Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/24/2013 12:25 PM CDT
Could the cut verb please be changed to stow the left over material instead of dropping it on the ground?

Loosing a pile of high quality fabric to a script kiddie grinding sorcery by casting compost over and over in a crowded room kind of pisses me off.
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/24/2013 03:46 PM CDT
>Loosing a pile of high quality fabric to a script kiddie grinding sorcery by casting compost over and over in a crowded room kind of pisses me off.

I never cut fabric in public for the reason. We've been told stowing the excess would be a non-trivial addition (the game can't properly check if there is room to stow it or something).

WTB at-foot slot, like I would literally pay more money.
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/24/2013 04:13 PM CDT
What about something like a wearable scissors that worked like a lockpick ring/skinning knife? One hand free and material to cut in one hand, then after you cut you're holding both sets of material? Is that something that wouldn't be too hard to implement?
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/24/2013 04:24 PM CDT
>>What about something like a wearable scissors that worked like a lockpick ring/skinning knife? One hand free and material to cut in one hand, then after you cut you're holding both sets of material? Is that something that wouldn't be too hard to implement?

A way to do this that might be easier to implement (since no new tool needs to be created) is to change it so you mark the cloth, then cut it, then stow your scissors and then break the fabric in order to get two pieces. That way you would have two hands open with the splitting takes place.

Also, since I happen to have Compost memorized at the moment I apologize if I happen to be said script kiddie (not that I script repeatedly casting compost, but it might look like it sometimes suppose).
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/24/2013 08:37 PM CDT
I would like to add a foot slot for materials like this to go to. But its a massive project, and I'm not sure when it might get done. No other easy options exist at the moment I'm afraid.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/24/2013 08:43 PM CDT
>>No other easy options exist at the moment I'm afraid.

How about having the excess material go into your "default store" container?

Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/24/2013 09:02 PM CDT
>>No other easy options exist at the moment I'm afraid.

Let scissors work from within a container until a more robust solution is in place.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/24/2013 11:58 PM CDT

>>How about having the excess material go into your "default store" container?

did it ever do this?

i'll one better you...

how about your default store material/ore/craft container?
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/25/2013 04:04 AM CDT
If any of the above are done, please do the same for ingots!

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/25/2013 04:15 AM CDT
> If any of the above are done, please do the same for ingots!

Ingots have a work-around, since you can pre-cut them to the desired size.

Which suggests a possible work-around for cloth and leather: let ingot cutters work on them, too.
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/25/2013 04:55 AM CDT
>How about having the excess material go into your "default store" container?

This has been raised in the past, and having an item automatically stow itself is actually a fairly complicated implementation. Probably in the vicinity of as complicated as adding an "at your feet" slot.

---
"Tapeabarala asu chakapar oseane Gerenshuge sinuar sedea."
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/25/2013 05:40 AM CDT
Unless I am using special metals, I use an over sized ingot and stow the remainder after the first pound. Why would this not work with cloth?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/25/2013 05:50 AM CDT
That is you stowing an item. Which works fine. What I was talking about is having the system automatically stow an item. It's been repeatedly mentioned that such is not really feasible.

Fortunately, marking, cutting, and then stowing your leather or cloth is a no-RT operation, unless you are starting a craft, and therefore can be done with a quick script to minimize time-on-the-ground of your items. Which means that unless someone is really persistently spamming Compost, they're unlikely to catch your dropped cloth with it.

Maybe I'll go write one . . .

---
"Tapeabarala asu chakapar oseane Gerenshuge sinuar sedea."
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/25/2013 09:57 AM CDT
If attempting to gelapod/bucket/flashpoint/destroy/etc graverobbed items is against policy, I fail to see why proactively attempting to compost materials also can't be against policy.

It would be nice for a mechanical failsafe, but adjusting its acceptability on a game culture level is also available.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/25/2013 01:35 PM CDT
it isn't being done on purpose. people spam compost as a training tool.. probably for sorcery ranks. the problem is when that hens, the casts are too close together and cause the excess to be composted. what I suggest is actually to 'start' a bunch of the project ahead of time. unlike forging and alchemy, you can have a started outfitting item (sans knitting) stowed and come back to it.

so go to a quiet place, start 10 of the item, then go back and work the item. you can prepare the right size piece of material, start a set of the project, or leave the room for the 20 seconds it takes to start the item and then go back.

on the other hand, allowing the start cut of a material be done with scissors in a container would be nice

one more thought.. with scissors in right hand and cloth/material in a container,

>cut 10 yards of wool cloth in my backpack with my scissors

check made for one hand empty,
check made for scissors in hand,
check made for x yards of material in container,
shrink material by x,
copy item to hand with size x

could be made to only remove x yards of the item from the container, bypassing the issue of auto-stow, but results in the same thing, scissors and material cut to size in hand, excess material still stored, never to touch the ground.

since the item goes through checks to get it into the container, assuming that making it smaller would also have to be able to fit in said container should be reasonable

>The shadowling exclaims, "Mana neeto!"
Re: Cutting cloth leaves material vulnerable to composting etc 10/25/2013 01:41 PM CDT
Oh, if people are just tailoring at the NE gate, maybe they should just pre-cut all their materials before going there.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.