Training Forging 11/19/2018 09:38 AM CST

I recently converted about 300 ranks of mech into forging and am sitting at around 330. What's the best thing to make to train at those ranks? I've been doing challenging blacksmithing work orders in bronze, and it moves but it takes about 30 minutes to get me Focused. I don't have any techs either.
Thanks.
Re: Training Forging 11/19/2018 12:21 PM CST

Get better tools. Store-bought tools take about twice as long as top-end tools. You can get some decent steel ones for about 10 platinum each, and they'll drop your time investment by about 20%. Higher stats also helps as it seems to give you a higher chance for the CD reduction.

I may be imagining this, but I avoid techs solely for learning. They seem to decrease difficulty which decreases experience. Think of the original HOL. However, I do like the techs that increase quality and speed. Those let you pump out higher value workorders more effectively and get more xp for your time.
Re: Training Forging 11/19/2018 12:32 PM CST

I hadn't considered the tools, thank you. I was thinking about picking up Master Metallurgy for just that reason, any other techs besides that one that you'd recommend?
Re: Training Forging 11/19/2018 01:19 PM CST

If you're going to be doing a lot of crafting...

- Basic and advanced tool repair are nice.

- Proper forging tool care is a QoL improvement, but it's not mandatory.

- Master Metallurgy is great if you're making your own steel with store bought goods, or if you're making tools as part of your training routine.

- Armorcraft Acumen if you're making armor.

- Weaponcraft Acumen if you're making weapons.
Re: Training Forging 11/19/2018 01:59 PM CST
You definitely want the techs that reduce roundtime for efficient training.
Re: Training Forging 11/19/2018 09:37 PM CST
Do hard work orders. Use the metal that allows you to complete the order well enough to turn it in. You should be locking your skill with 3 items if you are making weapons. If you aren't learning enough the metal is too easy. If you aren't getting exceptional or better quality the metal is too hard. You can use epedia crafting materials page to determine workability of metals. You will be give orders that get progressively easier to complete and thus less learning so you switch to harder metals to work with as this happens. My rule of thumb is 12 mind states per item or switch metals. As you gain skill you will move up tiers. Getting techs means you can do higher tier orders at lower levels of skill. 4300 hard work orders and counting. I have never done anything less that a hard work order.
Re: Training Forging 11/20/2018 12:19 PM CST

I bought decent tools and switched to hard work orders in bronze and that made a huge difference. I think I'll try to move up a step in metal difficulty because I'm getting something like 7 or 8 mind states per item.
Re: Training Forging 11/20/2018 01:19 PM CST

Hard weaponsmithing work orders with brass did the trick...12 mind states per item. Thanks!