Why is a Arzfilt identical in stats to a forged Broadsword? 08/05/2015 07:42 PM CDT

Broadsword: >DragonRealms uses the classic fantasy definition of the broadsword, that of a thick-bladed sword, primarily built for heavy slashes.

Arzfilt: >The arzfilt is a form of broadsword with a very thick, heavy blade.

Taking this direct comparison i assume that that Arzfilt is thicker and heavier version of the broadsword and should do more damage accordingly.

Re: Why is a Arzfilt identical in stats to a forged Broadsword? 08/05/2015 09:13 PM CDT
Most of the templates in the crafting system are shared across several different names. They are similar enough to share the same template. You can have a broadsword and arzfilt forged up at different weights, and therefore different stats, if it makes you feel better.
Re: Why is a Arzfilt identical in stats to a forged Broadsword? 08/06/2015 09:52 AM CDT
>>Why is a Arzfilt identical in stats to a forged Broadsword?

Because Kodius wanted to avoid have one weapon name for each weapon skill - like we had previously. Basically, he was trying to avoid "Scimitar" being the global Small Edge. So he has a few templates that make sense to deal similar types of damage that are all reasonable useful rather than a totally useless broadsword and an arzfilt that does more damage.

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a book of apprentice carving instructions, you are certain that the dire bear is a truly skilled opponent.
Re: Why is a Arzfilt identical in stats to a forged Broadsword? 08/07/2015 03:50 PM CDT

>Taking this direct comparison i assume that that Arzfilt is thicker and heavier version of the broadsword and should do more damage accordingly.

I don't read that as 'an arzfilt is a thicker broadsword', I read that as 'a broadsword is a sword with a thick and heavy blade, and an arzfilt is a form of a broadsword, it also has a thick and heavy blade'.
Re: Why is a Arzfilt identical in stats to a forged Broadsword? 08/08/2015 01:31 PM CDT

I read it as:

Broadsword: This is what a base broadsword in our world is

Arzfilt: This is something that is like a base broadsword but thicker and heavier.
Re: Why is a Arzfilt identical in stats to a forged Broadsword? 08/08/2015 03:01 PM CDT
You can definitely read it that way if you want to. They just happen to have similar stats.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Why is a Arzfilt identical in stats to a forged Broadsword? 08/08/2015 08:41 PM CDT
I don't mind the simplification in this case. We have a handfull of template s that are easier to balance the design around but also room for cosmetic variety without every new weapon needing to be thought out.

It's preferable to everyone having a bastard sword and an iltesh!

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Why is a Arzfilt identical in stats to a forged Broadsword? 08/11/2015 05:44 AM CDT
Alternatively:

>>The arzfilt is a form of broadsword

Variations within the broadsword template are determined by weight and honing choices, and allow variation where otherwise there would be "optimal" choices that discourage character variety. If you want a thematic Arzfilt, you might go with a super-heavy weight.

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

"That is so not how magic works." -Raesh

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh
Re: Why is a Arzfilt identical in stats to a forged Broadsword? 09/24/2015 07:20 PM CDT

there are only a couple of oddly named weapons i like in DR. basically the iltesh, the condottiere and the cinqueda.

Iltesh is totally lore, the condo and the cinq are types of italian blades. the cinq irl is a medium edged at largest, but I think its cool in DR because its a large edged piercer.

the racial weapon templates are nice to have available for RP, im just torn as to the immersion aspect of it.

somebody yu want to rp with is wearing or wielding something you have no clue what it is. you can A, ask them what it is or have them show it to you, and thru a description realize it is something easily recognizable as a rakash club or a s'kra robe or B (nowadays anyways) look on the wiki. I dunno im glad they are there, but I find it a little distracting