Catalyst Questions 08/25/2019 05:01 PM CDT
I am nearing the point where instead of just doing alchemy to train, I'm going to be able to use Alchemy to create products I wish to keep. This, for me, means using Pewter Bars and Electrum Nuggets. Now, I know I can worry about the "Purity" of these items, but let's set that aside for now.

Question # 1 - Does the Ingot Cutter take my 5 volume pewter bars and turn them (with enough cuts) into 1 volume pewter bars, OR, do I have to smelt them all into ingots, and use the ingots in my recipe creation?

Question # 2 - Can I break larger nuggets into smaller nuggets, and if so, how, OR, do I have to smelt them all into ingots, and use the ingots in my recipe creation?

Thank you.

BTW, what is the Crafting Discord link again?
Re: Catalyst Questions 08/25/2019 06:00 PM CDT
>Question # 1 - Does the Ingot Cutter take my 5 volume pewter bars and turn them (with enough cuts) into 1 volume pewter bars, OR, do I have to smelt them all into ingots, and use the ingots in my recipe creation?

No, the cutter only works on "ingots", not bars, nuggets, etc. However, you can use the bars, or in the case of the the electrum, the nuggets, as they are when making a Remedies product. As long as it is a recognized catalyst, the system will take it in whichever form you've got.

>Question # 2 - Can I break larger nuggets into smaller nuggets, and if so, how, OR, do I have to smelt them all into ingots, and use the ingots in my recipe creation?

As far as I know, no...nuggets can not be broken down directly. You'd need to put it (or a number of them) into a crucible, smelt them into an ingot, and then use the cutter to cleave off the amount you'd like.

That being said, during the alchemy process, when you reach the step for adding the catalyst, it will just deduct 1 count from whatever "form" you've got. So if you have a medium nugget, it'll rename to a small nugget, if you have a 101 count ingot, it'll adjust to a 100 count ingot, etc. If you're looking to reduce item count, then smelting your catalysts into a large ingot and just lugging that around works. If you need to keep burden down, then you can just purchase/mine as needed and carry the smaller volume pieces around without the extra step of smelting.

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway
Re: Catalyst Questions 08/25/2019 08:50 PM CDT
>>If you're looking to reduce item count, then smelting your catalysts into a large ingot and just lugging that around works. If you need to keep burden down, then you can just purchase/mine as needed and carry the smaller volume pieces around without the extra step of smelting.

It also helps to have a register to keep item count down. The registers, I seem to recall, are free. If you are mining in the mine near Dirge you just need to push the stone or metal and for a small fee it will deed your stone or metal. You can then put the deed in the register to keep your item count down. You can also buy packets of deeds in some of the societies (if not all). If you push the stone or metal with the packet and have another free hand, the packet will deed it into the free hand. You can get registers, I believe, in any Crafting Society. Just ask one of the NPCs in the Societies for one.

Inside each of us, there is the seed of both good and evil. It's a constant struggle as to which one will win. And one cannot exist without the other. Eric Burdon
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/evil
Re: Catalyst Questions 08/27/2019 09:08 AM CDT

Another option if you're cheap like me is to forage up seolarn weed and crush it in a mortar. Need like ~70 lessons in outdoormanship to find it. And it's all over the place. I've not found any difference in the potency of the remedies using vs pewter vs electrum.

Bluefalcon