Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/13/2019 06:56 PM CDT
The amount of Outfitting learned from Origami seems to be less that the amound of mechanical lore that was learned from Origami. Could this please be looked into? Thank you.

- Felicini
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/13/2019 08:02 PM CDT
This would be a good way for some people to start with outfitting. If possible, i would recommend it work the same as braiding does now with engineering. learn up to roughly 50-70 ranks, until it stops completely.
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/13/2019 10:13 PM CDT

Braiding used to teach into the hundreds of ranks. I'd request it be bumped up as well.
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/14/2019 08:51 AM CDT
Yes, the training rates for the old mechanical lore trainers were reduced. The logic behind the change is that crafts are best trained as crafts. While you might learn something about Engineering from braiding grass, you aren't very likely to become an expert engineer capable of making masterful quality top-end bows and crossbows because you can braid a rope.

The systems such as braiding and origami were left in and tied to their respective crafting skills as a nod to characters that may want to pursue alternative crafting means. They might be useful to meet some lore guild requirements, but they will not be the most efficient way to train a particular skill.

- Ynami
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/14/2019 09:39 AM CDT

Braiding grass not teaching as well makes sense. Origami doesn't. Braiding grass is braiding grass is braiding grass. Origami has different tiers. There are patterns that are more difficult. Making a Gilded Phoenix is a LOT more difficult than making a hat. Origami is also supposed to be Artistry too is it not? Does that mean that all artistry crafts won't teach Outfitting as well as making clothes or armor?
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/14/2019 09:42 AM CDT
> While you might learn something about Engineering from braiding grass, you aren't very likely to become an expert engineer capable of making masterful quality top-end bows

You mean unless you braided grass for the last 5 years and suddenly dumped that into enchanting or engineering along the way?

I think there comes a point where we have to say playability is as important as realism in our fantasy game. Not everyone wants to craft or sit in combat all day, but they do have guild requirements they can't just ignore. Think of the non-combat moon mage. They need 3 lores + scholarship. Two of those lores will be performance + Appraisal, and many used Mech Lore as the 3rd (370 ranks to 150th). It was slow but viable. Those who already hit 150 can ignore it and keep playing. Those who haven't will need to pick up a craft they don't want to pick up.

> They might be useful to meet some lore guild requirements,

Braiding was already the slowest way you could train up a craft, which was already slow by design. Braiding grass and vines was also free, viable, and could be done almost anywhere. It didn't require combat. It didn't require paper sold in only a few locations. It didn't require any additional tools, if you didn't want to interact with those systems. It didn't require $700 almanacs. It didn't require complicated scripting. Quietly reducing it without any player discussion was a bad call.
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/14/2019 05:03 PM CDT
These arguments are kind of silly when knitting is easier to do than origami, teaches better, and is cheaper. If anything, people should be asking for origami to get its own chapter in the artistry discipline which will then consolidate it with the new crafting system and make it a better experience in all respects.
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/14/2019 06:13 PM CDT

You're missing a few details that may clear this up.

> knitting is easier to do than origami

Knitting will take you to challenging patterns. That's about mid to late 500s. Origami would take you into the into the 1100s - 1200s. New knitting patterns would be nice, but it still doesn't answer the braiding option which would take you well into the 400s without lugging around any tools and very minimal scripts.

> people should be asking for origami to get its own chapter in the artistry discipline

How many years will that take? This is no slight for the GMs, but it is a hard reality. Asking for a new, cosmetic discipline is asking for low-priority work. It likely wouldn't bubble up for years, if at all. It's much more likely that numbers could be tweaked than entire systems created.

> make it a better experience in all respects

Subjectiveness on "better experience" aside, having an option to learn your mandatory lore skills to meet guild reqs without requiring extra tools or combat is something that is now gone. It was killed in the figurative dead of night, supposedly to bring in realism, and people are rightfully asking questions about whether it was the best option.
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/15/2019 06:32 AM CDT
There has been alot of talk about about improving the social aspect of this game. While yes you can bring people into a crafting area, Origami is (was) a skill you can learn while talking to friends at the Bin, outside the War Mage Guild, hanging out anywhere. I think its sad that it is teaching so badly (haven't fully tested but so far my experience is not teaching well in the 300's), that that is no longer a valid option.

- Felicini
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/15/2019 04:51 PM CDT
All outfitting crafting can be done anywhere currently, so that's not a unique property of origami.

Origami is already uniquley set up to be a good fit with new craftng. It already has tiers across lots of skill, and the cradting process is roughly similar already. Modernizing it would be the best option. I agree that it shouldn't be made equal in experience gain to the main crafting system in the current state. I also don't understand the expectation that crafts like braiding or origami that don't make use of modern crafting would teach the same once divorced of mech lore. We always knew mech lore was going away, and it doesn't make sense that they would keep old systems around as viable trainers of the new skills. That defeats a significant part of the reason for the new skills.
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/16/2019 08:54 AM CDT
Behind the scenes, origami would need a rewrite from the ground up to work with the crafting (or any other) system. Not saying it couldn't ever happen, but it would not be as easy as changing a few lines of code and calling it good.

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/16/2019 01:54 PM CDT
Oh, I didn't say it would be easy to code at all. I was just pointing out that the current design and concept of it is similar enough to new crafting that a lot of the design work would already be done and it's an obvious fit to be modernized.
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/16/2019 02:13 PM CDT
Perhaps Origami could easily be switched back to exactly how it worked last week except it teaches outfitting?

- Felicini
Re: Learning Outfitting via Origami 06/16/2019 02:26 PM CDT
<<haven't fully tested but so far my experience is not teaching well in the 300's

Knitting teaches very well in that range.