Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/06/2011 11:45 PM CST
My scholarship doesn't move past dabbling when I listen to teachers with 400+ ranks in the skill. Am I doing something wrong? A cleric friend mentions that she doesn't need to do anything to train scholarship other than listen to classes. She has more than me. Kinda hurts that being lore prime means I can't effectively learn the skill unless I devote tons of time to spellbooks and compendiums. Does anyone have any tips or guidance?

Thanks,

- Araine
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/06/2011 11:57 PM CST
>My scholarship doesn't move past dabbling when I listen to teachers with 400+ ranks in the skill.

Two things.

I believe your scholarship experience is based on how much you learn in the skill you listen to (though that may only be Teaching experience).

Being lore primary means you have a huge pool and much larger learning pulse, which will make it appear as if you're learning less, when you're not.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance Sheet:
http://angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 12:10 AM CST
>>Being lore primary means you have a huge pool and much larger learning pulse, which will make it appear as if you're learning less, when you're not.

This is a big part of it. You aren't actually learning slower by being Lore Primary, you just don't learn any faster either.

I don't really know if there are any tips to give you though, scholarship just really sucks and is insanely hard to learn unless you have a spellbook. Compendiums aren't going to help you much at all since there is only 1 chart that goes up that high in skill.

If you REALLY need to learn scholarship then there's also the art in Raven's Court - but it's also a huge timesink with very little reward compared to how long the RT's are. Oh and also one way that actually teaches scholarship awesome but costs a ton of money is doing origami first folds and then throwing the paper away

Apu
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 12:47 AM CST
>I don't really know if there are any tips to give you though, scholarship just really sucks and is insanely hard to learn unless you have a spellbook.

I'm surprised Apu doesn't know this, but STUDYing a Blacksmithing book teaches about as well as a spellbook.

Blunts for Sale:
Combat Balance Sheet:
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 05:57 AM CST
Charisma also factors in to some degree, though I'd guess Araine that your charisma probably isn't lacking.

I don't understand it fully, but I know that I learn a lot more scholarship teaching a good sized class than I ever do listening to one. That's always my first preference, to teach. I supplement that with compendium/spellbook reading (not frequently, but occasionally). As a lore secondary, a class of 3-5 people will push my scholarship to locked, usually in the time it takes me to train perception, mech, magic, etc. A bigger class will just do it that much faster.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 10:23 AM CST
Thanks for the pointers everyone, I'll definitely grab a blacksmithing book to study. That, in particular, would be an awesome addition to my spellbook and compendium regimen.

>>Charisma<<

Yeah Katt, my charisma is "solid" at 30, but it could definitely use some work, so that's something I will consider as well.

I appreciate all the useful info.

Thanks,

- Araine
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 02:26 PM CST
At close to 800 scholarship, I have a script that runs through my spellbook which takes less than 5 minutes and I get my scholarship moving pretty well. I don't learn from compendiums anymore, but if you just alternate that and a compendium you could probably lock scholarship in less than 20 minutes. So while it may not be as easy as your Cleric friend, it's best to just work with what you're given and the method I just mentioned has been working for me for about 500 ranks.

What makes me more mad is that the lore prime guilds have less actual lore behind them than other guilds. As it stands, Clerics and Moon Mages (in that order) currently have the best and the most lore-gasmic quests in the game. That's what I don't like.

- Terra
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 02:53 PM CST
>>As it stands, Clerics and Moon Mages (in that order) currently have the best and the most lore-gasmic quests in the game. That's what I don't like.<<

Agreed. I share your bitterness. However, I do have some faith in Raesh, I don't think he'll let us down. On a more topic-friendly note, thank you for the advice, I'll try using the blacksmithing books as well and report my findings as soon as I stop being too lazy to swim the Jantspyre to Haven. (Soooo lazy)

Thanks,

- Araine
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 03:55 PM CST
>As it stands, Clerics and Moon Mages (in that order) currently have the best and the most lore-gasmic quests in the game. That's what I don't like.

My frustration, as a Bard, is that not only are they lore primary with little lore behind the Guild, but they along with Moon Mages and Necromancers supposed have the longest heritage/history/traditions. It's one thing not to have much in the way of lore surrounding the Traders, say, but it seems something else for the Guild that is supposedly focused (at least partially) on history to lack so much history.

