Possible Bug With Teaching 10/02/2016 08:10 PM CDT
A friend of mine had just over one rank in Heavy Thrown. I had no knowledge of it at all.

She started teaching me a class on Heavy Thrown and, in an hour, I had MORE ranks than her. By the time she finished teaching and our XP pools drained, I had 8 ranks and she had 6.

Seems kind of backward. I should point out this was class only, we were not hunting at the time.

__
"Technically correct" is the worst kind of correct.
Re: Possible Bug With Teaching 10/02/2016 08:25 PM CDT
I think with the Teaching changes it doesn't matter if the person has higher skill than you anymore.

And if I understand the skill correctly, the higher your Teaching skill the more exp the students get per pulse. But you don't get that same amount per pulse in the skill you are teaching. So starting at roughly equal ranks as you two did the student should outpace the teacher in experience gained in that skill, particularly at lower ranks.

Now, does it make logical sense for the student to have more ranks than the teacher? In a way, no, but I always just looked at it like maybe the person with lower ranks knows a few tricks that they could teach to someone with overall more skill in that area. Something that the higher-skilled person didn't know already for whatever reason.
Re: Possible Bug With Teaching 10/02/2016 10:04 PM CDT
Skill ranks are pretty weird in the single digits.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Possible Bug With Teaching 10/03/2016 01:55 AM CDT
Depends on the guild (meaning skill placement) sometimes too.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Possible Bug With Teaching 11/03/2016 11:52 AM CDT
>Now, does it make logical sense for the student to have more ranks than the teacher? In a way, no, but I always just looked at it like maybe the person with lower ranks knows a few tricks that they could teach to someone with overall more skill in that area. Something that the higher-skilled person didn't know already for whatever reason.

actually it does make sense, a good teacher could grasp how to teach about it better and think up better ways to use it regardless of how skilled they are with the actual skill itself - think medieval history teachers that could tell you all about weapons and armor they've never used - comes down to practical versus theoretical usage