Forge Etiquette 10/05/2019 09:37 PM CDT
What is the general etiquette on using a Forge?

I was in the Crafting Society in Fang Cove today, and was getting ready to make a product using the Anvil. I entered the crafting room, and as I entered, Vormulac was using the crucible to make an ingot. I continued thru the room into the room with the anvil, and was using the Anvil when Vormulac came in. This is the discussion that followed:

[Fang Cove Forging Society, Crucible]
Crinkled patches of metal stain the dolomite floor. The splattering becomes more numerous and expands to form concentric circles near the room's center, where a large granite crucible hangs over a large fire. You also see an ingot cutter, a pile of fuel, a large waste bucket and a curtained doorframe.
Also here: Divine Hammer Vormulac who is emanating a bright holy aura.
Obvious exits: south.

You go south.
[Fang Cove Forging Society, Forge]
An octagonal forge situated in the room's center emits a ruddy glow illuminating the basalt blocks framing it. In the corner, a large grindstone casts a gigantic shadow upon the wall, and wisps of steam rise up from the recently used slack tub and anvil. You also see a pile of fuel and a large waste bucket.
Obvious exits: north.
>put my ingot on anvil
You put your ingot on the iron anvil.

Divine Hammer Vormulac just arrived.

Vormulac asks, "Are all the rest of rooms full?"

You say, "I don't know."

Vormulac says, "Just finished my ingot was about use anivil and ye came flying in."
>
You say, "Sorry,there are never enough spots to forge."

Vormulac says, "Usaly this one is entirely empty."

You ask, "Really? You're the 4th person I've seen in this room today?"

You say, "I came here hoping to avoid a crowd, and it's jsut as bad."
>
Vormulac says, "When someone is using a room its pretty rude to run threw and grab the anvil."

You say, "There are two rooms, how does anyone know you plan on using all of it."

You say, "All yours."

Vormulac says, "Theres a door you had to walk threw and these 2 rooms have a arch conecting them ment to forge a ingot then continue your work."

You ask, "And?"
>
Vormulac says, "Escuse me."

--- At this point I left the room and went to the entrance to the Crafting Society.

Divine Hammer Vormulac just arrived.

Vormulac says, "Quite rude i got a good mind to throw you over my knee."
>
You say, "You do not own the whole forge because you happen to be in one room."
>
With the speed of a striking snake, Vormulac catches you in the throat with the edge of his flattened palm, knocking the air out of you and sending your vocal cords into shock!

Who was in the wrong? Me? Vormulac? Both of us?
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/05/2019 10:42 PM CDT

General etiquette is if someone is in the room then they get first dibs on the anvil or crucible. If he left the anvil to go smelt an ingot then he's given up the anvil. The "RP" that resulted wasn't bad in itself. It may have fit the character to think they own everything, but I'd assist on the thump. That was uncalled for.
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/05/2019 10:57 PM CDT
THUMP is not limited for use "only" in dealing with OOC or disruptive behavior. If someone wants to THUMP someone and they have the ability to do so, for whatever reason (Attacking them, stealing from them, kicking them, looking at them funny, etc.), then they're perfectly within their right to do so. Period.

THUMP is considered an RP tool and can be used as a "peaceful" alternative to simply lopping off someone's head because that was your only recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTE: ANYONE with any type of warning automatically loses their ability to THUMP for 6 months. Also, if you get a NEW warning, your "No Thumping " counter resets to 6 months. In other words, if you've had a spotty past (or are having a spotty "present") and want to be able to use this ability again, you'll just need to show us that you are willing to earn it back.

Players under 5th level who are THUMPed by players of a sufficiently higher level will drop whatever is in their hands, adding another tool to the arsenal of the players to prevent some types of graverobbing problems by throwaway characters.

Finally, since sometimes little snerts grow up and become BIG snerts, players of sufficient level are allowed/able to THUMP ANY players 20 levels below them.

