Exactly How Unlucky Am I? 06/02/2014 11:58 AM CDT
> mine
The world seems to move in slow motion as your weighted pickaxe slices towards a section of rock. Little things catch your eye -- a slight instability in the rubble, a bulging section of stone that could be under pressure. Something is not quite right. You try to halt the swing, but it is too late. Your pickaxe strikes the earth just so, puncturing a pressurized section of material that detonates with incredible force. A tidal wave of shattered earth slams into you, hurling you into the air!
You stop teaching.
* Kilan was just struck down!
Your weighted pickaxe falls to the ground.

Your death cry echoes in your brain as it quickly dawns on you that you have just died! Already, you feel the tug of eternity upon your soul and you struggle to remain tied to this world.

A chill takes the seat of your soul as your remaining spiritual strength bleeds away steadily. However, you are comforted that you have curried the favor of your god, which will greatly improve the course of your resurrection or reincarnation.

Your body will decay beyond its ability to hold your soul in 84 minutes.
Roundtime: 15 sec.

I'd prospected a short time before and saw no signs of that. Ow.
Re: Exactly How Unlucky Am I? 06/02/2014 12:26 PM CDT
>>I'd prospected a short time before and saw no signs of that. Ow.

Was that the first swing you took after prospecting?

Would be interesting to learn that without enough skill, you can't tell that there's a danger in the room when doing a general prospect.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Exactly How Unlucky Am I? 06/02/2014 12:49 PM CDT
>Was that the first swing you took after prospecting?

Checking logs, no. It was the second.

173 Outdoorsmanship, 272 perception, 250 appraisal.

Jhesili has 119 outdoorsmanship, 185 perception, 326 appraisal.

More log minus title listing:

> prosp

You see evidence of mineral deposits and are certain a small quantity remains to be found.
This area is composed of sedimentary rock layers.
Studying the geology, you are certain that continued mining will be quite safe.
You are certain that soapstone can be mined here.
You are certain that iron can be mined here.
Miners stand ready to trade resources in for deeds. Just PUSH any mined up stone or metal, and they'll take care of the rest.
Roundtime: 11 sec.
R>

R>
R>
R> [mine2]: mine

R>
...wait 4 seconds.
R>
R>

> [mine2]: mine
Chips of multihued stone scatter as you land repeated blows of your weighted pickaxe on nearby rock.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
R>
Jhesili expertly evaluates all aspects of this area's geology.
R> [mine2]: mine
Blows from your weighted pickaxe dig into the rock, sending a sheet of material crashing to the ground.
Roundtime: 4 sec.
R>
You continue to instruct your students on Light Armor.
Jhesili smiles broadly as she grasps your lesson, encouraging you.
Seruk listens, enraptured and enthralled by your teachings.
R>
R>
[mine2]: mine
The world seems to move in slow motion as your weighted pickaxe slices towards a section of rock. Little things catch your eye -- a slight instability in the rubble, a bulging section of stone that could be under pressure. Something is not quite right. You try to halt the swing, but it is too late. Your pickaxe strikes the earth just so, puncturing a pressurized section of material that detonates with incredible force. A tidal wave of shattered earth slams into you, hurling you into the air!
You stop teaching.
Your weighted pickaxe falls to the ground.

Your death cry echoes in your brain as it quickly dawns on you that you have just died! Already, you feel the tug of eternity upon your soul and you struggle to remain tied to this world.

A chill takes the seat of your soul as your remaining spiritual strength bleeds away steadily. However, you are comforted that you have curried the favor of your god, which will greatly improve the course of your resurrection or reincarnation.

Your body will decay beyond its ability to hold your soul in 84 minutes.
Roundtime: 15 sec.

DEAD>
The ground shifts under your feet, sending a small iron nugget rolling away.

DEAD> "Uh.
Jhesili blinks.
DEAD>
You say, "Uh."
DEAD>
DEAD>
DEAD> "Huh.
You say, "Huh."
DEAD>
Re: Exactly How Unlucky Am I? 06/02/2014 12:49 PM CDT
Third. I can count.
Re: Exactly How Unlucky Am I? 06/02/2014 01:04 PM CDT
>>Checking logs, no. It was the [third].

Random/occasional spot checking doesn't help that much for mining safely. What you really want to do is wait 20 seconds between each mining. Even if your RT is 4 or 8 or whatever, wait 20 seconds. That is generally enough time for you to get an atmo message about the danger.

Alternatively, and this is something I did when I had a mining partner and we wanted to clear a room ASAP, have one mine nonstop while the other prospect dangers nonstop. But the big conditional is that you still don't mine more than once between each time your partner does a prospect danger, and your partner better be good at letting you know if/when they fail to remove a danger that pops up on the first try.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Exactly How Unlucky Am I? 06/02/2014 01:06 PM CDT
Yeah. I'm just going to stick to not mining. I don't find nearly enough good things(or even mediocre things) to justify being pulped.