Mining Messaging 04/21/2013 07:55 AM CDT
Any chance we could make mining messages show with the action? Everywhere else we see the messaging with the action. Mining somehow has the information tagged as atmospheric. Being able to mine without prospecting danger after each step would increase my happiness.
Re: Mining Messaging 04/21/2013 08:24 AM CDT
>>Any chance we could make mining messages show with the action? Everywhere else we see the messaging with the action. Mining somehow has the information tagged as atmospheric. Being able to mine without prospecting danger after each step would increase my happiness.

That's the point. It is dangerous. The only way to do it safely is to prospect/prospect danger after every mine.

You seem to be posting some suggestions without understanding the underlying systems, or design. I suggest learning the systems more. Also, try to avoid the word 'atmospheric' or variations of it, since there's an atmospheric window, and you're likely to confuse people.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Mining Messaging 04/26/2013 10:28 AM CDT
Mining can be dangerous and still show with the action. If we can know the degree of a hit in combat, why not out of combat?

The underlying system seems to be using the atmospherics to allow everyone to see the action. If people without skill wouldn't be able to see the danger, leave the old method but show the probability roll on mine (maybe skill check perception for it).
Re: Mining Messaging 04/26/2013 10:45 AM CDT
You could just wait a bit [more?] between each swing.

If anything, it was tied to atmo as opposed to action explicitly because it gives people the option to listen and wait, prospect for dangers, or keep going, as opposed to having the "right" answer presented to them from the get-go.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Mining Messaging 04/27/2013 04:08 AM CDT
Mining is already an extremely time consuming action. Perception never lowers the timer on prospect or prospect danger. We have to dig through a lot of stone to find any ore. Many areas have to be searched to find anything remotely worth mining.

To top it all off, the work orders can sometimes take almost two full ingots to complete. A full ingot requires a lot of ore and refining with a bit of flux.

The time dump is already huge, is allowing us to see the danger on strike really that big of a request?
Re: Mining Messaging 04/27/2013 11:39 AM CDT
>>Mining is already an extremely time consuming action.

Kinda the point.

>>To top it all off, the work orders can sometimes take almost two full ingots to complete. A full ingot requires a lot of ore and refining with a bit of flux.

Has nothing to do with mining.

>>The time dump is already huge, is allowing us to see the danger on strike really that big of a request?

Is waiting 6-10 seconds between each strike that big of a request? My own mining script has an 8 second pause between each mining and I haven't been hit by a disaster in months. Anytime I or someone I know wants to clear something out fast we have one person mine while the other prospects dangers. Teamwork!

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Mining Messaging 04/27/2013 07:46 PM CDT
<<Kinda the point.>>

Why should mining be an extremely time consuming action as opposed to combat?

<<Has nothing to do with mining.>>

Mining is the gathering skill for forging ingots. Ingots are the reagent for armorsmithing and weaponsmithing. Ores go to ingots and ingots go to armor/weapons. To train smithing, we need them all or a mountain of platinum. We aren't all playing alts just to gather.

<<Is waiting 6-10 seconds between each strike that big of a request? My own mining script has an 8 second pause between each mining and I haven't been hit by a disaster in months.>>

Advanced triggers are required to wait for messaging and do other actions, not everyone likes the idea of using major extras just to avoid what should never have been put in play (one group has access to sidestep while the rest are left out--yes, having a trigger that catches the message is a sidestep). Straight waiting makes as much sense as having to prospect danger after every swing (which I do to avoid cave-ins). Gathering handicaps training enough without the atmospherics.

<<Anytime I or someone I know wants to clear something out fast we have one person mine while the other prospects dangers. Teamwork!>>

This is a short term solution unless you are playing both adventurers given the amount of time required to train up skills. Might as well mine another room and show-up when one or the other manages to cave themselves in to dig them out. Odds of a double cave-in would be minor.

What was that saying? Nobody should be required to do something any sane adventurer would not do just to train. It was something like that.

The atmospheric messaging is just one of those things that glares out from a zmud or genie window only and has a quick fix for the few. Everything else has an immediate response. I like the new content, sadly, the time restrictions and diminishing returns are taking over our world (while the people it was meant to restrict from reaching the game caps have thousands of ranks in their bonus pool).
Re: Mining Messaging 04/27/2013 08:32 PM CDT
>>Mining is the gathering skill for forging ingots. Ingots are the reagent for armorsmithing and weaponsmithing. Ores go to ingots and ingots go to armor/weapons. To train smithing, we need them all or a mountain of platinum. We aren't all playing alts just to gather.

You don't NEED to mine in order to train forging. You can buy ingots, smelt them, forge items and easily make a profit turning in work orders

This may change in the future if storebought ingots are removed, but for now the only time sink you can argue is part of forging is the time spent smelting.

Apu
_
Respect. Integrity. World Domination.
https://sites.google.com/site/apucorpdr/
Re: Mining Messaging 04/27/2013 10:22 PM CDT
>>Why should mining be an extremely time consuming action as opposed to combat?

3.0 kinda drew out the duration of combat, and there's a fatigue penalty for not waiting between each RT, too.

>>Advanced triggers are required to wait for messaging and do other actions, not everyone likes the idea of using major extras just to avoid what should never have been put in play

Those triggers would be used by people no matter where the danger trigger was placed.

>>This is a short term solution

I'm not sure why working as a team is a short term solution.

>>The atmospheric messaging is just one of those things that glares out from a zmud or genie window only and has a quick fix for the few.

Why would it only stand out using those front ends? I think even Wizard lets you highlight strings.

>>Everything else has an immediate response.

you're not necessarily told everything that is coming at once in combat, either.

Re: Mining Messaging 04/27/2013 10:26 PM CDT
You CAN prospect danger BEFORE the messaging pops. Let's not make mountains out of mole hills, just prospect danger after each swing. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Re: Mining Messaging 04/28/2013 02:42 AM CDT
Bought ingots require a lot more refining. I have all the smelting techniques and the low quality, high priced, bought ingots come out just above even when turning in bronze kite shields. These bought ingots are so small and of such small quality I have to stir ingots many times for each finished ingot. I love the idea of mining so much so I keep mining while my exp drains off and I learn almost nothing. I still hope for rare, tiny shard/tear/lump: it has become my lottery.

Blacksmithing has the training advantage for time to experience with how small the items are from this profession (with the time dump for forging ingots). I was hoping to save my hobby for potion making, but I might have to use it in blacksmithing just to move forging (I wasted a profession on outfitting prior--yes wasted, the gear and reagents are subpar now that I have all the bags).

Highlighting the corresponding atmospheric messaging is not the problem. The problem is having to fix it every time one pops up. The eight seconds "pause" to wait for the messaging while doing something else only works on platforms with secondary trigger inputs. Having the messaging on action would level the playing field for normal players. I have researched the messaging setups and they definitely create a sidestep.

Mining with others is a short term solution because most people have family, lives, other things. There are very few who would want to attach to another's hip and not train their actual skills for prolonged periods.
Re: Mining Messaging 04/28/2013 12:51 PM CDT
>>Bought ingots require a lot more refining.

Unless something changed, one refine gets bought ingots to high 90s for me.

Re: Mining Messaging 04/28/2013 05:51 PM CDT
Bought metals have varying quality based on metal type. I actually bought and appraised them all a while back. Most of them were at 50 IIRC, so they'd usually require two fluxes to break 90 (For that gets them all the way to 99) but some were lower (Oravir) and I can't recall which ones were higher.