sidelines for you to finish your lesson before they attempt to clean you and your student's bones of their fresh meat.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 06:16 PM CDT
>Why?<

>You never had a class with a professor that was a genius in his field but was god awful at explaining it at a 100 level?<

I would like to see the skill placement of the skill being taught also affect the teaching rate. In my mind a Paladin who is lore secondary and armor primary should teach armor better than an Empath who is lore primary and armor tertiary. I don't care how eloquent you are as a teacher, if the topic isn't your thing and you aren't well-versed in it, you are going to do a terrible job at it. Have you never have a professor who is charismatic and eloquent in regard to their canned lecture, but doesn't know their topic well-enough to respond to questions? They can still teach their stuff great, but cannot go beyond it.

--Just a Squire
RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 06:22 PM CDT
>>Lennonjon: I would like to see the skill placement of the skill being taught also affect the teaching rate. In my mind a Paladin who is lore secondary and armor primary should teach armor better than an Empath who is lore primary and armor tertiary. I don't care how eloquent you are as a teacher, if the topic isn't your thing and you aren't well-versed in it, you are going to do a terrible job at it.

This is already somewhat true in that teachers who have more ranks in the subject being taught are less effective than teachers who have fewer ranks, and your primary skillset placement means that you are likely to have more ranks than secondary or tertiary characters (for the same amount of time spent).

RE: Teaching Updates 04/04/2015 06:25 PM CDT
Has anyone actually tested this yet or asked how large the difference is?

I.e. is account cancellation being threatened over a 10%, 50%, or 80% difference in teaching rate over the tiers?

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Prev_page Previous 1