But I've heard these complaints from almost every Guild. Even some Barbarians have expressed disappointment that they don't have more in the way of history. So the grass is always greener . . .

~~
Lupdels
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 04:00 PM CST
I fail to see why there should be any connection between being lore primary (skills) and having a rich and detailed history.

Wanting a more defined history and lore is perfectly valid. But suggesting that having lore as a primary skillset is or should be in any way related to that is kind of silly.
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 04:09 PM CST
> My frustration, as a Bard, is that not only are they lore primary with little lore behind the Guild

While I'm as jealous of cool quests as the next bard, I think this is confusing two different meanings of the word "lore". Skillset placement really has nothing to do with how much personality, historical influence or general quirkiness a guild has, nor with how much of that was written down (although it may affect who is doing the writing).
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 04:55 PM CST
>> Blacksmithing Book <<

Uh... wow, I grabbed a journeyman blacksmithing book and it works as well as my spellbook in terms of moving scholarship. Great recommendation, Caraamon, best 12 plats I've ever spent. You rule.

Thanks,

- Araine
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 04:56 PM CST
>>I fail to see why there should be any connection between being lore primary (skills) and having a rich and detailed history.

I think it's more irony than anything; like if Paladin and Ranger magic was the most comprehensively explained.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 05:00 PM CST
>>I think it's more irony than anything; like if Paladin and Ranger magic was the most comprehensively explained.

I'm more upset about the irony that all 3 Lore Primary guilds have a combined zero creation systems that they are good at, while the two Lore Tertiary guilds (Rangers and Barbarians) have massive bonuses to a combined 3 high demand creation systems

Apu
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 05:34 PM CST
>>I fail to see why there should be any connection between being lore primary (skills) and having a rich and detailed history.

Fine, poor wording on my part but the Bard guild also has an intensely detailed history. We have interesting abilities and spells that could easily be connected to a quest. But instead, two other guilds dominate that field.

It just irks me that Clerics have quests for almost everything they do, and really wonderful quests at that, while the guild who's primary focus is keeping, telling, guarding history has something that barely qualifies as one.

So yes, I recognize the error in my wording. No need to dwell on that. I was just airing my frustration. And yes, I have a lot of faith in Raesh as well. I wasn't implying that I don't think things are moving in the right direction.

- Terra
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 07:38 PM CST
This jumped way off track here. Applications to lore to certain guilds might be best in the individual guild folders.

Zairyche
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have questions or comments, please email me at (Mod-Zairyche@play.net) or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at (DR-
Sidatura@play.net) or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl (DR-
Annwyl@play.net).
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 08:36 PM CST
>>I'm more upset about the irony that all 3 Lore Primary guilds have a combined zero creation systems that they are good at, while the two Lore Tertiary guilds (Rangers and Barbarians) have massive bonuses to a combined 3 high demand creation systems

This is rather silly. It's like saying someone shouldn't benefit from the expertise they've acquired through hard work in their chosen field and guild secrets.

Honestly, the creation systems probably weigh too heavily on the Lore side and too lightly on the other skills involved side. Great for arpee, I guess, but it's pretty counter-intuitive to roll up a Bard to make a good blacksmith, for instance.
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/07/2011 11:15 PM CST
If you want to get all counter-intuitive-ey, substitute any of the guilds in that statement, with the possible exception of Traders, and it sounds just as silly.

That leaves us with making it a game balance decision, and lore prime works for me since they need a niche and it makes sense with respect to the skillset's flavour.

One thing I'd like to see is that Traders get a slightly bigger crafting perk over just Lore Prime. 3 careers sounds good to me.

-Evran

Gay, geeky, and a little bit cheeky.
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/08/2011 09:38 AM CST
>>If you want to get all counter-intuitive-ey, substitute any of the guilds in that statement, with the possible exception of Traders, and it sounds just as silly.

Actually, if we're going to play that game, let's go with the suggested name for the Lore skillset: Academics.

>>That leaves us with making it a game balance decision, and lore prime works for me since they need a niche and it makes sense with respect to the skillset's flavour.

