Teaching UrMagic 03/01/2013 07:29 PM CST
When you teach, you gain a trickle of the skill you're teaching, presumably because your students are relating their understanding to your teachings and you can gain some insights from that. If you're teaching Primary to someone with a different mana type, could it teach Sorcery instead of Primary?

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Teaching UrMagic 03/01/2013 07:46 PM CST
>>If you're teaching Primary to someone with a different mana type, could it teach Sorcery instead of Primary?

But you aren't teaching Sorcery and it's within your mana type since you are the one teaching. I don't understand why it would teach Sorcery outside of you just wanting some free Sorcery.
Re: Teaching UrMagic 03/01/2013 09:07 PM CST
>I don't understand why it would teach Sorcery outside of you just wanting some free Sorcery.

I don't really care, as I don't plan to use Sorcery. It makes sense conceptually, because you learn a little bit as you discuss things with your class. Your class explaining how they convert your knowledge of mana use to their mana type might spark some insight in you. Maybe I'm the only one who sees teaching as more than a person lecturing, and imagine a discussion led by the instructor.

"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Teaching UrMagic 03/01/2013 09:17 PM CST
<<Maybe I'm the only one who sees teaching as more than a person lecturing, and imagine a discussion led by the instructor.>>

The mechanics of learning from teaching, I feel, come from the fact that, as a person teaching something, you must first break it down and examine what you are to be discussing. This requires quite a bit of contemplation on your part about the subject you are teaching. It isn't so much as feed back from the class as you looking at the class subject from various perspectives that gives the teacher a bit more insight into the subject.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Teaching UrMagic 03/01/2013 11:31 PM CST
>>I don't really care, as I don't plan to use Sorcery. It makes sense conceptually, because you learn a little bit as you discuss things with your class. Your class explaining how they convert your knowledge of mana use to their mana type might spark some insight in you. Maybe I'm the only one who sees teaching as more than a person lecturing, and imagine a discussion led by the instructor.

You're really stretching it here with the lore, IMO. The messaging only indicates a lecture-style system, not an open-ended philosophical discussion. the same argument could be made for large blunt lessons to teach a trickle of offhand instead, or melee mastery, or some such.
Re: Teaching UrMagic 03/02/2013 07:30 PM CST
>>Maybe I'm the only one who sees teaching as more than a person lecturing, and imagine a discussion led by the instructor.

I do see teaching this way, but still don't think the teacher should learn sorcery. Say you teach me holy magic. You are lecturing about holy magic, I am listening to information about holy magic, and asking you questions about holy magic, which in turn teaches you some new aspects of holy magic that you didn't think of before. Both of us are learning about to better perform Holy Magic - the only difference is that to you, holy magic = holy magic, and to me, holy magic = sorcery.

Apu
_
Respect. Integrity. World Domination.
https://sites.google.com/site/apucorpdr/
Re: Teaching UrMagic 03/05/2013 03:07 PM CST
>>Maybe I'm the only one who sees teaching as more than a person lecturing, and imagine a discussion led by the instructor.

In-game messaging implies it's a lot closer to the former than the latter.

It's like teaching a class in your primary language, and that language is Spanish. The fact that you're teaching someone whose primary language is Japanese isn't going to do much for your Japanese, because you're not practicing Japanese. You're practicing Spanish.

Meanwhile, that person isn't going to get better at their primary language, they're going to get better at whatever makes a good general ur-Language in this example. Esperanto maybe? Whatever.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Teaching UrMagic 03/05/2013 08:15 PM CST
>In-game messaging implies it's a lot closer to the former than the latter.

I see the point, but still disagree. For this reason:

>The fact that you're teaching someone whose primary language is Japanese isn't going to do much for your Japanese
>that person isn't going to get better at their primary language

If you're teaching someone Spanish, you probably aren't doing it in Spanish. You have to relate Spanish to Japanese for them first. Which requires an understanding of Japanese on your part. I learned more about English grammar in French class than in any English class, ever.

Regardless, this suggestion seems to be extremely disliked and I really don't care that much, so I'll drop it.

Re: Teaching UrMagic 03/07/2013 12:41 PM CST
>>If you're teaching someone Spanish, you probably aren't doing it in Spanish. You have to relate Spanish to Japanese for them first. Which requires an understanding of Japanese on your part. I learned more about English grammar in French class than in any English class, ever.

It matters how you're being taught. Full immersion classes are awful. :(

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Teaching UrMagic 03/07/2013 07:26 PM CST
>Full immersion classes are awful.

Exactly my point. If you're teaching a Japanese speaker Spanish, it will go a lot better if you understand Japanese. You're Japanese will probably improve while teaching them Spanish. If you replace Spanish with Life Magic and Japanese with Holy Magic... If you're teaching a Holy Magic user Life Magic, it will go a lot better if you understand Holy Magic. You're Holy Magic will probably improve while teaching them Life Magic.

Re: Teaching UrMagic 03/08/2013 12:40 AM CST
>>Exactly my point. If you're teaching a Japanese speaker Spanish, it will go a lot better if you understand Japanese. You're Japanese will probably improve while teaching them Spanish. If you replace Spanish with Life Magic and Japanese with Holy Magic... If you're teaching a Holy Magic user Life Magic, it will go a lot better if you understand Holy Magic. You're Holy Magic will probably improve while teaching them Life Magic.

If this is done, I want teaching one weapon to train offhand and the mastery skill of that weapon, or teaching armor to train defending, etc.
Re: Teaching UrMagic 03/08/2013 02:11 AM CST
>>Exactly my point.

While you're right that there are better ways to teach languages, that doesn't mean that's how magic can be/is taught.

In the case of magic, a War Mage literally can't speak Moon Mage. They definitively lack the capability to do so. The best they can do is magic-Esperanto (sorcery), and that's illegal to do in town.

The only people who can kinda-sorta speak all magic types are Necromancers, and they're bonkers because of it. Everyone else is just kinda parroting words hoping that they're not making fun of someone's mother.