Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/15/2013 08:50 PM CST
Is impossible, at least at low levels. My young Bard has 68 Tactics and using bob after slicing five times never gets it anywhere. I did weave until I was out of fatigue (20 Str/Stam, 19 Disc), then bob until I was at full fatigue and was still only at 10/34. I'm now circling ad nauseum and it is just painfully slow to fill my pool. For reference, this is in Cave Bears, where I can easily lock Large Edged with 75 ranks.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/15/2013 09:54 PM CST
I believe there is a timer one repeating the same tactic on the same mob, try rotating different manuevers killing the thing and starting on a new one.
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/16/2013 01:35 AM CST
>I believe there is a timer one repeating the same tactic on the same mob

I think this was changed. If not, it's short, or it's deteriorating gains. Regardless, my main can learn easily by weaving every five attacks. At low levels this destroys my fatigue, and doesn't get me above 1/34 as a Lore Prime.

"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/16/2013 05:38 AM CST

If you use Genie, use Geniehunter and empathic brawling. It's all non-attack moves and I can lock my tactics with it, takes a bit, but it happens. Circle 19 bard.
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/16/2013 12:52 PM CST
Try alternating between your attacks and circle/weave. I find weave is also a lot more fatiguing than circling.

All my hunting routines now just alternate between an attack and a circle, and Tactics moves pretty easily.
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/16/2013 01:14 PM CST
>I can lock my tactics with it, takes a bit, but it happens

As stated in my original post, I know how to lock Tactics, it's just stupid to repeatedly debuff an opponent I'm not planning to kill until I stop debuffing it for ten minutes straight. To me it kind of falls under the category of "things no sane adventure would do just to train the skill" which we're trying to avoid.

>Try alternating between your attacks and circle/weave. I find weave is also a lot more fatiguing than circling.

This would probably work, but weaving that often would tank my fatigue. I think weaving is the best teacher, but I have no evidence to support that. Right now, I get to about 4/32 when I use bob/throw for my thrown routine. But that's when thrown locks.

I guess my question is, do Tactics maneuvers not award experience based on the level of success like weapons/TM? I don't see this kind of difference between my Primary/Secondary combat skills in other guilds. It feels like Tactics maneuvers award a set amount of experience, regardless of how much you beat the defender by.

Another issue is that Tactics maneuvers are not meant to be used back to back ad nauseum. You use one, then take advantage of the opponents reduced balance/defenses, or your extra fatigue or whatever. This is different than every other combat skill that is trained ad nauseum, i.e. SLICE, SLICE, SLICE, SLICE.

Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/16/2013 01:36 PM CST
I'm not sure what the range on tactics is, but I find it to be larger than what will teach for weapons. My barb can train tactics on critters that no longer teach him weapons, for example, which may admittedly be a product of being lore tert.

That said, I think WEAVE debuffs for ~10s? I haven't timed it, but the debuff has worn off before I've killed critters. Truthfully, I've never really had an issue moving it; my Bard/Empath can't lock it as quickly as my barb (obviously), but by the time the Bard has rotated through locking up 3 weapons, circling between each attack, tactics are pretty far along, if not locked.

As to it's functionality, I find it provides lore primary/secondary guilds another option for taking down opponents, or, for barbs/rangers, it potentially helps bridge the gap between critters. Weave is a reasonably potent seeming debuff.
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/16/2013 02:43 PM CST
>>Emicarn: If you use Genie, use Geniehunter and empathic brawling. It's all non-attack moves and I can lock my tactics with it, takes a bit, but it happens.

Geniehunter has also been modified to add tactics training to regular melee hunting.

http://www.genieclient.com/bulletin/files/file/175-geniehunter-30-and-geniebuff-30/

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/16/2013 03:53 PM CST
On low level critters, tactics seemed to cap out about the middle of the learning range rather than the top end. Although when I was in that range 3.0 and tactics still had a lot of huge issues.

I think it's also dependent on the creature? Cave bears just might be bad for tactics learning.
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/17/2013 12:56 AM CST
>>I think weaving is the best teacher

SHOVE also teaches decently, though still not quite as well as WEAVE I don't think.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/21/2013 07:19 PM CST
A new method for training Tactics is nearly complete. Just be a bit more patient :)

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/21/2013 07:20 PM CST
>>A new method for training Tactics is nearly complete.

