Tuesday Tidings - 57 - QoL Improvements for Appraisal 03/23/2021 07:35 PM CDT
Happy Tuesday, everyone!

I chose the project this week, and Zadraes provided assistance with implementation and QC'ing.

These changes are live in all instances.

Shield Appraisal
Previously, appraising a shield showed only the held appraisal when it was held and only the worn appraisal when it was worn. This prevented shoppers from seeing the worn appraisal without buying the shield and wearing it.

Appraising a shield will now show both the held and worn appraisal.

Sample output:

You are certain that the shield offers moderate (10/26) to very impressive (21/26) protection when held and moderate (10/26) to great (16/26) protection when worn on the left arm.

Nothing else has changed about shields. The protection scale is the same, as is the reduction in full defense while wearing a shield on the arm. Paladins will still automatically see the expanded shield protection scale, while non-Paladins will be able to do so if they have sufficient skill with shield and appraisal.

As a reminder, the ability to arm-wear shields is still gated by armor skillset placement. (Just because you can see the worn appraisal doesn't mean you are able to wear shields of that size.)

I mentioned this on Discord earlier, but as an additional reminder for non-Paladins: because the difficulty of seeing the expanded scale scales with the protection stat, it is possible to see different scales (X/14 vs. X/26) within parts of the same appraisal. This is not a bug.

---
Appraisal of Slots

Previously, items tied in the hair and placed in the hair both simply appraised as "in the hair," so the only way to test which slot was used was to purchase the item, type INV SLOTS, wear it, and type INV SLOTS again to see which changed.

Appraising will now distinguish between these two slots:
• It appears that the trinket can be worn tied to the hair.
• It appears that the trinket can be worn placed in the hair.

Additionally, items worn on the upper arm will now appraise as "upper arm" (two words) instead of "upperarm" (one word).

Appraise Focus for Skinning Knives

Previously, APPRAISE FOCUS only allowed worn (non-weapon) skinning knives to serve as appraisal foci for thanatology (Necromancers). For non-Necromancers, these knives didn't work unless the adjective was "skinning."

Now, all worn skinning knives -- regardless of adjective -- can serve as appraisal foci for skinning for non-Necromancers. (No change has been made to how they work for Necromancers.)

GM Cordulia
Re: Tuesday Tidings - 57 - QoL Improvements for Appraisal 03/23/2021 07:40 PM CDT
Thank you for the skinning knife app focus thing, hehe

Naohhi, We'll look into it, but for now, you're making giant errors pop up all over the place on this side. :p
Naohhi, That means.. please stop.
Winna, "Yeah.. I tried to Thires-proof stuff."
Zadraes, "Back to breaking things with me. Have fun!
Re: Tuesday Tidings - 57 - QoL Improvements for Appraisal 03/23/2021 08:14 PM CDT
>>THIRESDR: Thank you for the skinning knife app focus thing, hehe

You're welcome!

GM Cordulia
Re: Tuesday Tidings - 57 - QoL Improvements for Appraisal 03/24/2021 09:28 AM CDT
I'd love for something (appraisal and/or scholarship?) to help influence how fast app focus works. I love setting it up before I train something, but with the way it's currently set up I'm not really playing while it prepares as much as doing something else non-DR related while my character sits there staring at a knife, chart, direction, whatever.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Tuesday Tidings - 57 - QoL Improvements for Appraisal 03/24/2021 02:21 PM CDT
>>I'd love for something (appraisal and/or scholarship?) to help influence how fast app focus works. I love setting it up before I train something, but with the way it's currently set up I'm not really playing while it prepares as much as doing something else non-DR related while my character sits there staring at a knife, chart, direction, whatever.

Though I don't disagree, the time it takes is based on the comparison of skills (as I'm sure you know). I tend to use the time to repair weapons/armor, collect those piles of junk I just end up kicking, travel, heal up, etc. It definitely is a time sync but I think it's that way because of the bonus APP FOCUS gives to training Appraisal and the drain on the skill being focused on. That being said, I'm all for an adjustment downwards to the time it take to get a Breakthrough!

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
RE: Tuesday Tidings - 57 - QoL Improvements for Appraisal 04/03/2021 01:46 PM CDT
> Shield Appraisal
> Previously, appraising a shield showed only the held appraisal when it was held and only the worn appraisal when it was worn. This prevented shoppers from seeing the worn appraisal without buying the shield and wearing it.

Thank you, Cordulia, for these shield appraisal updates. If you're keen on it, I'd like to suggest another quality of life improvement when appraising shields to expand the arm worn vs. held differences for all the stats on the shield so that they can be seen in one appraisal, much like how we can see the appraisal differences for swappable weapons all at once (e.g. bastard swords and ristes).

I recently realized that in addition to the protection values, the balance, suitedness, and damage potential of a shield vary depending on if you're holding it or wearing it. To make this more clear to players when appraising shields, I propose an updated appraisal output like the following:

> appraise sipar careful

An agonite-edged triangular sipar with various faces swirling across its surface is small in size.
An agonite-edged triangular sipar with various faces swirling across its surface can be held in the left hand.

You are certain that it imposes insignificant (1/15) maneuvering hindrance.

You are certain that the sipar offers very poor (4/26) to moderately good (11/26) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/28) puncture damage
no (0/28) slice damage
heavy (9/28) impact damage
no (0/28) fire damage
no (0/28) cold damage
no (0/28) electric damage

You are certain that the sipar is decently (6/17) balanced and is poorly (3/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the triangular sipar is extremely resistant to damage (15/18) and is practically in mint condition (91-99%).

An agonite-edged triangular sipar with various faces swirling across its surface is small in size.
An agonite-edged triangular sipar with various faces swirling across its surface can be worn on the left arm.

You are certain that it imposes insignificant (1/15) maneuvering hindrance.

You are certain that the sipar offers very poor (4/26) to better than fair (9/26) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/28) puncture damage
no (0/28) slice damage
somewhat moderate (6/28) impact damage
no (0/28) fire damage
no (0/28) cold damage
no (0/28) electric damage

You are certain that the sipar is inadequately (4/17) balanced and is dismally (2/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the triangular sipar is extremely resistant to damage (15/18) and is practically in mint condition (91-99%).

The triangular sipar is made with metal.
It appears that the triangular sipar can be slung over one shoulder.
You are confident that the triangular sipar probably weighs several tens of stones.
You are certain that the triangular sipar is worth exactly 4418 Kronars.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

Thanks for your consideration!
RE: Tuesday Tidings - 57 - QoL Improvements for Appraisal 04/03/2021 02:06 PM CDT
>>TRAIGA: I recently realized that in addition to the protection values, the balance, suitedness, and damage potential of a shield vary depending on if you're holding it or wearing it. To make this more clear to players when appraising shields, I propose an updated appraisal output like the following:

I'll add that to the list of suggestions and take a look to see if it's 1) feasible and 2) something the team approves of doing.

GM Cordulia
Re: Tuesday Tidings - 57 - QoL Improvements for Appraisal 05/22/2021 06:35 PM CDT
This was a nice update.

"I, for one, think it's nice to have new folks who are excited and already care enough about the game to offer suggestions. We need more of that." -Solomon

Thanks for being in my corner Solomon, come back soon.