Teaching issues 09/20/2015 06:35 PM CDT
I seem to be having some issues with teaching.

I have 1100+ ranks of scholarship and 192 ranks of thievery and yet I can't teach thievery very well to a thief with 500s in thievery and 800s scholarship. Meaning, I can't even keep him at 1/34.

This same thief can teach me a weapon skill in which I have 582 more ranks. I can get up to 11/34 easily.

This makes scholarship seem entirely useless. Would this situation improve if I had like 300 or 400 ranks of thievery?

I'll test out teaching him various survival skills and see.
Re: Teaching issues 09/20/2015 07:31 PM CDT

Is he observing the class?
Re: Teaching issues 09/20/2015 07:37 PM CDT
The formula for Scholarship and teaching isn't very nice when you have a lot more Scholarship than your students. I forget who explained it somewhere in the Bard folders (maybe Raesh), but it was acknowledged that it wasn't very productive in situations like yours and it needed to be rewritten.
Re: Teaching issues 09/20/2015 07:41 PM CDT
I see.

No, he's listening.

I tried with a survival skill he has like 840ish in and I have 430ish, forget the exact numbers. I was able to keep him at 1/34 - 2/34. I didn't pay very close attention, but it didn't appear that he went down to 0/34 after a few minutes of teaching.

Well, I hope it gets fixed. It's frustrating.
Re: Teaching issues 09/20/2015 07:55 PM CDT
I kinda wonder if it isn't just best to change how teaching works entirely at this point. It's such an outdated system there has to be a better way to do it by now.

Make it work more like research. You teach a subject, people listen in, instead of them getting little pulses in the skill every few minutes it works up to one big jolt of field experience. Have skill disparity increase or reduce the amount of time it takes. Then you're both guaranteed X number of mindstates.

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Teaching issues 09/22/2015 05:30 PM CDT
Any GMs who can take a look at this, please?