new to forging 11/11/2017 01:25 PM CST

Just started forging recently and have just accrued 37 ranks in forging. In the smelting process, I usually smelt an ingot between 20-25 volume and then push it into a deed. I have about 25 deeds worth of metal.

I have heard that the ingots can be refined for higher quality. My most recent ingots have been coming out around 86% pure. should I try to refine this further? or is 86% pure an acceptable percent.

I am intending to sell my ingots to a trader for profit.

any help or pointers would be appreciated. slowly learning this craft.

Thanks
Mnion, Human Ranger
Re: new to forging 11/11/2017 05:48 PM CST
Hello,

I hope this helps a little. Refining the metal is a nice way to increase its quality but it is often not worth doing unless you know the technique. You lose about half of the metal without the technique where I believe it is only about 20% lose with the technique.

Selling the deeds I would suggest you talk to a trader about it but my guess most common metals are not worth being resold. Now combining steel with silver or another expensive metal could make some nice work order ingots. Also smelting will teach a varying amount depending on the difficultly of the metal.

Another thought for you is you might seek out some of the more active smiths to see if they would be interested in you doing the smelting for them. Likely not a huge profit but they might buy it off you so they not need to spend the time doing it themselves.

Also getting a set of better then store bought tools will help you learn more and keep your tools repaired also helps with learning.

Feel free to find me when I am awake and I can make you a set of gear if you like.

Lilustra
Re: new to forging 11/11/2017 08:48 PM CST
If you're planning on getting into the metal mining market, I HIGHLY recommend that you don't refine the metal you find. There's a tech that reduces the amount of metal lost in the refinement process for one, and for two, smiths have techniques and whatnot to ignore some of the quality of an ingot, and prefer to buy volumes even at a low quality.

Samsaren