Did bagpipes get harder to play? 12/28/2009 04:21 PM CST
All of the sudden (today) it seems I can't play my bagpipes as well as I had been. I swear I had been playing a lullaby with the slightest hint of difficulty for a while but today when I tried the best I could squeeze out of the pipes (while still playing with a slight hint of difficulty) was an off-key arpeggio.
Has anyone else noticed bagpipes got harder?
I've got 190 ranks in winds and I'm not a bard if that help this make sense to anyone.
Re: Did bagpipes get harder to play? 12/28/2009 04:34 PM CST
That's odd. Did they get wet, by any chance?

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Did bagpipes get harder to play? 12/28/2009 04:34 PM CST
<<I've got 190 ranks in winds and I'm not a bard if that help this make sense to anyone.

I'm surprised you were able to play a lullaby at all with those ranks... Bagpipes take a heck of a lot more skill than 190 ranks to play anything more than the easiest songs on, even as a Bard... They're the hardest wind instrument by a large margin, with the possible exception of a concertina. For comparison, with 360 winds and 497 Music Theory my bard can play a lullaby without difficulty, but also without excellence. He can only get up to a rumba before slight difficulty sets in.

Wearing armour may account for any differences, or changes to to Agility or Charisma if you have anything that buffs either or both of those. The cleanliness and repair of the instrument factors in as well.

Also, are you sure you were playing your bagpipes and not another instrument? Sometimes I forget to stow my instrument, or think I've stowed it but haven't because of RT or mistyping, and take the new one out in my left hand and end up playing on the one still in my right hand by mistake...

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Did bagpipes get harder to play? 12/29/2009 04:25 AM CST
The bagpipes didn't get wet, but the did get damaged somehow, however I had a bard repair them for me. I thought that brought them back up to full condition, perhaps not though?
And I am fairly sure I had been playing a lullaby on it previously because I remember someone commenting on how could anyone fall asleep to a lullaby played on the bagpipes.
I checked for armor immediately, and didn't have any buffs.
I won't worry about it too much because I was also surprised I had been able to play those first couple of songs with slight difficulty with my skills. I guess I'll just have to jump back to my older wind instruments.