Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 09:46 AM CDT
You carefully cut off the excess material and set it on the ground.
Back and forth you saw a steel curved bone saw across the anklet's bones. The sawing proceeds exceptionally well and free of mistakes.
Roundtime: 12 sec.

You carefully cut off the excess material and set it on the ground.
Gripping your greaves tightly, you hold it tight and cut the tough material down one side. Then, you reverse it and cut down the other.
Roundtime: 11 sec.

You realize the sturdy chisels will not require as much metal as you have, and so you split the ingot and leave the portion you won't be using on the ground.

After using the tongs to warm the chisels over the forge fire, you place it down upon the anvil and make some adjustments to its shape with carefully timed hammer taps. The forging proceeds exceptionally well and free of mistakes.
Roundtime: 12 sec.

Is there any chance that this could be changed to put it in your stow container if you have one? After all, we're told repeatedly not to put things on the ground for any amount of time we want to keep.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 11:00 AM CDT
i agree. i havent had a problem yet, but i can see how it certainly can be. especially because we are in what can be a long rt until we can pick it up.
Re: Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 12:01 PM CDT
I walked away from 2 volumes of zenganne cloth because I wasn't paying attention after I made some gloves. By the time I realized it, it was too late. Would love it if the materials stayed in your possession, but in my instance I could only be mad at myself.
Re: Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 01:56 PM CDT
I try to remember to cut/portion out what I need in advance. So if I'm making a couple of cloaks I'll mark out and cut the cloth I need for them in advance (still falls on the ground but at least no round time) then stow it all asap. Less likely to forget it and less chance of someone walking in and just picking it up while I can't move. :P

It IS a slightly frustrating aspect of the system but I think it was stated that trying to auto stow it was too complicated? Or didn't make sense? (You'd need three hands unless you somehow cut it over your open container.)
Re: Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 02:00 PM CDT
>>Or didn't make sense? (You'd need three hands unless you somehow cut it over your open container.)

No less sense than many other things.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 02:07 PM CDT
>>Or didn't make sense? (You'd need three hands unless you somehow cut it over your open container.)

Keeping in mind that this is done within the DR world, it wouldn't be to hard to add a line that says

You quickly scoop up the excess ingot from the ground with your tongs and toss it in your stowcontainer.

Or something to that effect.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 02:10 PM CDT
>You quickly scoop up the excess ingot from the ground with your tongs and toss it in your stowcontainer.

This is true! I swear I remember a GM saying something about why everything defaults to the ground, but I'm too sleepy to remember/look it up now. I'd sure be happy if it auto stowed.
Re: Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 02:47 PM CDT
> Keeping in mind that this is done within the DR world, it wouldn't be to hard to add a line that says

> You quickly scoop up the excess ingot from the ground with your tongs and toss it in your stowcontainer.

That would be far too sensible for DR. Consider:

>turn spellb to chap 7
You'll need to open the moonsilk spellbook first.

> I swear I remember a GM saying something about why everything defaults to the ground

Checking whether your container has the capacity to accept the item is a lot of work.
Re: Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 03:03 PM CDT
>>Checking whether your container has the capacity to accept the item is a lot of work.

I honestly don't see the abuse potential.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 03:32 PM CDT
they talked about an 'at foot' spot for awhile- for like invokes when your hands were full, or in the case of excess material, or redeeming an ingot.

I always do a stow ingot, yarn, leather, stack after the initial motion.

Re: Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 03:41 PM CDT
>>I honestly don't see the abuse potential.

Even if it isn't something that can be abused, it's a system limitation. Stow something has a few checks associated with it and running those checks isn't something that can easily be tacked onto another action.

Just as an example of what stuff needs to be checked when stowing something
1) Are you allowed to pick it up
2) Can you pick it up due to wounds
3) Can you pick it up due to strength
4) Can you pick it up due to burden
5) Do you have a container set to stow that item
6) Is that container open
7) Is that container able to fit something with those dimensions
8) Is that container already too full weight wise

That's not to say some of those don't have obvious answers (like the first, for example), but they're still all checks that are done.

I think it's the same reason why tapping a deed puts the material in your hand or on the ground: because taking it one extra step is a lot harder than it looks.

Maybe a reasonable middle ground would be to put remaining material in your hands when possible?

>>they talked about an 'at foot' spot for awhile- for like invokes when your hands were full, or in the case of excess material, or redeeming an ingot.

This too! I do like the idea of an "on the ground near you" type of slot.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 04:07 PM CDT
>>Just as an example of what stuff needs to be checked when stowing something

Many of those don't apply since you already have it in your hands, as you said, so why bother bringing them up except useless chaff?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Excess material - placed on the ground: 06/25/2013 04:15 PM CDT
>>Many of those don't apply since you already have it in your hands, as you said, so why bother bringing them up except useless chaff?

Because that's what happens during a stow check. It's also not an accurate assessment of all materials used. Ingots don't start off in your hands, for example.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).