Appraising critters to see what type of damage is best against them 06/07/2015 06:06 PM CDT
Is there a way to tell if slice, blunt, or pierce is the best method against a certain critter?

I haven't found a way besides just randomly testing.

I think this would be a good project for Elanthipedia's Beastiary. It should be added to the search feature.

Might a GM add this to 'appraising careful'?
Re: Appraising critters to see what type of damage is best against them 06/07/2015 11:40 PM CDT

Perhaps even what magic types or elements.
Re: Appraising critters to see what type of damage is best against them 06/08/2015 01:53 AM CDT
>Is there a way to tell if slice, blunt, or pierce is the best method against a certain critter?

Some creatures are immune/highly resistant to some damage types. This typically already shows up with appraise careful. These are actual examples from real creatures -

The stormrider appears immune to puncture and electricity.
The zombie appears immune to normal poisons.
The sharpshooter appears immune to unholy attacks.
The bowyer appears immune to unholy attacks.
The wraith appears immune to all poisons, unholy attacks and normal poisons.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Appraising critters to see what type of damage is best against them 06/08/2015 02:31 AM CDT
For creatures that drop armour, you can just appraise their armour to tell. For creatures that don't, the vast majority are treated as a leather armour equivalent, iirc.

These differences, however, are minor and in most cases will be almost unnoticeable. The only ones which will have a serious impact on your combat decisions are already listed in the appraisal as per Zamara's post above.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Appraising critters to see what type of damage is best against them 06/08/2015 03:06 PM CDT
Someday I hope we can do a critter review specifically for armor. There is just such a wide range in what is out there...

Like Umbral Moths have the equivalent of heavy plate. But something like cabalists might be cloth/leather for the most part.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Appraising critters to see what type of damage is best against them 06/08/2015 03:18 PM CDT
> Like Umbral Moths have the equivalent of heavy plate.

Does critter armor inflict a maneuvering penalty, or is it reliant on the designer to downgrade their evasion appropriately?
Re: Appraising critters to see what type of damage is best against them 06/08/2015 05:12 PM CDT
>>But something like cabalists might be cloth/leather for the most part.

Cabalists were T6 full plate until some GM said the players would complain and never be able to hurt them and made me nerf them before release... :)

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Appraising critters to see what type of damage is best against them 06/08/2015 09:46 PM CDT
Hah, that might have been me... it tends to make the critters impervious to lighter weapons and multishot or AoE spells :/

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes