New to mining 09/28/2013 10:31 AM CDT
Finally trying my hand at mining.

I've already visited the mining page: http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Mining

I've already gotten my hands dirty. What I'm looking for is a general idea of what might be good to pocket, deed.. what's not worth bothering. I've already deeded some heavy rock I couldn't move, though not sure of the value.

Also picked up some materials (jade for example) that can't be sold to a gem buyer. Any clue where these can be unloaded, or if this should even be of value to pick up.

The dangers... I've already experienced:

A bitter smell seeps into the air.
The ground rumbles ominously.

My question is are these events an indicator to something that is building in the room you are mining that will build over 1) time, or with 2) additional mining? Or will these pass if you wait? Or does it matter?
Re: New to mining 09/28/2013 10:41 AM CDT
Those indicators require a PROSPECT DANGER to clear. Do this ASAP, or the next MINE will set them off.

As to what to collect:

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Crafting_Materials

I would say silver, and then anything under rare metals. The rest should be ignored. All stones should be ignored, except maybe obsidian.

What's your ultimate goal?
Re: New to mining 09/28/2013 10:50 AM CDT
> What's your ultimate goal?

I've yet to attempt at crafting anything, so right now, aside from basically learning the ropes and exploring the possibilities, maybe a simple, potential cash flow.
Re: New to mining 09/28/2013 10:54 AM CDT
Every room has a stone and a metal. You'll hit the stone first, and then eventually you'll reach the metal. Most stones aren't worth your time; grab large rocks and boulders of limestone if you want to make stirring rods, and soapstone if you want to make slickstones, but otherwise just ignore them.

As mentioned, the metals that are worth grabbing are silver and the rares, although you may want to skip muracite and darkstone.
Re: New to mining 09/28/2013 11:17 AM CDT
>
You see evidence of mineral deposits and are certain a scattering of resources remains to be found.
This area is composed of metamorphic rock layers.
Studying the geology, you are certain that continued mining will be quite safe.
You are certain that alabaster can be mined here.
You are certain that iron can be mined here.
You recognize some markings on the wall pointing to a safer mining angle as your own.
Miners stand ready to trade resources in for deeds. Just PUSH any mined up stone or metal, and they'll take care of the rest.
Roundtime: 12 sec.
R>

Is this to say that ONLY alabaster and iron can be found here and should move on to try and find something better, or does every room have other metals/stones you can't see?
Re: New to mining 09/28/2013 11:32 AM CDT
>>My question is are these events an indicator to something that is building in the room you are mining that will build over 1) time, or with 2) additional mining? Or will these pass if you wait? Or does it matter?

Additional mining.

As said, you need to PROSPECT DANGER to fix it.

>>Those indicators require a PROSPECT DANGER to clear. Do this ASAP, or the next MINE will set them off.

This isn't true. It's a percentage change of triggering.

>>Is this to say that ONLY alabaster and iron can be found here and should move on to try and find something better, or does every room have other metals/stones you can't see?

That specific room currently only offers those two materials.

BUT all rooms have a chance of randomly producing a rare metal even whole you mine a non rate metal. You can be in a room mining out alabaster and coal and randomly get a kertig fragment just as a lucky drop.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: New to mining 09/28/2013 11:59 AM CDT
What causes rooms to have their metals/stone change? I found silver in a room I hadn't seen it in before.
Re: New to mining 09/28/2013 12:04 PM CDT
When I first tried mining about a year or so ago, I used to find those one off drops about every other room I mined out. Now I've come back to mining and I've only found one of those random drops in 3 days of mining. Did they turn the chance of those one off drops down?

Dierik

The average Moon Mage doesn't have a player keen enough on lore wonkery to keep up with it. Armifer
Re: New to mining 09/28/2013 12:22 PM CDT
>>What causes rooms to have their metals/stone change?

I don't know if this is exactly how it happens mechanically, but it's close enough.

Every so often a room check takes place. If the room is totally mined out, it repopulates the rock/metals that are available in that type of room. This is randomized. If a room has material left, and no one mined in it recently (I think?), there's a percentage chance it still repopulates.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: New to mining 09/28/2013 02:22 PM CDT
>>maybe a simple, potential cash flow.

If you should ever decide to make this a serious career/hobby, I buy silver, electrum, niniam, gold, lumium, and platinum in bulk. (Think like 20+ 200 vol ingots.) My IM is Eyuve.

-- Player of Eyuve