Lore prime's niche was that they can socialize -- or in the case of Traders assiduously avoid socializing -- without really affecting their circling. This isn't considered a valid niche any more. Niches aren't considered valid any more, honestly. Homogenize was the letter of the manifesto, and it was carried out faithfully.

>>One thing I'd like to see is that Traders get a slightly bigger crafting perk over just Lore Prime. 3 careers sounds good to me.

It's already been explained why this isn't going to happen and why it isn't a good idea. Simply put, even adding more slots to the progressions ruins things by making everything too common and not enabling specialization to the point of relevance.

They want it to mean something for a character to be, say, "a chakrel carver," or "a crossbow mechanic."
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/08/2011 11:00 AM CST
Academics was the proposed name for the scholarship/teaching combine not the skillset. Nor does it have anything to do with the silliness of your statement, regardless of the guild used.

Lore primes are not the only guilds that can advance without combat, nor are all Lore primes able to advance without combat, so your perceived niche doesn't exist.

6 extra techs in one discipline you already have for one guild doesn't suddenly cause specialization to vanish.

Evran

Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/08/2011 03:33 PM CST
>6 extra techs in one discipline you already have for one guild doesn't suddenly cause specialization to vanish.

Careers are 12 techs.

Blunts for Sale:
Combat Balance Sheet:
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/08/2011 03:38 PM CST
Yes, which is why 3 careers would be 6 extra techs over the 2 careers, 1 hobby Lore primes normally get.

-Evran

Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/08/2011 03:49 PM CST
> Yes, which is why 3 careers would be 6 extra techs over the 2 careers, 1 hobby Lore primes normally get.

It would also be an added skill bonus.
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/08/2011 03:58 PM CST
Neglible in the grand scheme of things.

-Evran

Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/08/2011 04:04 PM CST
3 Careers + 1 Hobby, 3 Careers but zero Hobbies, 2 Careers + 1 Hobby... it's all pretty minor in the grand scheme of things compared to the importance of just getting the Mech Lore split released and swapping all creation systems over to being based on your skill in creating vs. your skill in using. Just basing it off your ranks in the creation skills will tend to give Traders an advantage over Bards/Empaths since Traders will tend to emphasize training those skills more (and if a specific Trader doesn't tend to emphasize training their mech skills more, then they don't particularly deserve an advantage anyways).

Also one other inherent advantage that Traders already have built into the new creation systems is that we'll have the easiest time selling items that we created to other players (assuming you can actually get your hands on a shop). That alone is a much larger advantage than an extra career or extra hobby

This is probably all getting way off topic though. To stay sorta on topic - the blacksmithing book is working great for scholarship, that was a great tip :)

Apu
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/08/2011 09:11 PM CST
>>This is probably all getting way off topic though. To stay sorta on topic - the blacksmithing book is working great for scholarship, that was a great tip :)<<

Agreed and thank you. If you guys want to continue the discussion on guilds, careers, lore primes, and the mech split, the issue should *at least* be moved over to the general discussions folder. It is a good discussion that I really do not want to shut down, but this is the wrong folder for it.

Zairyche
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have questions or comments, please email me at (Mod-Zairyche@play.net) or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at (DR-
Sidatura@play.net) or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl (DR-
Annwyl@play.net).
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/14/2011 10:41 PM CST
I'm interested in learning how to do this blacksmithing part of the new craft system. Any directions on purchasing one of these:

>the blacksmithing book is working great for scholarship

Thanks!

>>"It's part of the whole unnatural abominations upon Elanthia deal."<<

-Armifer
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/14/2011 10:48 PM CST
> Any directions on purchasing one of these

Riverhaven Forging Society building, northwest of the locksmith shop.

Apprentice book I suppose works, journeyman same, master book is what I use, but that's a 50 plat investment.
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/16/2011 03:32 PM CST
Do you have to spend any points in blacksmithing to learn from the books?
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/16/2011 03:42 PM CST
No. You don't need to learn any techniques at all in order to craft anything under any of the systems: it just helps if you do.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Lore Primes and Scholarship 02/16/2011 03:45 PM CST
Nope. Spending slots on techs only makes crafting easier in some way, so it might impact which pages you need to study to learn well, but its not required.

-Evran