Teaching exp weirdness 09/10/2011 09:36 PM CDT
I'm noticing some wonkiness with my teaching exp. Normally, teaching my favorite student, I can reach mind lock in not too much time. Today, I've made the following changes:

1) Added a second, lesser student.
2) Switched to a skill I know less of, but I still know more than either of my students.
3) Left combat.

From everything Dart's posted, none of these should hurt my learning (and the first should help), but today I'm unable to get above 1.

Or have I misunderstood the role the taught skill plays? Is it not just a binary "do you have more than your student" check?
Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/11/2011 06:36 AM CDT
Not binary in my experience, no, but I didn't think that the difference in scale was that drastic.
Malkien
Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/11/2011 07:47 AM CDT
Actually, if I understand correctly what you learn in teaching is directly related to how much the student learns in the subject being taught. To that end, there are a lot of things that factor in. Skillset placement of the subject for teacher and student, in my experience, seems to matter. Along with teaching skill/scholarship skill, charisma. Then guild/race can factor in as well.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/11/2011 08:24 AM CDT
I'm starting to believe how often you learn the same subject from the same person matters too.

I haven't gotten scholarship above 5/34 listening to anyone recently, though. Have to break out the compendium if I want it to get mind locked.
Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/11/2011 08:40 AM CDT
I find I learn scholarship a TON better from teaching a large-ish class than I ever do from listening or observing.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/11/2011 08:42 AM CDT
<<I find I learn scholarship a TON better from teaching a large-ish class than I ever do from listening or observing.

Presumably you're teaching people with more ranks in the relevant skill than you have. That's about the only way I can really move scholarship via teaching. Sadly, I don't have an opportunity to find those kinds of classes often.
Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/11/2011 08:46 AM CDT
Not necessarily. Teaching a shield class at the bin in Lang or the Ranger guild in Crossing. 5-10 students and although I didn't ask, of the people I was teaching the likelihood of the ranks being skewed in that direction is low.

~Katt

Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/11/2011 08:52 AM CDT
<<Not necessarily. Teaching a shield class at the bin in Lang or the Ranger guild in Crossing. 5-10 students and although I didn't ask, of the people I was teaching the likelihood of the ranks being skewed in that direction is low.

Fair enough, but it only takes one (with reasonable Charisma).
Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/11/2011 04:43 PM CDT
> Along with teaching skill/scholarship skill, charisma. Then guild/race can factor in as well.

Yes, I know all those things play a role. But those are constant in this example, because I'm teaching the same student. Nor did the skillset of what I was teaching change (can lock teaching her ML, only got a trickle teaching her AL).
Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/11/2011 05:37 PM CDT
<<Yes, I know all those things play a role. But those are constant in this example, because I'm teaching the same student. Nor did the skillset of what I was teaching change (can lock teaching her ML, only got a trickle teaching her AL).

Is your mech lore particularly higher than your animal lore?

Is your mech lore/animal lore particularly higher than her mech/animal lore?
Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/12/2011 03:40 AM CDT
> Is your mech lore particularly higher than your animal lore?

Yes. That was the point of my original post: I had thought that all that matters is whether you have more than your student. Apparently not.

> Is your mech lore/animal lore particularly higher than her mech/animal lore?

Yes/yes.
Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/12/2011 11:40 AM CDT
<<Yes. That was the point of my original post: I had thought that all that matters is whether you have more than your student. Apparently not.

Yeah, my gut feeling is that teaching the same person -- and particularly the same subjects ad nauseum -- stops being an effective way for you to learn teaching, and eventually for your student to learn what you're trying to teach.

I suppose this is realistic, but it is pretty irritating when you consider how irksome it can be to learn teaching in the first place.
Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/12/2011 12:17 PM CDT
Teacher: Dwarf Empath
Class: Brawling

Stats: Charisma : 50

Teaching: 562 93% mind lock (34/34)
Scholarship: 580 66% dabbling (1/34)
Brawling: 272 38% mind lock (34/34)

Student: Kaldar Barbarian

Stats: Charisma : 33

Teaching: 272 93% perusing (2/34)
Scholarship: 343 47% nearly locked (33/34)
Brawling: 298 94% mind lock (34/34)

Neither the empath, nor the barbarian are actually brawling, the mind state comes from the class alone.

________________________________________________________________________________

We've decided that instead of spells Paladins will be a new arm of the Bard guild utilizing interpretive dance moves.

~GM Zeyurn
Re: Teaching exp weirdness 09/14/2011 11:38 AM CDT
>Yeah, my gut feeling is that teaching the same person -- and particularly the same subjects ad nauseum -- stops being an effective way for you to learn teaching, and eventually for your student to learn what you're trying to teach.

Not at all true in my experience. Have taught almost exclusively the same subject between characters for untold months and gotten teaching to 900+ on one of them. No noticeable depreciation in learning for the student, either.