Please do not ASSIST or REPORT to complain about being THUMPED, or to ask why you can't THUMP.

Without knowing the policy on Thump, I did report him. After looking up the policy, I tried to cancel the Report, but it appears that a Report, unlike an Assist, cannot be cancelled. Regardless, he was within his rights to Thump for any reason he likes.

In the end though, I do wish to just know the general etiquette. There are simply just not enough places to Forge, and it is inevitable that two people are going to end up in the same place at the same time.
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/05/2019 11:13 PM CDT
PPPS.

If you own a home, can you have a Workshop in the home? I am just looking a place to Forge, when I want to, without having to wait for a Crucible or Anvil to become available.
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/06/2019 08:33 AM CDT

I guess you're right, but that really feels at odds with the current consent policy. It's like a loop hole in consent. It was made to deal with snerts, not to be one.
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/06/2019 08:34 AM CDT

You have to buy an anvil of your own. They're expensive. It's much easier to just get JJ and place them in a forge no one goes to.
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/06/2019 08:57 AM CDT

Wow.... really.... We are going to get upset about THUMP now?

How about we set up a DR #METOO! for THUMP?

Come on guys really?

Rifkinn
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/06/2019 11:40 AM CDT
> I am just looking a place to Forge, when I want to, without having to wait for a Crucible or Anvil to become available.

If you have Discord, DM me at Ajalynn#7807 or talk to Aislynn in game. I can show you a secret squirrel forge that really is secret squirrel. :)
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/06/2019 05:08 PM CDT

Wait...you can buy an Anvil? is it crafted or just purchasable? still gain exp for using it in a home?
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/06/2019 06:34 PM CDT
I rarely see anyone else use the forges in Ratha and they have 3 forge rooms as well as 3 smelting rooms.

Inside each of us, there is the seed of both good and evil. It's a constant struggle as to which one will win. And one cannot exist without the other. Eric Burdon
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/evil
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/06/2019 08:52 PM CDT

> Wait...you can buy an Anvil? is it crafted or just purchasable? still gain exp for using it in a home?

You can buy 30 use ones in the simustore, or the unlimited ones that pop up from time to time, like this one: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Item:Magma-red_wand_capped_with_a_fist-sized_steel_anvil They're pricey, but they have a side benefit of allowing you to redeem deeds too. I don't know about whether they still give XP in a home, but I don't know why they wouldn't.
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/06/2019 09:39 PM CDT
> I don't know about whether they still give XP in a home, but I don't know why they wouldn't.

So long as someone hasn't been busted in the home for AFK scripting, you should be OK.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/07/2019 06:42 AM CDT
When crafting in a home, keep in mind that items left on the floor may be lost should you log out or lose connection. Additionally, some items may break the home if you need to interact with them while they are on the floor or attached to furniture.

>>GRIM45: So long as someone hasn't been busted in the home for AFK scripting, you should be OK.

FYI, we no longer disable experience inside the home (for all players) when a player fails a script check inside a home. Instead, the character who received the warning permanently loses the ability to gain experience in all homes.

GM Cordulia
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/12/2019 05:20 AM CDT

Vormulac says, "When someone is using a room its pretty rude to run threw and grab the anvil."

This is just plain wrong. If you are using a crucible and the anvil is open it is completely in his right to go use it. As fr as I know this has always been the practice. I have probably been passed by hundreds of times while using a crucible.
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/14/2019 04:24 PM CDT

Which societies have crucibles and anvils in the same room?
Re: Forge Etiquette 10/16/2019 05:54 PM CDT
There's 1 room in The Crossing Forging Society building with a crucible in the same room. the rest are in different rooms.

There may be a good reason for this. I had an issue that i ASSISTed for, where i had trouble using the anvil because something was left in the crucible. It caused a problem with the parser that prevented me from using a shovel to fix a problem, which caused my quality to suffer. Luckily not enough to hurt my workorders, but it was confusing.