Analyze Suggestions 01/31/2017 12:11 AM CST
Been brainstorming ways to make having lore primary or lore secondary skillset more attractive outside of crafting systems, and most of the ideas came with the analyze command.

1) Lore primaries get a -1 bonus to minimum ANALYZE roundtime, sort of like how survival primaries can hide quicker.

2) Max strength of the debuff (or chance to stun etc.) is determined by skillset placement. Either a linear model of increasing cap, or lore primaries simply get a bonus to "capped" debuff strength if they succeed in the skill check.

3) # of maneuvers to complete the combo is determined by skillset placement (tert = 3 attacks, secondary = 2 attack, primary = 1 attack), or modified by such. With sufficient tactics skills I feel a lore primary should be able to complete the "combos" with one maneuver, such that the ideal melee opening for a lore guild is to actually take advantage of their tactics skill and open combat with several successful combos in a row.
Re: Analyze Suggestions 01/31/2017 01:01 AM CST
I really like these ideas.

>>1) Lore primaries get a -1 bonus to minimum ANALYZE roundtime

When I first read this I thought you meant the ANALYZE <item> command, which would also be a nice perk (along with shorter appraisal times).

- Navesi
Re: Analyze Suggestions 01/31/2017 05:25 AM CST
I like it too. The other idea I can think of would be the ability to choose which debuff to apply (ANALYZE <CREATURE> STUN|ARMOR|BALANCE|etc.). That one doesn't have as obvious of a primary/secondary/tertiary progression, so maybe tertiary can try it with some success level, secondary gets a bonused success rate, and primary always gets the one they aim for. Or something.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor

Re: Analyze Suggestions 01/31/2017 08:11 AM CST

Add additional analyze combos too! Make defensive combos! Add grappling moves!
Re: Analyze Suggestions 01/31/2017 01:33 PM CST
I like this, it makes sense.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Analyze Suggestions 01/31/2017 02:08 PM CST
Defensive combos I would like to see become a Paladin thing, sort of like how offensive combos (that do stuff like give accuracy/damage buffs) are a Barbarian thing.

More types of combos or being able to choose what kind of combo you do are nice suggestions.

Grappling is an offensive martial art that involves using the body as a weapon, brawling seems perfect there, which is where it currently exists. Practical application of tactics in combat I think would be more like the idea of pressure points, which is what I picture when I think of analyze stun.

Other suggestion: a non-damaging combo option for the empaths out there (that uses only bob/circle/weave/grapple/tackle/shove).
Re: Analyze Suggestions 01/31/2017 03:43 PM CST
Hmm. I dig the idea of each guild having a set of ANALYZE moves specific to the guild, tied to the guild skill.

I can see grappling being Tactics instead of Brawling, with some specific Brawling moves requiring a grapple. But it could go either way - I say that in part because I dislike the notion of Lore primes being barred from 'tactics like things' I envision in kung-fu, simply because they require brawling instead of tactics.
Re: Analyze Suggestions 01/31/2017 07:55 PM CST

> Hmm. I dig the idea of each guild having a set of ANALYZE moves specific to the guild, tied to the guild skill.

I do to, but what would that look like? Filling guild weaknesses, or further bolstering strengths? Spit balling here.

Barbarian: Analyze <target> Cleave. If you kill the target during your analyze then you spin to face another target, get a free brawling move, and apply the remaining combo moves to that target without having to do another analyze. Trains brawling and expertise. Maybe gives an inner fire bonus.
Bard: Analyze <target> Distract. Hitting the target causes them to stop facing or aiming at you. Trains performance and bardic lore.
Cleric: Analyze <target> Curse. A set of moves to curse the target. All of your anti-undead spells now work on this target, and killing it in this state has a chance for a devotion boost. Trains theurgy and debilitation.
Empaths: Analyze <target> Shift. You're given dance-like moves (weave, bob, circle) regardless of weapon, and it always ends in a shove. This gives a "touch" effect that increases pain reception (+damage) if living or undead. Trains empathy and brawling (or athletics).
Moon Mages: Analyze <target> Drain. This is the luck draining move. Similar to empaths, but you steal a bit of luck when you do it. trains astrology and brawling.
Necromancer: Analyze <target> Ritual. Similar to empaths, but giving you moves for a bladed weapon. If the target is bleeding at the end then your pet gets a "frenzy" and rushes to the target for a free hit. Trains thanatology and athletics.
Paladins: Analyze <target> disable. Successful analyze greatly reduces the target's defensive factor for the next attack against them. It's kind of a stretch, but if you know how to defend then you can use that against them. Think chess, in combat. Trains paladin-skill and defending.
Rangers: Analyze <target> mimic. A very short-lived combo. If you pull it off, and kill the target before it fades, then you'll copy the sound of the creature to try and summon another one of it's kind into the room. Trains scouting and performance.
Thieves: Analyze <target> mug. A series of moves that always ends in backstab. If you kill the target with backstab then you have a chance to pull a "tiny [box]" from their pocket. This has a trivial amount of coins, but acts as a decent training box. Trains backstabbing and thievery.
Traders: Analyze <target> manipulate. A series of brawling moves with a random taunt after each successful hit. If you are successful then you convince the target to try and buy their life. They produce a random pile of coins or (rarely) treasure and throw it to the ground (basically as if you killed and looted them). You can then kill them and loot them again. Once per creature. Trains trading and performance.
Warrior Mages: Analyze <target> summon. Similar to empaths, but you attempt to syphon elemental charge out of the target. Deals vitality damage if successful. Trains summoning and athletics.

