Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/04/2016 05:44 PM CDT
I'm using a 99 quality HCS ingot.

I'm using masterfully-crafted tools: hammer, shovel, bellows, tongs, and oil. All freshly repaired.

However, on the first pound, it's outstanding quality.

You scan the hand claws instructions with a glance and completely understand all facets of the design.
You now feel ready to begin the crafting process.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

You realize the hand claws will not require as much metal as you have, and so you split the ingot and leave the portion you won't be using in your pack.

After using the tongs to warm the claws over the forge fire, you place it down upon the anvil and make some adjustments to its shape with carefully timed hammer taps. The forging proceeds exceptionally well and free of mistakes.
Roundtime: 9 sec.

R>ana claws on anv
You analyze every minute detail of the hand claws and smile knowingly to yourself.
When crafting is complete these will be a type of finished metal martial weapon.
The claws looks ready to be pounded with a forging hammer.
From the progress so far, it looks like the claws are of outstanding quality.
The claws are a difficult piece to make.
You estimate that they are one-tenth done.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

What's going on??
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/04/2016 06:03 PM CDT
Is the anvil masterfully-crafted? Do you have the tech to overcome lower quality tools?
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/04/2016 06:11 PM CDT
There are no masterfully-crafted anvils in the realms as far as I know. They're all well-crafted. If there is a masterfully-crafted one, I'd love to know about it.

My weaponsmithing techs are as follows:
From the weaponsmithing crafting discipline you have been trained in Basic Polearm Weapon Design, Weaponcraft Metallurgy, Weaponcraft Theory, Weaponcraft Acumen, Metal Weapon Tempering, Rare-Metal Weapon Tempering, Weapon Honing, and Weapon Balancing.

So, yes I have the tech. It's the Theory one I believe.
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/04/2016 06:24 PM CDT
The "exceptionally well" message is a range of results IIRC. Even with the tech to overcome bad tools it's possible you're right on the cusp of of the skill divide. I'd give it another 30 ranks and try again.
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/04/2016 07:49 PM CDT
> There are no masterfully-crafted anvils in the realms as far as I know. They're all well-crafted. If there is a masterfully-crafted one, I'd love to know about it.

I have a wand that magically produces a masterfully-crafted crucible. There are a few wands from auctions and one in the simucoin store that does anvils. I wonder if someone has one and can confirm if they are or aren't masterfully crafted.
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/04/2016 10:06 PM CDT

Okay, I've gone and checked all of the anvils that I know about on the mainland.
Is there anyone on the islands who can check Ratha and Kresh?

Crossing - 6 anvils, all well-crafted
Lava Forge - 3 anvils, all well-crafted
Leth - 3 anvils, all well-crafted
Shard - 4 anvils, all well-crafted
Hib - 4 anvils, all well-crafted
Haven - 5 anvils, all well-crafted
Ratha -
Kresh -

Kodius, We need better anvils and other equipment that we have no control over (slack tubs are another issue I believe). I had hoped that at least the premium forge would have slightly higher quality tools.
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/04/2016 10:08 PM CDT
>>Haven - 5 anvils, all well-crafted

Actually, Haven has 7 anvils. I forgot about the 2 on the street. They are also well-crafted.
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/04/2016 10:14 PM CDT
> Kodius, We need better anvils and other equipment that we have no control over (slack tubs are another issue I believe).

Well-crafted is intended to be the zero point for tools. Tools above well-crafted are providing a bonus, and that bonus can be replaced by just gaining more ranks.
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/04/2016 10:30 PM CDT
>>Well-crafted is intended to be the zero point for tools. Tools above well-crafted are providing a bonus, and that bonus can be replaced by just gaining more ranks.

In that case, why is nearly 1400 forging not enough to forge a level 10 difficulty item out of HCS, with all master-crafted tools except the anvil and tub?

I think something is strange here and would like someone to look into it.
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/04/2016 10:31 PM CDT
And on top of that, I have the tech to deal with low quality tools.
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/04/2016 10:48 PM CDT
> In that case, why is nearly 1400 forging not enough to forge a level 10 difficulty item out of HCS, with all master-crafted tools except the anvil and tub?

Why would you expect it to be achievable at that level? Tier 10 and workability 35 is simply more difficult than that.

By the by, I still can't do it at 1500 ranks. I get 97 final quality.
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/04/2016 11:49 PM CDT
The crafting page on elanthipedia suggests around 1175 ranks. I assumed that might be for higher workability stuff, so I thought that ~1400 would be sufficient.
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/05/2016 12:16 AM CDT
> The crafting page on elanthipedia suggests around 1175 ranks.

I find that chart to be a work of imaginative fiction for the higher tiers.
Re: Outstanding quality with no mistakes 11/05/2016 12:18 AM CDT
>I find that chart to be a work of imaginative fiction for the higher tiers.

I've found that to be the case as well.