Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/16/2017 01:48 AM CDT

It appear Wisdom is best stat for mining, I am sure strength and stamina help keep the shovel work. Intelligence would help the skill rate as well.

Elothean has best wisdom tdp adjustment but...

What guild best compliments mining. If I was to build a character with high wisdom then what guild class ?
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/16/2017 08:52 AM CDT

> It appear Wisdom is best stat for mining,

Doesn't wisdom only matter for prospecting? That caps out early enough that it's not worth building a mining character around.

Strength is a better choice. It reduces RT ( https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:Mining_RT%27s_-_06/23/2011_-_08:13 ) and more materials you can hold without getting a burden. If you really wanted to min/max race around a miner then I'd go ranger as a gor'tog. Mine for a week or two to get your skills up. Hunt for a few weeks to get some spell slots and defenses up. Pick up SOTT (perception), WoTP (Wisdom), WS (Outdoorsmanship), and eventually BES or vigor (Strength). I'd also grab ATH (athletics) to get into some of the out of the way mining zones.
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/16/2017 11:35 AM CDT
I think I've been told that the Ranger guild is probably best guild for mining sinceforaging figures into mining. I've heard that wisdom factors in it to but I don't know how.

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Bertrand Russell
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html?q=love
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/16/2017 12:05 PM CDT

dwarves... duh

bard dwarves with a penchant for whistling!!
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/16/2017 03:22 PM CDT
I love mining (and lumberjacking), and the Ranger skill-set and spells compliment a gatherer type character well.

In the spirit of "grass is greener" consider moon mage. Rangers really suck at travel compared to moonies and being able to prospect and survey from inviso is super cool perk. Also, you could make a (totally|mostly) non-combat moon mage gatherer and probably still circle.

~Hunter Hanryu
"Even adjusting the pace for Simu-Soon timescales, there is no way Mech Lore is still trainable in 2014 imo" - Apu(2013)
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/16/2017 07:16 PM CDT

I wonder what the best miners are utilizing.

As a fledgling commoner, I chose Elothean.
I think getting Wisdom and strength to 20 would work well. This plus 18 strength bonus , how much strength points must you have to obtain a +18 bonus ?

Is Stamina necessary for a gatherer ?

Moon Mage seems Idea for non combat.
Ranger has some nice spell buffs too

I am so indecisive !
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/16/2017 09:05 PM CDT
I strongly support Gor'Tog Ranger as the choice for mining. Wisdom matters very little in the long term since it is only for prospecting, which means Strength is king. Moon Mage is an excellent second choice for guild.

I wrote a detailed guide to the guilds best suited to Gathering and Crafting here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonrealms/comments/630cj5/spells_that_help_with_gathering/dfqqpsu/

- Navesi
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/16/2017 11:55 PM CDT

Fantastic article Navesi.

I see a recommendation for a bard crafter as well in that article. What is the stat build for forging. Strength ? What race and class makes a good ingot maker besides trader?
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/17/2017 12:46 AM CDT
As far as I know, Strength is the only stat used for Forging, so Gor'Tog would be another good choice there (-3 Str). Kaldar and S'Kra Mur also have bonuses to Strength, but only -1.

- Navesi
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/17/2017 12:48 AM CDT

hmm , a gortog bard ?
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/17/2017 07:49 AM CDT

> I see a recommendation for a bard crafter as well in that article. What is the stat build for forging. Strength ? What race and class makes a good ingot maker besides trader?

You need to decide if you want this for the long haul or just as a minor excursion into the systems. If you just want to make ingots then anything will work. They only need a hundred or so ranks and some decent tools to do well.

If you're doing work-orders for platinum then you will want to go with a lore prime that doesn't neglect charisma.
- Traders have a minor buff to returns, but they won't have the skill buffs until they get magic. That could be never as it joins the ranks of the bard abilities or barrier review.
- Bards have whispers of the muse, which is nice, but they require combat skills to advance. This will take you out of forging.
- A strength/stamina/charisma empath is a better option, in my opinion. You have buffs to all of the major crafting stats. You have access to the best crafting buffs via sorcery (WoTM for your top skill from bards; enchanting and engineering from moon mages). You have in-domain gathering buffs thanks to rangers (Wolf Sense + Wisdom of the Pact). You'll reach the prospect cap more quickly than almost any other guilds (Primary appraisal, secondary perception + outdoorsmanship), you can heal yourself after disasters, you can safely use and you can ignore combat skills thanks to innocence. This also lets you completely ignore combat centric stats if you want to. Agility and Reflex, for example; however, you'll want those if you go outfitting, but you can do train them later. Finally, you get the bonus, and if you go primarily charisma then you can outpace traders at the circle with regards to returns.
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/17/2017 07:53 AM CDT
>> moonies and being able to prospect and survey from inviso is super cool perk.

Last I checked with my thief a few years ago I couldn't prospect or mine while invis, did that change recently?
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/17/2017 08:40 AM CDT
> Last I checked with my thief a few years ago I couldn't prospect or mine while invis, did that change recently?

You can't mine (as far as I know), but you can prospect/watch forest if you have a pulsing inviso that reforms. You'll fade into view but quickly go back invisible. Keep in mind this is anecdotal from watching a moon mage prospecting in the same mine I was looking through.

Blend won't work. I want to say it has to be a held spell (cyclic, pulsing) like SOV, but maybe any pulsing inviso will work.

~Hunter Hanryu
"Even adjusting the pace for Simu-Soon timescales, there is no way Mech Lore is still trainable in 2014 imo" - Apu(2013)
Re: Which Race and guild compliments Mining ? 05/17/2017 12:43 PM CDT
Nature's Canopy allowed us to prospect while invisible, but that went away when 3.0 combined that and the old Blend spell to what we use now. I miss being able to run through a mine and prospect, looking for good veins without having to deal with critters seeing me.