Observe 07/16/2012 09:04 AM CDT

This is a very specific example so I'm not suggesting it's a wide spread issue, but I am curious about it. I have a human paladin teaching an Elven Ranger and another Human paladin. Ranger is listening, paladin is observing.

Teacher's skills/stats:
Scholarship - 742
Teaching - 707

Charisma : 60
Discipline : 60 Wisdom : 65
Intelligence : 65

Paladin observer:
Scholarship - 640
Teaching - 586

Charisma : 51
Discipline : 70 Wisdom : 56
Intelligence : 53

The observing student's teaching skill isn't getting over 1/34. Scholarship isn't going up either (already had some exp in it but it's draining.)

This feels broken? Or am I missing something. Just seems like given the skills/stats, the observer could've expected to learn better than that.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Observe 07/16/2012 08:11 PM CDT
I have no evidence to back this but. Observing seems to really go downhill around 400 ranks. I have to find a teacher with insane teaching (like yours) to be able to move it at any rate while I'm singing FAE (increasing pulses). Seems like once you get past around 250 ranks you really gotta start getting your own classes to train teaching effectively. That's my experience anyways.
Re: Observe 07/17/2012 05:18 AM CDT
>>...while I'm singing FAE (increasing pulses)

Just for the record, but a friend tested this fairly recently and found that FAE does not actually increase the frequency of teaching pulses.

Based on the description of FAE, I don't think this is intended, but that's what he found.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Observe 07/17/2012 03:58 PM CDT
I'll check again by running timestamps, but I'm pretty sure at cap'd mana the class pulses a little quicker.
Re: Observe 07/17/2012 04:49 PM CDT

Random addition to the info that I didn't consider relevant until a second class was attempted. The original class being observed was ME, which the observer only had 30 some odd ranks in (hence the observing, wasn't a skill he was interested in by itself), the teacher had somewhere between 350-400 ranks. Later switched to a parry class. 50 rank difference between teacher and observer (650 observer, 600 teacher, rounded.) Observing THAT class moved teaching and scholarship just fine. So it appears to have had nothing to do with teaching/scholarship ranks or mental stats and everything to do with the subject being taught. Which I find kind of odd.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Observe 07/17/2012 06:51 PM CDT
> I'll check again by running timestamps, but I'm pretty sure at cap'd mana the class pulses a little quicker.

It's been about a year since I tested, but I think I found that the pulses came every 60 seconds, no matter how much mana I was using with FAE, or even if I was using FAE at all.