Parry Stick Forging 03/17/2017 11:23 AM CDT
Nice to see parry sticks added to forging, thanks. I just had a couple of questions on things that seem like they could have gone either way.

1. Is the governing material property hardness like for a weapon, or physical resistance like for a shield? I suppose it would just affect balance, so it seems like it would be hardness. But then it's been placed under Armorsmithing, so maybe it's physical resistance?

2. Is repairing them considered weapon repair, or armor repair? Parry sticks are basically weapons you can't use to attack, so I could see it being weapon repair. But then it's been placed under Armorsmithing, so maybe it's armor repair?

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/17/2017 11:48 AM CDT

I crafted three parry sticks, one each of LCS/MCS/HCS, and documented the appraise results on elanthipedia: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Weapon:Parry_stick_(crafted)

Unfortunately, steel has the same hardness as physical resistance, so I can't use that to answer question 1. But if anyone else crafts some variants, there's a good place to document the results!
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/17/2017 05:07 PM CDT
I know Heartsfyre has recorded data, but I made 21 stone glaes and lumium, and the glaes was very well balanced while the lumium is soundly balanced.

Coupled with what I saw pure haralun doing, I'd say it's Hardness and lightness as the desirable characteristics.

Also, can't be balanced.

Naniaki Felyran

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/17/2017 05:09 PM CDT
<<1. Is the governing material property hardness like for a weapon, or physical resistance like for a shield? I suppose it would just affect balance, so it seems like it would be hardness. But then it's been placed under Armorsmithing, so maybe it's physical resistance?

It's definitely hardness; I made one out of 3.0 density covellite (35 hardness 80 physical) and it was pretty terrible.

A simple covellite parry stick is a brawling type weapon.
A simple covellite parry stick trains the brawling skill.

You are certain that the stick is a purely defensive item.

You are certain that the stick is inadequately (4/17) balanced and is terribly (1/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the parry stick is quite guarded against damage (12/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The parry stick is made with metal.
It appears that the parry stick can be worn on the right arm.
You are certain that the parry stick weighs exactly 21 stones.
You are certain that the parry stick is worth exactly 2908 Kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/17/2017 05:53 PM CDT
This morning I made one in HCS/oravir.

You are certain that the stick is very well balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

HCS/gold comes out less balanced and more suited. Not worth the suited if it's defensive, I suppose.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/17/2017 07:40 PM CDT
I was going to make a 67/33 tyrium/oravir one on Test to see what it looks like.

Spent the time getting the mix ready, then found it's not in the book.

/sadface

Naniaki Felyran

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/17/2017 08:26 PM CDT
Neat!
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/17/2017 10:41 PM CDT
> HCS/gold comes out less balanced and more suited. Not worth the suited if it's defensive, I suppose.

Could you elaborate? What does the balance/suitedness of a parry stick affect?
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/18/2017 12:36 AM CDT
>Could you elaborate? What does the balance/suitedness of a parry stick affect?

In a weapon, balance affects the agility modifier for to-hit and damage calculations, while suitedness affects the modifier for strength.

In a parry stick, balance affects the modifier for parrying, and suitedness affects ???. Nothing, does not apply.
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/19/2017 09:33 PM CDT

One thing I noticed:

2017-03-19 22:31:49 -0400:>analyze my parry stick
2017-03-19 22:31:49 -0400:You thoroughly analyze the parry stick, revealing some of its secrets.
2017-03-19 22:31:50 -0400:This appears to be a type of unknown that is masterfully-crafted (12/12).
2017-03-19 22:31:50 -0400:The stick is a challenging piece to make.
2017-03-19 22:31:50 -0400:It was made by someone with abilities close to your own skill.
2017-03-19 22:31:50 -0400:About 7 volume of metal was used in this item's construction.

Is "This appears to be a type of unknown" due to a technique I'm missing?
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/19/2017 09:42 PM CDT
>>Is "This appears to be a type of unknown" due to a technique I'm missing?

