Instructions 12/27/2017 03:12 PM CST
Would it be helpful if each craft had a CRAFT HELP that listed OOC verb/tool/process info?

If so, did anyone have time to help me come up with the wording/organization of each command the guide?

For example...

CRAFT HELP LIST

You see topics for:

BLACKSMITHING
WEAPONFORGING
ARMORFORGING
CLOTHESMAKING
KNITTING
LEATHERMAKING
ARRORMAKING
BOWCRAFTING
CROSSBOWCRAFTING
etc...

CRAFT HELP BLACKSMITH

Blacksmithing Most Items

1. Put ingot on anvil
2. Get Hammer and Tongs
3. POUND INGOT WITH HAMMER/MALLET
4. POUND [ITEM] WITH HAMMER/MALLET

5a. PUSH FUEL WITH SHOVEL (if fire goes out)
5b. PUSH BELLOWS (if fire dies down)

6. PUSH TUB (when item needs cooling)
7. POUR OIL ON ITEM (to complete process)

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Instructions 12/27/2017 03:38 PM CST

Honestly? Not really. The elanthipedia pages already list out everything you need, and replicating that in game seems like a bit much. I'd just point them to the help pages for each craft. If someone's a purist then they can read the books in the game already.
Re: Instructions 12/27/2017 03:46 PM CST
The problem with crafting is that people don't want to either use triggers/scripts to respond to certain situations and/or analyze the item each time a situation pops up to know how to address it. People want to literally type "craft shoe" ten times instead of "push needle at shoe", "turn scissors at shoe", and "tap hammer at shoe".

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Instructions 12/27/2017 04:37 PM CST
Yes, as long as it's obvious such a thing exists to a newcomer.
Re: Instructions 12/27/2017 07:02 PM CST
>>Would it be helpful if each craft had a CRAFT HELP that listed OOC verb/tool/process info?<<

I think it would greatly help those who have never crafted before. Elanthipdia can sometimes be a maze to navigate, and if a change occurs, can take a long time for it to be brought up to date.

>>People want to literally type "craft shoe" ten times instead of "push needle at shoe", "turn scissors at shoe", and "tap hammer at shoe".<<

I disagree with on this, Teveshszat. Maybe the scrpters want it this way, but those of us who don't script, would prefer the variable ways of crafting in order to break the monotony. If we just did "craft shoe" ten times, crafting would get boring really fast.

I love everything about the holidays: the decorations, the parties, and spending time with friends and family. What I love most is that feeling of giving back. Every bit counts. Brad Goreski
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.c
Re: Instructions 12/27/2017 07:10 PM CST

>Maybe the scrpters want it this way, but those of us who don't script, would prefer the variable ways of crafting in order to break the monotony.

Scripters don't care what the input is. You write it once and then its done. And, most of us I'd guess, script crafting because of how much more complicated it is. I would play in combat by hand. I would never work crafting by hand.

Jalika
Re: Instructions 12/28/2017 08:12 AM CST
>>I disagree with on this, Teveshszat. Maybe the scrpters want it this way, but those of us who don't script, would prefer the variable ways of crafting in order to break the monotony. If we just did "craft shoe" ten times, crafting would get boring really fast.

My point was the direct opposite: one of the typical things people who do not want to script crafting (for whatever reason) tend to have complaints about is the various verbs that need to either be remembered or require a player to analyze the item to see what to do next. This might be different for you, which is fine, but it’s similar to how some players prefer to type “attack” during combat than do specific actions.

One of the suggestions I’ve seen come up every so often isn’t just for a toolbox thing that stacks all tools, but that lets you use the toolbox directly as a proxy for whatever tool you should be using.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Instructions 12/28/2017 09:14 AM CST
In my opinion a better fix would be including what the next step should be when you LOOK at an item you're crafting. The only reason analyze sucks is because of the RT
Re: Instructions 12/28/2017 10:18 AM CST
>>In my opinion a better fix would be including what the next step should be when you LOOK at an item you're crafting. The only reason analyze sucks is because of the RT

I feel like STUDY would be a better option, but otherwise that would be a good solution to having people who don't memorize/script things get penalized with extra RTs.

Re: Instructions 12/28/2017 12:13 PM CST
>>I feel like STUDY would be a better option, but otherwise that would be a good solution to having people who don't memorize/script things get penalized with extra RTs.

I suggested LOOK because you can use in during RT but adding that information to any of these verbs could make sense:

LOOK
STUDY
GLANCE
DESCRIBE
PEER
EXAMINE
APPRAISE
Re: Instructions 12/28/2017 01:00 PM CST
My bias is toward STUDY mainly because I think it would be good to continue to train players to understand it as the "what verbs can be used on this item" command, but yeah any of those can work.

Re: Instructions 12/29/2017 11:18 AM CST
Ok, we can probably swing that. So if I made a non-RT verb that lets you figure out what to do next it'd help a lot?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Instructions 12/29/2017 11:25 AM CST
>>So if I made a non-RT verb that lets you figure out what to do next it'd help a lot?

It would be pretty neat.

Re: Instructions 12/29/2017 12:40 PM CST
I used to make bows & arrows for my rangers way long ago, it was simpler. I come back 10 yrs later & get "well, you have to do this first, then you have to pound this, then stain that then glue this, etc".
It became a right PITA so I gave up on trying to make the first item. Which is a shame, I have old flights, heads, glues, etc in my vaults just sitting around.

So, to get something (outside a script) even if it was a short RT verb would be a big help.

So, you've got a second that a verb or something would be extremely helpful.
Re: Instructions 12/30/2017 09:22 AM CST
> So if I made a non-RT verb that lets you figure out what to do next it'd help a lot?

Love this idea!

~Hunter Hanryu
>You know how map makers use to be "Here be dragons"? Old DR code is like that. Except instead of dragons there are Lovecraftian horrors made out of well-intentioned psuedo-code.~Raesh
Re: Instructions 12/31/2017 12:09 PM CST
<<Ok, we can probably swing that. So if I made a non-RT verb that lets you figure out what to do next it'd help a lot?>>

That would be nice, even better would be if the game gave us what you need to do next. Used to we would get a sentence saying "you need to do __________ next." Don't know if that is even possible, but it'd be nice.

Bluefalcon