Silversteel chain armor 12/07/2016 07:35 PM CST
I was wondering if there was any information out there that showed what silversteel appraised as chain armor. Wanted to get a few pieces made, but wondered the best way to go about it.

Would you want to weight it to highest density with platinum? Or keep it light at minimum density with a lighter metal? Epedia doesn't have anything filled in with it. So figured maybe an armorsmith would know or have examples. THanks!

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/07/2016 09:28 PM CST
In my opinion silversteel and audrualm should be used in 3.0 density armor. Silversteel would have identical physical protection, much higher durability, and lower elemental protection/absorption than audrualm. You can find the appraisal for audrualm on several of the ring template pages such as crafted ring sleeves. Just look for 95 physical resistance and 3.0 density.

If you want to have a conversation just find Padhg in prime. Metals like audrualm and silversteel are slightly better than lumium, but inferior to straight steel in terms of protection.
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/07/2016 09:48 PM CST
>If you want to have a conversation just find Padhg in prime. Metals like audrualm and silversteel are slightly better than lumium, but inferior to straight steel in terms of protection.

Why inferior to steel? It's 95 vs. 90 so I'd think it should be better, or at least the same at lower weight/hindrance.

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/07/2016 10:07 PM CST
Silversteel and audrualm aren't great in the sense that density matters a lot when it comes to armor stats so unless you really care about lightweight armor, there's very little reason to have any made.

I think my silversteel chain armor gloves are cool, but I also know I had them made more for thematic purposes than maximum protection opportunities purposes.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/08/2016 07:59 AM CST

>>I think my silversteel chain armor gloves are cool, but I also know I had them made more for thematic purposes than maximum protection opportunities purposes.

audrualm is better since you don't tank your electric resistance (silversteel is really bad at that) but they're both very good for low hindrance clown suits.

With 4 armors on in audrualm I'm at 6/3 all the time, 6/1 with dampen up.
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/08/2016 09:25 AM CST
That is pretty disappointing.

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/08/2016 10:47 AM CST
IMO, as much as I love the consistency and reliability of the 3.0 formulas, density is a bit too king these days. The benefits always lean toward heavier = better. This goes for weapons and armor alike.

In retrospect, it would have been interesting if high density = more absorption (thicker so harder to get damage through!) while low density = more protection (thinner so easier to move and deflect blows, or whatever), so there was a reason to care about both ends of the spectrum.

Similarly, giving high density weapons more impact and strength suitability while giving low density weapons more puncture and balance would have been a neat way to go about doing things.

As it stands, unless you really care about it for thematic purposes light gear is a very hard sell.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/08/2016 11:17 AM CST
>In retrospect, it would have been interesting if high density = more absorption (thicker so harder to get damage through!) while low density = more protection (thinner so easier to move and deflect blows, or whatever), so there was a reason to care about both ends of the spectrum.

I think this was supposed to be accomplished via hindrance, and the armor type was the protection vs. absoroption trade-off.

Perhaps the reduction in hindrance from weight needed to be higher, although with even paladins wanting the lowest hindering shields perhaps lighter and lower hindering is actually worth it for armor as well?

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/08/2016 11:49 AM CST
>>Perhaps the reduction in hindrance from weight needed to be higher, although with even paladins wanting the lowest hindering shields perhaps lighter and lower hindering is actually worth it for armor as well?

It is. I do better in combat (less wounds per hour) with audrualm accessories than with damite. It's probably a curve though, hindrances penalties get more important at the upper end.
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/08/2016 02:29 PM CST
Basically what I tell everyone who comes to Padhg for metal armor accessories (usually light plate mask, scale gloves, ring helm):

If you absolutely must minimize hindrance then use 3.0 density metal. You can do this with lumium. You can do this with silversteel or audrualm. Silversteel or audrualm have higher physical absorption than lumium. Silversteel has the highest durability (longer hunting trips and fewer repairs) and audrualm has best elemental protection/absorption.

If you want better protection/absorption, use high carbon steel at 6.32 density. It's cheap. It still appraises with "insignificant" hindrance.

If you want the best protection/absorption possible use 6.99 density damite/vardite. They still appraise within the "insigificant" hindrance range.
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/08/2016 04:09 PM CST
You don't do vardite at max density? 7.057.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/08/2016 04:25 PM CST
>>If you want the best protection/absorption possible use 6.99 density damite/vardite. They still appraise within the "insigificant" hindrance range.

insignificant is actually a pretty big range, for instance:

> inv armor
All of your armor:

a vardite ring helm
a light vardite plate mask
some vardite scale gloves
some slate-hued pants
a tailored shirt of dove-grey Imperial weave
a small diamond-hide shield

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently moderately (7/14) hindered and your stealth is insignificantly (3/14) hindered.

> inv armor
All of your armor:

a light audrualm plate mask
an audrualm ring helm
some audrualm scale gloves
some slate-hued pants
a tailored shirt of dove-grey Imperial weave
a small diamond-hide shield

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently somewhat (6/14) hindered and your stealth is insignificantly (3/14) hindered.

The pants and shirt are both Thick Imperial Weave that's been altered.

This is with armor tert and these ranks:

Light Armor: 684 91% very rapt (31/34)
Chain Armor: 614 49% studious (19/34)
Brigandine: 387 21% very rapt (31/34)
Plate Armor: 431 34% focused (20/34)

Maybe I haven't hit the last hindrance reduction for Brig or plate? I will admit, I am a little surprised stealth hindrance didn't go up from 3, I expected that to happen as well as evasion to go up with the higher density stuff. I'll save the vardite set and try again at 400 but I think hindrance would be at the lowest possible for me by now.
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/08/2016 04:38 PM CST
>SQUANTO: You don't do vardite at max density? 7.057.

You are right it's standard to mix 67% vardite with 33% gold and platinum (7.057 density), and I would for most work. In practice, other than one stone in weight because of integer math there's no perceivable (with appraise) difference but 6.99 density is 1 stone lighter.
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/08/2016 04:44 PM CST
@ZETHIN01095 I think you work off all that hindrance in the 200s. I have never noticed any lessening thereafter.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Silversteel chain armor 12/08/2016 07:07 PM CST
>>@ZETHIN01095 I think you work off all that hindrance in the 200s. I have never noticed any lessening thereafter.

So I thought that too, but my stealth hindrance dropped from 4 to 3 at some point in the last 50 ranks. I didn't notice exactly when or what armor it was on though.