Player crafted Pewter? 01/17/2017 12:15 PM CST
So while mining the other day I came across a vein of both tin and lead. I was super excited and made some pewter ingots. Then realized that player crafted pewter is not usable as a remedy catalyst. Is there a reason for this? Is is planned to be a thing? Or just was I doing it wrong? Thanks!

Alesea
Re: Player crafted Pewter? 01/17/2017 12:27 PM CST

It's usable. You did something wrong.
Re: Player crafted Pewter? 01/17/2017 12:27 PM CST
Odd. I've been using pewter ingots I made for remedies.
What happens when you try to use it?

You should be able to "put ingot in <bowl/mortar>" and it will put a single volume in, then put the ingot away.
Re: Player crafted Pewter? 01/17/2017 01:00 PM CST

Does it have to be a certain purity? When I appraise it, it only shows the metal stats not the catalyst stats. And when I try to use it, I get messaging to the effect of "You should use something else". I trashed them since it wasn't working. I'll try to find some more and see if I can figure out what I did wrong. Thanks!

Alesea
Re: Player crafted Pewter? 01/17/2017 01:15 PM CST
Did you mix them in the correct ratio? 3 volumes tin to 2 volumes lead. If you used any other ratio, the result won't be 100% pewter and thus won't be an acceptable catalyst.
Re: Player crafted Pewter? 01/17/2017 01:19 PM CST

Yeah, I did. I thought perhaps that you couldn't use 9:6 or whatever so did exactly 3:2 and while I ended up with a "pewter ingot" it wasn't analyzing as a catalyst. At that point I gave up and trashed everything. Heading to a mine to see if I can find some more tin and lead, right now.
Re: Player crafted Pewter? 01/18/2017 03:11 AM CST

9:6 works too. Don't matter. Check the quality of the ingot you might have to refine it. When you use it as a catalyst you put ingot in bowl or mortar and it will rub part of it into the mix. It does work.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Player crafted Pewter? 01/18/2017 09:17 AM CST
Make sure to get the ratio just right since the ingot needs to be 100% pewter to work as a catalyst (quality doesn't matter, just that the ingot is only made of pewter). You can check this by analyzing your ingot with the Master Metallurgy technique or by deeding the ingot. If you deed it, look for the line "certified pure by MAMAs" when you read the deed.
Re: Player crafted Pewter? 01/18/2017 10:33 AM CST
Your problem is most likely that you have a tiny bit too much tin or lead. Unlike forging, you need a 100% pure ingot for alchemy.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Player crafted Pewter? 01/18/2017 10:35 AM CST

I forged one with nuggets last night that works. Gonna try to smelt an ingot of my tin and lead and work from there and see what happens. Maybe try refining it all down as well. I'm still learning the forging crafting system so this is all trial and error for me.

Alesea
Re: Player crafted Pewter? 01/18/2017 11:29 AM CST
>>Gonna try to smelt an ingot of my tin and lead and work from there and see what happens. Maybe try refining it all down as well.

Just make sure your ratios are correct. Having something that is 99% pewter and 1% tin won't work in alchemy. Refining it, regrettably, won't resolve that.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.