Managing alchemy stacks 09/06/2013 01:00 AM CDT
So, alchemy requires (most) materials to be in multiples of 5. Or 25 x number of items in the work order. Problem is, all our sources of herbs come in a wide range of numbers unless we can buy them from the society store. I've ended up having to script a lot of marking, breaking, stacking of herbs to get the right size and even then it has been kind of a hassle to deal with in bulk.

For example, I am working on chest potions for work orders. I buy stacks of 4 ithor root from the store, crush them. To get a round number, I need to crush 25 sets of herbs. But then I need to combine all 25 stacks. After all of that, I only make 4 uses.

Or, when I made a bunch of nemoih salve, I kept getting stacks of 6 instead of 5. Mark, break, figure out which hand has the 5 and which hand has the 1 unit. And then you have to do something with all those singles--put each one in a container or drop them on the ground and then gather them up one at a time and combine them, keep track, stow them in a different container.

None of these steps are particularly hard, but in large numbers it's a lot of tedious work. This isn't an urgent problem and I don't know the best way to make it less cumbersome. Something like an herb stacker that dispenses in units of 5, but the problem is there are a lot of herbs we'll want to keep track of so an item for each type of herb doesn't seem viable either.

So, something to think about. If we didn't have to script the management of herb/product stacks, that would be good.
Re: Managing alchemy stacks 09/06/2013 01:19 AM CDT
<<figure out which hand has the 5 and which hand has the 1 unit.>>

Broken components always considered the first instance of that thing in your inventory. That means you can just use put (thing) in my mortar/bowl/container and it will put the broken off bit there. The old stack will be considered the other (thing) until the broken off bit is placed somewhere.

Prepared herbs can stack up to 75 so I'm not sure way you aren't combining stuff for bulk and breaking off what you need to make work orders.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Managing alchemy stacks 09/06/2013 01:21 AM CDT
How do you multiply 4 to get 75?
Re: Managing alchemy stacks 09/06/2013 01:55 AM CDT
<<How do you multiply 4 to get 75?>>

Foraged herbs come in numbers greater than 4, I generally get 9-12 parts with forage precise. This would mean that anywhere from 7-8 stacks of herbs (pyramids hold 7) will get me near enough to 75 that I can combine remainders after I've created a bunch of stuff.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Managing alchemy stacks 09/06/2013 02:14 AM CDT
> Or, when I made a bunch of nemoih salve, I kept getting stacks of 6 instead of 5. Mark, break, figure out which hand has the 5 and which hand has the 1 unit. And then you have to do something with all those singles--put each one in a container or drop them on the ground and then gather them up one at a time and combine them, keep track, stow them in a different container.

I do it in a different order: make new stack, get old leftovers, combine, mark at 5, break, stow second. That keeps all the excess pieces in one stack, and eventually they accumulate up to 5 and can be bundled.
Re: Managing alchemy stacks 09/06/2013 12:41 PM CDT
<<Foraged herbs come in numbers greater than 4, I generally get 9-12 parts with forage precise. This would mean that anywhere from 7-8 stacks of herbs (pyramids hold 7) will get me near enough to 75 that I can combine remainders after I've created a bunch of stuff.>>

I'm in a spot where I can't forage the ithor root I need to do hard work orders. I could step down and use nemoih again, but I don't want to. So I buy the ithor from the alchemy shops in stack of 4, crush them, and then do my work orders.

I work in batches of 1000+ raw material because I do the rest of my training in a place without access to an alchemy society.

I get stacks of 72 crushed ithor this way. That means I get two potions and 22 left over ithor. Right now I have something in the ballpark of 50 stacks of ithor. That means 50 left over ithor to recombine at 66. And then stacks of 16 to deal with, and then stacks of 14 to deal with and then stacks of 6 to deal with and so on.

This is a lot of busy work just to make 5-10 work orders.
Re: Managing alchemy stacks 09/06/2013 12:45 PM CDT
>>> I get stacks of 72 crushed ithor this way. That means I get two potions and 22 left over ithor. Right now I have something in the ballpark of 50 stacks of ithor. That means 50 left over ithor to recombine at 66. And then stacks of 16 to deal with, and then stacks of 14 to deal with and then stacks of 6 to deal with and so on.

You could use a script to do this for you. The script I use counts the size of a stack and, if it less than 25, gets a second stack and tries to combine them. If the second stack is too big it just uses that one instead. If your front end won't support extracting numbers it might be slightly more challenging to work with, but doable.
Re: Managing alchemy stacks 09/06/2013 01:46 PM CDT
Here's a SF script for combining herbs into nice stacks of 75.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/HerbCombiner_(script)
Re: Managing alchemy stacks 09/06/2013 07:37 PM CDT
Hmm, would it help if the stacks could go higher for finished herbs and remedies? Say 250?

I can look into making stuff auto-combine when you STOW it into the same container, but it will likely be a decent sized project.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Managing alchemy stacks 09/06/2013 08:19 PM CDT
Yes, higher would be good. But even better would be having combine be able to max out the stack size in one hand and leave the remnants in the other so you can guarantee an even, maxed out number without having to count, mark, break.
Re: Managing alchemy stacks 09/06/2013 08:31 PM CDT
And actually, now that I think of it, making the herbs stack too high could cause issues with containers and weight restrictions. You might get all the herbs put together and then have no where to store them because they're too heavy.