I know, keep dreaming, but this would solve a lot of training hedaches, and it gives performance a viable use for some guilds.
Re: Analyze Suggestions 01/31/2017 08:34 PM CST

Even putting aside my own personal tweaks/preferences to some of those, I think each of those is a really cool idea! I like the idea of expanding on Tactics like this immensely. I'd point out that some of these should have the option of being entirely non-attacking move based, or at the very least should be able to be completed even if you miss (like barb combos are now), so weapon terts aren't excluded from ever really using them.

For example, and also just spitballing -

Barb one I would decouple from Brawling and change the name (but not the concept!) to something like 'Unstoppable'. Executing the combo makes it so the next critter killed grants a free, automatic hit with whatever melee weapon is being held on a random engaged critter. Or, if engaged to only one target, it grants a free extra hit after 10s (acting like a Damage After Time).
Bard one I would roll WHISTLE PIERCING into, and do the same thing. All engaged critters get RT.
Cleric one is awesome.
Empath one is awesome.
Moon Mage one I'd go with executing the combo adds to a random prediction pool to sort of emphasize the 'pattern and ways of the flow of fate and combat'.
Necromancer one I'd either leave as is, or, make it so the pet starts a special channel/DoT attack on them. Maybe, say, the mudman hurls a whole bunch of globs, and/or zombies frenzy.
Paladin one is awesome - I envision some kind of shield/armor grab and twist, preventing the opponent from, say, lifting their shield, or mucking the straps on their armor, providing a debuff to their defenses.
Thief one is funny, but I think I'd go with something more offensive. Maybe a temporary boost to discipline generation so the thief can temporarily overload more khris?
I have no idea what to do with Traders. Maybe something that emphasizes that the Trader has hedged and predicted against these challenges, and it increases the chance of more valuable loot (more coin, better pelt, I dunno)?
Warmie one is awesome.

That said, while I like the idea of being able to train more in combat, I dislike the idea of making it so no one ever needs to really step out of combat other than for training athletics, outdoors, and a craft or two. But also that said, I think expanding the combat system, and lending more options to more guilds is a good thing
Re: Analyze Suggestions 01/31/2017 10:31 PM CST

I can dig it! Was training my Empath last night (ancient Empath) and my highest Lore is Tactics, so was trying to figure out how to train it. Was very disappointed that "Analyze" was pretty much useless to me - would like some kind of defensive version to use for training.
Re: Analyze Suggestions 01/31/2017 10:44 PM CST
An empath can fully utilize tactics vs. constructs without any conditional modifiers such as absolution.
Re: Analyze Suggestions 02/01/2017 06:15 AM CST

I am very much looking forward to utilizing that function when my Empath gets old enough. ;)
Re: Analyze Suggestions 02/01/2017 11:13 AM CST

>I can dig it! Was training my Empath last night (ancient Empath) and my highest Lore is Tactics, so was trying to figure out how to train it. Was very disappointed that "Analyze" was pretty much useless to me - would like some kind of defensive version to use for training.

FWIW, Circle, Weave, and Grapple/Shove are all offensive non-shocking maneuvers.
Re: Analyze Suggestions 02/05/2017 12:25 AM CST

<<FWIW, Circle, Weave, and Grapple/Shove are all offensive non-shocking maneuvers.>>

Analyze is easily done by any Empath at any time on any critter. Now listen while this really old ranger teaches you a few tricks. First never assume you cant do something till you try it. Ok you ready for this? Well are ya?

Step 1. Get to melee on a critter. Bob, circle, then analyze (it will default to what you are facing). Notice the messages you get and do not do the attacks shown.
Step 2. Analyze (notice the messages you get and do not do the attacks shown.)
Step 3. Analyze (notice the messages you get and do not do the attacks shown.) You will repeat this till you have a massive advantage. (note the messages will show you have a massive advantage. Yup us rangers notice things.)
Step 4. Once you have your massive advantage, face next, bob, circle, then repeat the analyze process till you get a massive advantage on it.
Step 5. Face next, bob, circle, repeat analyze process.
Step 6. Face next, bob, circle, repeat analyze process.

I'm fairly certain you will lock tactics before you get to step 6 specially if you do not have that much tactics.

Now see... yes even an Empath can train tactics, and since you don't lay a glove or a weapon on the critter its safe to use on anything.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Analyze Suggestions 02/05/2017 12:44 AM CST
Steps 1-6 summary: analyzing a critter teaches tactics by itself as does non-damaging brawling maneuvers. Empath friend with 700+ tactics locks this way after a bit of dancing.

Would still be nice to have a non-damaging brawling combo option, that chunk of experience from completing the combo would make training tactics much less painful as an Empath.
Re: Analyze Suggestions 02/05/2017 05:33 AM CST

Awesome! I was hoping there was still an experience gain from just Analyzing without doing the combo (I have a F2P Barbarian) but was not sure! Thank you so much for the tip! (Am very cognizant of my balance and advantage in combat - but I also have a Ranger. :P)
Re: Analyze Suggestions 02/05/2017 10:29 PM CST

>nalyze is easily done by any Empath at any time on any critter.

Tactics was one of the top Lores for my Empath, and was trained exclusively via WEAVE, CIRCLE, and GRAPPLE/SHOVE. Shrug. Whatever works!
Re: Analyze Suggestions 02/06/2017 04:45 AM CST

Currently my Empath's top lore as well (which is while I need it to circle), but it is a pain to train! Take forever! But it seems to be ranking up quickly, so should become less frustrating, I hope. Also adjusting to how the damange/wound/combat system has changed and it's been... awkward. LOL