metal tiers 03/29/2015 11:27 PM CDT
Kodius responded to a bug/confusion post i tossed up in bugs-lore, and I wanted to continue that conversation here.

>>At some point I need to re-think how metals are classified. I wanted four tiers, but that didn't allow sufficient depth to handle copper->silver->gold->platinum->animite, etc. There are several metals that drop a bit higher or lower than what makes sense...

Are you basing this on metal appearance vs value?

Would you like to see a range based on some stat(i.e. hardness/value, or more of a descriptor classification(i.e. shiny, dull, color shade, etc)

Are you thinking more ranges or different ranges, or something else entirely?

Would stone get a similar treatment?

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: metal tiers 03/29/2015 11:54 PM CDT
I actually thought there already was a common/uncommon/rare/very rare, go figure.

uncommon being silver/gold, rare being platinum/electrum/nimiam/lumium, very rare being your kertig/daminte/haralun/animite

muracite and darkstone actually feel like they're rare/very rare when IMO they ought to be uncommon.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: metal tiers 03/30/2015 07:20 PM CDT
>>I actually thought there already was a common/uncommon/rare/very rare, go figure.

There is. We have 4 rarity tiers for drops and 1 for ultra rare stuff that doesn't drop. That apparently doesn't provide enough granularity.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: metal tiers 03/30/2015 10:10 PM CDT
>>There is. We have 4 rarity tiers for drops and 1 for ultra rare stuff that doesn't drop. That apparently doesn't provide enough granularity.

In reference to my original (not a) bug post, would it be something to consider not including the less-than-rare rares (gold/platinum/anything else that equates) in the rare drop table?

It's a little disheartening to "Oh something else it's rare" then "Aww it's not glaes/kertig/damite rare level"

Muracite and Ninium are the pits b/c alchemy is meh. It's not really sound game design to dynamically adjust drop rates based on demand, but it'd sure be nice if it was.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: metal tiers 03/30/2015 11:19 PM CDT
>>There is. We have 4 rarity tiers for drops and 1 for ultra rare stuff that doesn't drop. That apparently doesn't provide enough granularity.

I do wonder if we could have some stuff shift around, though. Darkstone and muracite seem oddly hard to come across, IMO. AFAIK they're mainly easier workability midsteel for weapons or armor, so why not have them pop up a bit more?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.