Why won't my catalyst work? 01/26/2017 06:46 AM CST
I bought seolarn weed at the alchemy shop in Ratha. It's listed as a catalyst there. Yet, when I try using it, I can't. I can't put it in the press or the grinder, and when I try to give to the alchemy student outside the alchemy shop to fix this herb he won't fix it, and since I BUGed it like the alchemy student says too, but any bug I report seems to take forever to be responded too if at all. I decided to post here. And why doesn't the Alchemy Society (at least the one Ratha) not sell any catalyst in the first place. Only the alchemy shop there does, I can't use any of those catalyst. Note: I paid good coin for those catalyst.

Signed,

Very Frustrated and Angry

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/martin_luther_king_jr.html
Re: Why won't my catalyst work? 01/26/2017 07:14 AM CST
All non-society shops sell old herbs, which aren't updated to the new system. If you want an easy catalyst, buy some coal from the forging society.
Re: Why won't my catalyst work? 01/26/2017 08:16 AM CST
So why aren't they updated. It's been well over a year. And why won't the alchemy student "fix" those herbs?

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/martin_luther_king_jr.html
Re: Why won't my catalyst work? 01/26/2017 08:23 AM CST
>>So why aren't they updated. It's been well over a year.

Few developers spread thin over many projects + their own RL's.
Re: Why won't my catalyst work? 01/26/2017 09:55 AM CST
>>Few developers spread thin over many projects + their own RL's.<<

There probably wouldn't be so many projects if they nipped the problems that already existed in the bud before starting new projects. Some current projects are based on previous projects that were never fully fixed. I believe this is the situation with mech lore that someone mentioned should have been stopped when crafting began. These minor bugs should be dealt with before they move on to new projects and these bugs just snowball. I know they wanna try to keep pace with new stuff and keep players stimulated, but doing it the way they have been is just putting problems off until there are too many to be dealt with and the pace of new projects comes to snails pace anyway. Anyway, that is my opinion. I know I'm not one of the game developers, and I don't know all the inns and outs of what they do, but as a player I just find it frustrating that items that the existing crafting systems are based upon aren't working and yet, they want to move on to more crafting developing (Enchanting for example).

I love this game and I really love experience and the crafting systems, but don't let that love for it die by not giving it the kind of care it deserves. The most basic of ingredients for the most basic of craftable items should be found in each an every crafting society without a struggle. Note that I say, "most basic."

Current problems with Alchemy (Was Re: Why won't my catalyst work?) 01/26/2017 10:18 AM CST
>>So why aren't they updated. It's been well over a year. And why won't the alchemy student "fix" those herbs?

If you're easily frustrated I would suggest maybe checking out a different craft skill. Blacksmithing, armorsmithing and weaponsmithing are by far the most fleshed out. Alchemy has a number of issues at the moment including:

- Only Remedies released at the moment.
- Most Remedies aren't worth the time invested to find the correct herb, prepare it, and stack them. This is further compounded by lack of access to some herbs based on season.
- Weight and stacking of potions is still an issue for a lot of characters.
- Lack of "useful" top tier templates.
- Recall Herb not updated

Since I don't want to just complain, I'll also offer a suggestion:
Personally I think a lot of the issues would be solved by adding a general external cure and general internal cure template in the 9-12 difficulty range. Internal and External scars already have this and it would cut down from having to carry 18 (! I had to double check! EIGHTEEN individual items required to heal all wounds on the body) to 4 It gives people something to work towards and it lets people buy something from remedy crafters. Currently I charge 2000 platinum to make a full set of 18 healing items because of the ridiculous amount of time involved in finding all of them, prepping, and crafting. I would bet I can create 4+ sets of full body coverage plate armor in the time it takes to create 1 set of healing herbs, even if I have to make and refine the ingots.

Anyway, just a suggestion. It would require either re-configuring some herbs or adding a few plus, but to me it's the single easiest thing to add to make remedies viable.
Re: Current problems with Alchemy (Was Re: Why won't my catalyst work?) 01/26/2017 02:43 PM CST
>> So why aren't they updated. It's been well over a year. And why won't the alchemy student "fix" those herbs?

Can't remember for sure, but I believe herb shops were going to continue to sell old herbs that are usable as is, but less effective than remedies.
A lot of people still use those and there would be a lot of complaints if they took away the last reliable way to get herbs that can heal without turning them into remedies.

I am pretty sure the alchemy student fixed "really old" herbs by turning them into "old" herbs.

You could forage seolarn or buy coal.
Re: Current problems with Alchemy (Was Re: Why won't my catalyst work?) 01/26/2017 05:18 PM CST

super easy way to reduce the frustration and multitask... get your alchemy craft book out, appraise focus book and then forage a pile of seolarn weed, by the time you crush a herb pouch stack full your app focus time is done and you can start crafting and get the exp bonus while you do it.

doesn't fix the herb issue but is a nice way to get more out of the process.

i feel like the not enough dev time excuse for these systems being broken in the middle of a microtrans quest event thing is kind of a disingenuous excuse. not to beat a dead horse, but i don't buy the "the gm's just don't have time to finish these projects" excuse so much as the gms are not really allowed to put the time in to finishing these systems because they can't charge simucoins for them. (not at all a shot at the gms, just pointing out all the things that they have get to, when systems like this are still incomplete and broken)
Re: Current problems with Alchemy (Was Re: Why won't my catalyst work?) 01/26/2017 10:58 PM CST
>- Weight and stacking of potions is still an issue for a lot of characters.

While prepared herbs still weigh a lot, finished remedies don't weigh that much anymore. IIRC, 5 doses only comes to 1 stone.
Re: Current problems with Alchemy (Was Re: Why won't my catalyst work?) 01/28/2017 12:50 PM CST

It would be great to see a higher tier remedy that does external body and one that will do the internal body.