Toolbox Mechanic 12/24/2017 09:34 PM CST
Howdy folks. I was considering taking a stab at a toolbox type item. The game engine is quite limited for what I can do, so I'm trying to scope it realistically.

Would something like this be helpful?

A Tinkered tool box/belt, or an Enchanted tool ring. Tier 4 contains space for 6 tools or so. A lot of this depends on how efficient I can make the memory usage...

You can tap the box/belt/ring to cycle its adjective between each Crafting skill and Discipline. Or dye it to give it a color for the adjective.

The nouns placed on the item must be unique. You TURN the box/belt/ring TO TOOL, and it readies that tool so it can be used for the next operation.

I know of no way to mechanically allow a single verb to take the place of multiple tool verbs, so you'll still need to use the syntax properly. But it will condense your tools down into a single item, and keep it organized in a single, non-container spot for easy-access. It will also allow you to use it without holding onto the tool which could be handy.

SHAKE box/belt/ring will dump all the contained tools at your feet for easy repair/sorting.

Might have some small modifiers for each variety. For example, "expansive" (extra tools), "rugged" (reduced chance of tool damage), or "compact" (reduced total weight).

Please let me know if you think this would be worth the time investment!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Toolbox Mechanic 12/24/2017 09:46 PM CST

Questions.

1. This sounds like a yes, but I want to verify. Will the toolbox reduce item count or will it work like a deed (one physical item, multiple items in the inventory count)? If it doesn't, then it'll feel like the tie system. More complexity than just putting everything into the blue sack, and more hassle on top of that.

2. Will I be able to use it like a lockpicking ring, or will I need to remove the tool to use it?

2a. Will something like this work.
> Turn toolbox to hammer
> Pound ingot on anvil with hammer

2b. Or do I have to do something like this?
> Turn toolbox to hammer
> Get hammer from toolbox
> Turn toolbox to tongs
> stow hammer
> Get tongs from toolbox
> Stow toolbox
> Get hammer
> Pound ingot with hammer

If the latter, I don't see myself using this, as today, I can

> Get hammer from sack in backpack
> Get tongs from sack in backpack
> Pound ingot with hammer

3. Can I repair the tool while it's in the toolbox?

4. Can the toolbox just forge the item for me? I mainly joke, but kind of not. Even if I still have the RT. Basically, put all of the items into the toolbox, push a button, get some RT + messaging, and your product comes out.

5. Will there be size limits? For example, can I put a pyramid in the toolbox?

If #1 is a yes, then I'd likely use this if only as a carrying device.
Re: Toolbox Mechanic 12/24/2017 11:48 PM CST
>>Will the toolbox reduce item count

That is the intent. Otherwise I agree, it doesn't make much sense to do.

>>Will I be able to use it like a lockpicking ring, or will I need to remove the tool to use it?

No, it will work like this -

> Turn toolbox to hammer
> look toolbox
>> You see a hammer sitting on top of the toolbox, ready to be used...
> Pound ingot on anvil with toolbox

> Turn toolbox to tongs
> look toolbox
>> You see some tongs on top of the toolbox, ready to be used...
> Turn sword on anvil with toolbox
> ... etc

>>3. Can I repair the tool while it's in the toolbox?

I might allow repairing of the toolbox which would repair everything inside of it at once.

>>5. Will there be size limits? For example, can I put a pyramid in the toolbox?

Generally only tools that can be used for crafting would fit. Pyramids are for material refining and so wouldn't go in there.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Toolbox Mechanic 12/25/2017 12:57 AM CST
Ooooh, you could do chatelaines for outfitting. I altered a tie item to be one IG, but the functionality would be even more useful with this mechanic.

> Turn chatelaine to scissors
> Look chatelaine
> You see a pair of scissors pushed to the front of your chatelaine, ready to be used ...
> Cut cloth with my chatelaine
Re: Toolbox Mechanic 12/25/2017 05:35 AM CST
Kodius,

I would love to see such a toolbox for the professions. You make it repairable too, and I'll toast you with eggnog all day.

Samsaren
Re: Toolbox Mechanic 12/25/2017 07:37 AM CST

> No, it will work like this -

Love it.

> I might allow repairing of the toolbox which would repair everything inside of it at once.

That would be amazing.

> Generally only tools that can be used for crafting would fit. Pyramids are for material refining and so wouldn't go in there.

Fair trade-off. I would use this, so long as it didn't cost a fortune in the simustore or something. I'd love to see this extended to a refining toolbox if the technology proved to be a success, but I imagine the item in an item in an item would prove problematic.
Re: Toolbox Mechanic 12/25/2017 07:39 AM CST
That does sound like it could be pretty useful. Personally, I'd be thrilled if you could manage to cut the WITH <TOOL> bit out of the syntax and just have it check to see if one of your hands has the right tool for that action, and use that. That would go a pretty long way to make the process more user friendly.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Toolbox Mechanic 12/25/2017 04:26 PM CST
Love the idea! I've wanted to get more into crafting, but the item count made that inadvisable for me.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Toolbox Mechanic 12/25/2017 05:06 PM CST
Yes please. I'd prefer the noun of the 'tool box' isn't 'ring' or 'box' though.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Toolbox Mechanic 12/25/2017 08:23 PM CST
Love the idea! If you make this happen how can I bribe you into converting the toolbox I won at an auction long ago to work like this? :D

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Item:Polished_haralun_toolbox_set_with_a_simple_gold_lock

~Hunter Hanryu
>You know how map makers use to be "Here be dragons"? Old DR code is like that. Except instead of dragons there are Lovecraftian horrors made out of well-intentioned psuedo-code.~Raesh