Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 10:50 AM CST
I've never really had to train Scholarship seriously before, but it's one of my Lores now so them's the breaks :P

So I was hoping I could get some advice on how to train this skill? I have mid 700 ranks.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 10:56 AM CST
Buy a crafting book and study your way through it. I believe the master weaponsmithing book has the most entries, so that's your best bet. If you use bagpipes or a one-hander, you can work your Performance simultaneously.
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 10:59 AM CST
Teaching and scholarship actions both help. I've found a 3-4 person class teaching them one of the new skills (Crafting) teaches me really well, where as before if I was teaching a class of 8+ people it took me more than a half hour to lock.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 10:59 AM CST
Teaching/listening to a class

Empath compendiums

Spellbook

There may be guild-specific ways for you, as I vaguely recollect recalls granting scholarship under certain conditions? In any case, I wouldn't know much about those.
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 11:00 AM CST
>>Buy a crafting book and study your way through it. I believe the master weaponsmithing book has the most entries, so that's your best bet. If you use bagpipes or a one-hander, you can work your Performance simultaneously.

Crafting books slowed to a trickle for me considerably at around 450 scholarship ranks. Has that changed in 3.0, or do you have a method that trains it somehow anyways?
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 11:01 AM CST
Mine still locks rather quickly and effectively from just teaching for a bit. You might also try getting one of the crafting books and studying the instructions therein (study instruction, turn page, study instruction, etc), but I haven't tried that post-3.0. That's what I did when I didn't have any students around. Also, anatomy compendiums still train scholarship when studying them. Good if you don't have a pet bleeder, too.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 11:01 AM CST
>I've never really had to train Scholarship seriously before, but it's one of my Lores now so them's the breaks :P
So I was hoping I could get some advice on how to train this skill? I have mid 700 ranks.

Assuming you mean outside of teaching..

The high end anatomy charts from Gersvinda's Natural Studies guildfest shop http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Gersvinda%27s_Natural_Studies_(2)
You can find them on trader tables or for sale by other players occasionally.

Tried reading crafting books?
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 11:03 AM CST
Hmm, I'll have to try some of those new anatomy charts and crafting books. I know teaching works as an option.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

~ Leilond
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 11:04 AM CST
> Crafting books slowed to a trickle for me considerably at around 450 scholarship ranks. Has that changed in 3.0, or do you have a method that trains it somehow anyways?

I just study a page, then turn to the next page and repeat. Every 8 seconds I assess my instrument, and every 60 seconds I appraise my bundle. Both appraisal and scholarship lock before I finish the book.
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 11:20 AM CST
Uh, why doesn't anyone bring up recall or evoke? Recall is mindblowingly good mobile scholarship, and didn't Raesh just open it to everyone?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 11:40 AM CST
>>Recall is mindblowingly good mobile scholarship, and didn't Raesh just open it to everyone?

While I can get from 0/34 to 2/34 or 3/34 by recalling a gryphon with low 400s scholarship, it's on a timer that pretty much prevents me from getting it any higher.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 12:46 PM CST
>Crafting books slowed to a trickle for me considerably at around 450 scholarship ranks. Has that changed in 3.0, or do you have a method that trains it somehow anyways?

Not sure what you're doing wrong but I study, turn, study, turn.

Scholarship: 965 12% concentrating (9/34)
[Script aborted! (Run time: 195 seconds): studycraft.cmd]

From clear I got to 10/34 but it pulsed before I copied it. That's 3.25 minutes.
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 12:48 PM CST
RECALL wasn't really a good staple for training Scholarship reliably back when I had lower ranks. Now that I have higher ranks, I didn't think it would even be a plausible option, but I could be wrong.

I honestly have no idea how well they scale now given Raesh's most recent tweaks. Are you saying you can train Scholarship at high ranks well with the new RECALL?

~ Leilond
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 01:00 PM CST
>> I honestly have no idea how well they scale now given Raesh's most recent tweaks. Are you saying you can train Scholarship at high ranks well with the new RECALL?

People get confused when it comes to an action "teaching" and it being used in "training."
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 01:22 PM CST
Except for HISTORY, EVOKE and AREA, recalls are no longer skill based and don't teach.

GENT
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 01:31 PM CST
>Except for HISTORY, EVOKE and AREA, recalls are no longer skill based and don't teach.

Recall <creature> teaches.
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 01:32 PM CST
My favorite scholarship learning place is the artwork in Raven's Court in Crossings. I seriously wish there were more places like this, not only for the convenience of training but also the really cool items in there.

Nikpack
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 01:44 PM CST
>>Crafting books slowed to a trickle for me considerably at around 450 scholarship ranks. Has that changed in 3.0, or do you have a method that trains it somehow anyways?

I've never had any problem moving scholarship at a decent as Lore Primary at ~800 ranks using a crafting book (nothing more complicated than Study, Turn, repeat). Also as mentioned above, I use a Bones to train performance at the same time

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 01:47 PM CST
Just tried a crafting book, and it indeed seemed to be working fine, nice. Not sure what issue I had before, perhaps I didn't observe it long enough.

>>Recall <creature> teaches.

There must be some calculations involved then, because I couldn't move it off 0/34 with recall critter.
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 02:00 PM CST
>>There must be some calculations involved then, because I couldn't move it off 0/34 with recall critter.

There's a really severe timer on it that might be tied into using other recalls.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 03:26 PM CST
Technically there is no longer "Recall History" - it merged into the baseline "Recall" system. That can be used on an area (with just "Recall"), a creature (Recall <creature>), a player, a thing, whatever. This is exactly how Evoke works right now.

Currently the area ones aren't converted, so you won't be able to access those. Any of the above are contested and if the challenge is within a (fairly generous) range of your skill you'll learn. Once you've learned there's a 15 minute timer until you can learn from any of them again.

Recall is not meant to be the backbone of a training regime, but what you get from using the system more naturally should be a useful supplement.

Balancing it is tricky (and it may not be even close to right at the moment). I don't want people to feel like they need to sit near a recall of their proper level and just recall it over and over to learn scholarship, but I want there to be a decent reward for when people do find them.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/21/2013 07:27 PM CST
How exactly is the teaching "difficulty" of a given critter calculated for recall experience? It it fairly analogous to combat ranks? I was unable to get scholarship moving at all still, tried a few critters keeping in mind the timer.
Re: Best way to train Scholarship? 01/22/2013 12:43 AM CST

I personally like doing first fold of an origami pattern, I swear it's been a little faster for me than a crafting book, but it obviously requires you to figure out and then get the correct pattern and have a lot of paper handy.