IIRC this means the analyze system is missing a thing in a database somewhere. My guess is that there's no "this is a brawling weapon" (or armor?) flag set for it.

But definitely a bug! Make sure to hold the item and BUG ITEM in game.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/19/2017 11:06 PM CDT
I'll get this fixed. As I said, it was a hack :P

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/25/2017 07:19 PM CDT
It looks like tempering a parry stick uses the Weapon Tempering techniques instead of armor. Is that intended? I think it's also using weapon techniques for repairing them, but I'm not totally sure on that. Should this thing just be a Weaponsmithing product under Martial Weapons instead of being placed as an Armorsmithing product?

>put stick on forge
Your lack of knowledge of the Rare-Metal Weapon Tempering technique prevents you from proceeding.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Parry Stick Forging 03/28/2017 11:35 PM CDT
That is a side effect of hacking it in there. I'll get it fixed up soon.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Parry Stick Forging 04/09/2017 11:22 PM CDT

Also, should rare metals be capping at the same level as HCS? I made a silversteel one expecting awesomeness and then saw I just wasted thousands of plats worth of material when I could have used your everyday simple high carb steel.

> app stick

A simple silversteel parry stick is a brawling type weapon.
A simple silversteel parry stick trains the brawling skill.

You are certain that the stick is a purely defensive item.

You are certain that the stick is very well (10/17) balanced and is poorly (3/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the parry stick is practically invulnerable to damage (18/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The parry stick is made with metal.
It appears that the parry stick can be worn on the right arm.
You are certain that the parry stick weighs exactly 21 stones.
You are certain that the parry stick is worth exactly 867350 Kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
R>

> anal stick

You analyze every minute detail of the parry stick and smile knowingly to yourself.
This appears to be a type of unknown that is masterfully-crafted.
The stick is a challenging piece to make.
It was made by someone with abilities close to your own skill.
About 7 volume of metal was used in this item's construction.
The metal appears to be composed of: 71.42% silversteel, and 28.57% high carbon steel.
You recognize this work as your own.
The metal appears to have been slowly tempered to improve its durability.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
R>
Re: Parry Stick Forging 04/10/2017 07:20 AM CDT
>Also, should rare metals be capping at the same level as HCS? I made a silversteel one expecting awesomeness and then saw I just wasted thousands of plats worth of material when I could have used your everyday simple high carb steel.

The value of rare metals are reflected in damage or protection values, whether that be pure power of said stats like tyrium or stats-to-weight ratio like silversteel.

Parry sticks lack all values save balance, suitability, durability, and weight. What else can they do with rare metals besides cap the durability or offer similar stats at a slightly lower weight?
Re: Parry Stick Forging 04/10/2017 10:08 PM CDT

>What else can they do with rare metals besides cap the durability or offer similar stats at a slightly lower weight?

High carb steel= very well balanced.
Silversteel= very well balanced.

Expected better from silversteel, not the same as your every day cheapo metal, that's why I asked, and everyone I've shown the parry stick to has said the same thing. Parry sticks are classified as a weapon, but everything about them is from the armor side so there's no preceding factors that had to be followed other than the 3.0 density minimum, just expected better than what we got is all that's why I asked the question.
Re: Parry Stick Forging 04/10/2017 10:15 PM CDT
I would guess it's because it's just a simple parry stick and HCS qualifies for the balance cap on this template. That leaves room for future auction parry sticks or paywall parry stick templates (or non-paywall additions to the crafting books for that matter) that cap at a higher balance and make room for other rare metals.
Re: Parry Stick Forging 04/10/2017 10:19 PM CDT

>paywall parry stick templates

With how things have gone over the past year or two, I'm willing to bet you're 100% spot on here.
Re: Parry Stick Forging 04/12/2017 12:14 AM CDT
Is it possible that one is "low end" very well and the other is "high end" very well? Or that density matters more than hardness (my understanding is that glaes parry sticks aren't notably different than high steel, either)?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.