teach steal...th 10/12/2014 10:43 AM CDT
Can we please fix the abbreviation 'steal' for thievery skill when teaching? I understand why it is there, but it interferes with teaching stealth. Since teaching thievery triggers the justice system it is both an easy to miss and costly mistake to make.

My ideal situation would be to change the abbreviation priority. Anything up to and including 'steal' would teach Stealth instead of Thievery like it does now, while 'steali' and 'stealt' and beyond would teach Thievery and Stealth respectively.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: teach steal...th 10/12/2014 02:30 PM CDT
It's been long enough, you should just cut the cord on the legacy skills for experience and teaching. We've had enough time to adjust to using thievery instead of stealing, and small edge instead of light edge. If players don't understand the difference between the 2.0 and 3.0 versions that's the least of their worries.

Amiron says, "Even a mute would have said something about this amount of people being about."
Re: teach steal...th 10/12/2014 02:45 PM CDT
>It's been long enough, you should just cut the cord on the legacy skills for experience and teaching. We've had enough time to adjust to using thievery instead of stealing, and small edge instead of light edge. If players don't understand the difference between the 2.0 and 3.0 versions that's the least of their worries.

Agreed 100%. We need to get rid of these legacy names.

Also, please restore more logical priority for checking exp. "EXP S" always used to list survival skills, now it lists the shield skill? Huh? Also, "EXP L" now shows light armor instead of lore. Best of all, "EXP M" was always magic but it now assumes M for medium edged and displays the small edged skill? I can't even...

Yes I know I could type more letters, but abbreviations should give priority to the most common uses.
Re: teach steal...th 10/12/2014 03:52 PM CDT
At the moment I use teach hi and exp hi, if it helps. I agree that it should be fixed.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: teach steal...th 10/12/2014 04:03 PM CDT
I've been suggesting and I'll agree only.

Stealt should still be Stealth. I'm fine but don't think its needed for steali stealin stealing to link to Thievery. But I think its been enough time take the training wheels off.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: teach steal...th 10/12/2014 06:03 PM CDT
On one hand, I've had to delve into the parsing logic of this before. On the other hand - having done that in the past, I know how quickly it turns into a major headache.

Rather then taking out all the legacy matches (This doesn't gain us much and would actually be rather irritating to do) what, specifically, doesn't parse in nice ways?

Steal ==> Stealth.
A/W/M/L/S ==> Skill sets.

Any others? I really don't want to crawl into the code twice so I'd like to put a full list together to take by the powers that be before I crack open the code.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: teach steal...th 10/12/2014 06:11 PM CDT
To me all the various abbreviations of stealth ste,stea,stealt, stealth should go to Stealth...

Not sure about st doesn't seem to be linked with anything the character I am testing this with works (a Thief).

If Steali, Stealin, Stealing, want to be linked to Thievery. To me that's fine (That is part of how it is right now).

Those are my big issues.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: teach steal...th 10/13/2014 01:59 AM CDT
>>DR-Raesh: Steal ==> Stealth.

You have to type at least "stealt" to teach stealth. Otherwise, it defaults to stealing.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: teach steal...th 10/13/2014 02:37 AM CDT
<<You have to type at least "stealt" to teach stealth. Otherwise, it defaults to stealing.

His examples list what it should be changed to, not what it currently is.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: teach steal...th 10/13/2014 06:16 PM CDT
"sk d" gives Locksmithing, instead of Debilitation or Defending.
"sk w" gives Performance, instead of Warding.
"sk fo" gives Outdoorsmanship, instead of Forging.

Not a big deal, but it is a bit legacy.
Re: teach steal...th 10/13/2014 06:39 PM CDT
"sk al" gives Outdoorsmanship instead of Alchemy.
Re: teach steal...th 10/13/2014 08:40 PM CDT
"sk po" goes to Attunement and not Polearms.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: teach steal...th 10/17/2014 03:33 AM CDT
"sk light" goes to Chain Armor instead of Light Armor
Re: teach steal...th 10/20/2014 12:04 PM CDT
>>Also, "EXP L" now shows light armor instead of lore.

>>"sk light" goes to Chain Armor instead of Light Armor

Lol - that's kind of funny... "SK L" goes to light armor, while "sk light" goes to chain.

--Wryhk

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." ~Dwight D. Eisenhower