mining question 02/10/2014 12:26 AM CST
Sometimes when a danger arises, I get the following.

>prospect dang
You scan the area and determine that continued mining here would be somewhat dangerous because the hiss of foul smelling gas could choke and stifle you. Your analysis has shown a way to somewhat reduce the danger present by adjusting the angle of mining. Using a discarded stone you make several notations on the wall both to remind yourself and to direct other miners.
Roundtime: 16 sec.

Any subsequent attempts to prospect danger result in failure. I can either leave the room or blow the trap.

>prospect dang
You scan the area and determine that continued mining here would be somewhat dangerous because the hiss of foul smelling gas could choke and stifle you. Your analysis has shown a way to somewhat reduce the danger present by adjusting the angle of mining. Using a discarded stone you make several notations on the wall both to remind yourself and to direct other miners.
Roundtime: 16 sec.
>prospect dang
You scan the area and determine that continued mining here would be slightly dangerous because the hiss of foul smelling gas could choke and stifle you. Unfortunately, you are unable to find any way around the instability in the geology.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>prospect dang
You scan the area and determine that continued mining here would be slightly dangerous because the hiss of foul smelling gas could choke and stifle you. Unfortunately, you are unable to find any way around the instability in the geology.
>prospect dang

Is this supposed to be happening?
Re: mining question 02/10/2014 12:36 AM CST
> Is this supposed to be happening?

Yes. The danger is at the second level, which can only happen if you mined while there was danger already present. Note that it says "somewhat dangerous" instead of "slightly dangerous". You may not have realized there was danger present, because it can take a bit before the message occurs. When you did prospect danger, you reduced it to the first level, but you can't reduce it again. If you had someone else there, they could also do prospect danger to reduce it another level, back to 0.
Re: mining question 02/10/2014 02:10 AM CST
Note that sometimes you may not be able to fully reduce danger even when it is only slightly dangerous. This depends on skill -- the usual mining skills I presume. Outdoorsmanship, maybe Perception, maybe Appraisal.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: mining question 02/10/2014 10:18 AM CST

>>
Yes. The danger is at the second level, which can only happen if you mined while there was danger already present. Note that it says "somewhat dangerous" instead of "slightly dangerous". You may not have realized there was danger present, because it can take a bit before the message occurs. When you did prospect danger, you reduced it to the first level, but you can't reduce it again. If you had someone else there, they could also do prospect danger to reduce it another level, back to 0.
<<

Thank you for explaining that.

I run into that a lot.

My solution is always to mine and set off the trap. I... usually don't die.