Oh snap!! <3

Thanks Kodius!!

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/21/2013 07:28 PM CST
Siege warfare?!

Kodius is a code beast!
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/21/2013 07:45 PM CST
The Crossing general store now carries Stratego boards. Find a challenging opponent and train your tactics skill. Don't mind the 1500 second roundtime.
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/21/2013 07:46 PM CST
>A new method for training Tactics is nearly complete. Just be a bit more patient :)

Sweet! Can't wait!

Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 02/22/2013 12:47 PM CST
I can wait.

-sits patiently, and does other things, as he imagines what awesome and sick things he will be able to do to things above his abilities-

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 09/07/2013 01:00 PM CDT
don't know if anyone else reads the older posts, but i believe that the 'new way to train' that kodius mentioned is to analyze the target, then perform the specific combination of moves on said creature.

>The shadowling exclaims, "Mana neeto!"
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 09/09/2013 01:59 PM CDT
>i believe that the 'new way to train' that kodius mentioned is to analyze the target, then perform the specific combination of moves on said creature.

Which is great and all, except if you're an Empath with gaping holes in the Construct critter ladder. 50-100, 400-550, 700-900, maybe 275-350 are notable gaps.

Doubly so for skinnable constructs, of which there is 1 critter (gargoyle) coming in 3 species, 1 which is premium-only (of which I am, but anyways).

Please, for the love of god, more constructs, and MORE skinnable constructs.

Make existing constructs PARTS skinnable and use the parts in enchanting or something.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 09/09/2013 05:28 PM CDT
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Category:Construct_Creatures

did you check them all?(a few of those are quest/invasion creatures)

origami, clay soldiers, lachmates, and those things out in the desert should help with some of those gaps.

Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 09/09/2013 06:27 PM CDT
Here's the list, including rank ranges.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Constructs

According to that, the major gaps are 50-100, 450-500, and 700- whatever lava drakes are.

Skinnable critters are 100-155, (135 to 240 if you're premie), 300-375, and then lava drakes.

Origami critters will get you to 50, but the next creature is granite gargoyles (100 minimum). That's where I find my empath now, and I'm training a bunch of different weapons just to get my melee mastery high enough that I can actually hit gargoyles. It would also be nice if there was a spot in granite gargs where there were no snow beasts, because I'm worried I'm just a typo away from a shock scar.
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 09/09/2013 07:53 PM CDT
> but the next creature is granite gargoyles (100 minimum)

You can pull it off a lot earlier, especially with debuffs. 70 or 80 should be doable. Just don't let 4 of them get on you.

>a spot in granite gargs where there were no snow beasts

The Premium monastery north of Crossing, but it's premium.
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 09/10/2013 05:46 AM CDT
Construct gaps aside, you can learn Tactics just fine as a Lore primary by analyzing and NOT executing the combo. Especially if you have four enemies through which to cycle until they're all at massive openings. The only problem is that you're not actually doing anything this way, and experience is the only thing you get out of it. It would be nice if the maneuvers that actually have an effect awarded a bit more experience, or if there were non-damaging Tactical combos that could be used.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 09/10/2013 10:16 AM CDT
>The Premium monastery north of Crossing, but it's premium.

This has death spirits and skunks mixed in too, though?
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 09/10/2013 10:53 AM CDT
>This has death spirits and skunks mixed in too, though?

It's all gargs on the far west side where the directions are mostly east-west. Death spirits are only in the blueberry field on the east side and skunks are non-combatant unless attacked; and even then, they don't do much. If you make them mad with an AREA cast of NB or something you can just change rooms.
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 09/10/2013 07:15 PM CDT
>Death spirits are only in the blueberry field on the east side

I hunted there in my youth and this is not entirely true. Occasional death spirits will wander into the area.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 09/10/2013 07:30 PM CDT
>>I hunted there in my youth and this is not entirely true. Occasional death spirits will wander into the area.

They explicitly changed it in the last year or so.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Lore Prime Tactics Learning 09/10/2013 07:56 PM CDT
>They explicitly changed it in the last year or so.

Oh. Well now I feel silly.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html