Oiling is hard! 09/29/2016 03:00 AM CDT
> analyze hammer

You analyze the diagonal-peen hammer and learn more about its construction.
When crafting is complete this will be a type of finished metal forging tool.
Although finished, the metal will quickly rust and wear if not properly protected. POUR OIL on the hammer to complete the forging process.
From the progress so far, it looks like the hammer is masterfully-crafted.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

>get my oil from my bag

You get a flask of oil from inside your duffel bag.

> pour oil on hammer

You unwrap the cloth protecting your oil, and pour several drops over the diagonal-peen hammer. With gentle strokes you wipe the oil across the metal's surface until only a glossy sheen remains.
Roundtime: 24 sec.
Applying the final touches, you complete working on a bronze diagonal-peen hammer.

>analyze hammer
You analyze every minute detail of the diagonal-peen hammer and smile knowingly to yourself.
This appears to be a crafting tool and it is in pristine condition.
This reinforced hammer is used to pound heated metal into shape on an anvil.
The workmanship is of outstanding quality.
Assessing the hammer's durability, you determine it is marginally vulnerable to damage.
About 12 volume of metal was used in this item's construction.
This tool appears to be not very effective at increasing crafting speed.
You recognize this work as your own.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
Re: Oiling is hard! 09/29/2016 03:01 AM CDT
Is there a final (difficult) check against your ranks on that last step? Or perhaps my ranks are too low to get an accurate analyze the first time?
Re: Oiling is hard! 09/29/2016 03:25 AM CDT
There's a final check, and like all checks, it's modified by your tools. In this case, your tool is the oil, which was presumably society bought and thus lower quality.
Re: Oiling is hard! 09/29/2016 03:51 AM CDT
Oh, can oil be crafted?
Re: Oiling is hard! 09/29/2016 03:57 AM CDT
No, or at least not yet. Presumably it will be an alchemy product, eventually. In the meantime, higher quality oils are sold at HE.
Re: Oiling is hard! 09/29/2016 04:08 AM CDT
Ah ok, thanks. I'll stock up at HE assuming that they are sold again. Appreciate the info!
Re: Oiling is hard! 09/30/2016 07:49 PM CDT
Whispers of the Muse (assuming forging is your highest crafting skill) or a forging prediction should also push your skill high enough to negate that low quality tool hit.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Oiling is hard! 09/30/2016 08:22 PM CDT
>Whispers of the Muse (assuming forging is your highest crafting skill) or a forging prediction should also push your skill high enough to negate that low quality tool hit.

Interesting. It isn't my highest by a long shot and I don't have access to predictions, but this is just for training and I don't need masterfully-crafted results just for work orders. I just think it's funny that applying a simple coat of oil would be something you could screw up after masterfully forging the entire item from an ingot, but it makes sense now that I realize the quality of the oil is the culprit.

I'll keep those boosts in mind for when I actually try to make something useful in the future, although hopefully by then we will be able to craft masterful oil from alchemy (which is my highest crafting skill).